Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumas Star Class 30" Sailboat  (Read 3590 times)

Pearlsfirstmate

• Full Mayhemer
  • Pearl - the real thing!
Dumas Star Class 30" Sailboat
« on: January 15, 2014, 08:51:20 am »

Morning Guys,

Has anyone built and sailed one of these yachts.  Looking for ideas for a birthday present and wondered what the quality of the kit was like and how well she sails?

Ideally I'm looking for a wooden yacht kit of about this size and price.

Any comments or ideas much appreciated  :-)

slug

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Dumas Star Class 30" Sailboat
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 08:19:45 pm »

don't know the above boat but aeronaut make a few yachts.not built one but the diva cabin cruiser is a simple build in mahogany and looks very nice.gliders of Newark are stockists.on aeronauts web site the give a download,maybe worth a look  tony

Pearlsfirstmate

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 09:28:35 pm »

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the suggestion, the Aeronaut Diva has already been made and turned out to be a nice little boat,  it was a wooden hull rc sailing yacht I was after and the Dumas Star Class 30 seemed to fit the bill.

Cornwall Model Boats have it listed as part of their range but before buying it would have been nice to hear what others thought of the kit/build quality and how she performs on the water.

Thanks once again  ;)

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 08:37:41 pm »

aeronaut make a yacht about that size called the bella...a larger one is called the bellisama same build as the diva     tony

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 01:39:11 am »

I posted a photo of the Star Class 30 for those not familar with it. Nice looking kit, not what I think of as a "high performance" design. I have built one Dumas kit and enjoyed the process. This looks like it would be a pretty straight forward build. The price seems reasonable enough.

There are a number of kits worth consideration - take a look at this link http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767639
It has a list of kit manufactures here in the US and some others on the other side of the pond. I like Victor Models and Tippecanoe Kits and my current favorite under construction is the CR 914. Contact information for all of these can be found at the link provided.
Boomer

Pearlsfirstmate

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 09:41:50 am »

Brilliant Guys - thank you  :-))

I've also posted a photo of Tony's suggestion the Aeronaut Bella

I appreciate the fact that neither will be "high performance" but looking for something that would be nice to build with the added bonus of sailing her occasionally when complete and I think both of these fit the bill nicely. Will now have to make a decision which to choose!

Many thanks once again  :-)

Pearlsfirstmate

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 11:18:04 am »

Just to conclude - we went for the Aeronaut Bella  :-)

The 2 kits arrived today, sourced from Puffin Models in Bristol, they were most helpful and very efficient  :-))

The kits look great and we both have itchy fingers and want to make a start BUT the deal was to finish the 2 we already have on the go so if we can resist they will be a build for the Autumn

Thanks  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.