Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: plasitkote spray paint  (Read 8523 times)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: plasitkote spray paint
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2014, 04:12:26 pm »

For purely "painting", if you are not going to airbrush (Tamiya or Humbrol etc) then stick to Halfords rattle cans.

However, I must state that Plasti-Kote exterior satin varnish (in cans) is a superb and effective protective finish for hulls etc.  A clear very hard UV resistant Polyurathane varnish that does not react with either enamel or acrylic, protects your finish and allows easy cleaning.

Been using it without problems for years on ships that are in regular use, that still look pristine.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

midships

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2014, 08:26:16 pm »

hi all
looked at chrome spray paint for my tamar,all looked a bit bright saw that plasticote now do a brushed nickel in a spray can £9.95 from one of my local builders merchants used on the trim tabs and other bits quite pleased with the results has anybody else used it
regards
howard midships

troutrunner

• -----------------------
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Nil illegitimi Carborundum
    • Web Editor
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2014, 10:47:33 pm »

Plasticoat is a  enamel.......now the main trouble is that it is a one shot paint And will React if a second coat is applied to it.
I have had it react on me when a top coat was applied to the plasticoat primer.......AVOID it like the plauge....if you want to apply an enamel then use household gloss thinned with white spirit.
I honestly don't understand why a modeler would want to spend so much on his model to ruin it with inferior paint...Halfords acrylic spray cans are far superior as they are car paints. Fair comment, you want to airbrush you paint....Tamiya and Humbrol are FAR SUPERIOR  to Plasticoat.......another disadvantage of this stuff is if you scratch your model chances are if you do a repair and recoat it will REACT......IT EVEN TELLS YOU ON THEIR CANS
Dave

Thanks Dave,
   I have taken that on board, what other car paints can I use ? Can I use Cellulose, I am very familiar with this and have one or two colours already, your recommendations please as I really want to use a fairly quick drying Paint.
Paul

Stavros

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2014, 01:31:54 pm »

celulose paint is fine

Dave

troutrunner

• Full Mayhemer
    • Web Editor
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2014, 01:51:41 pm »

Thanks Dave  :-))
Paul

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2014, 08:43:37 pm »

Plasticoat is a  enamel.......now the main trouble is that it is a one shot paint And will React if a second coat is applied to it.
Dave

I used it once a few years back to paint a hull and didn't know then what I soon found out.  When I put a second coat on oh boy did it react - reaction being an understatement.  Horrible nasty stuff - might be good for banksy but not IMHO for painting models.  I would rather chew mothballs and wash them down with domestos than ever use that stuff again.
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

Stavros

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2014, 09:10:18 pm »

I used it once a few years back to paint a hull and didn't know then what I soon found out.  When I put a second coat on oh boy did it react - reaction being an understatement.  Horrible nasty stuff - might be good for banksy but not IMHO for painting models.  I would rather chew mothballs and wash them down with domestos than ever use that stuff again.

Well a least I am NOT the only one who HATES this paint ........if you can call it that  O0 O0

Dave

troutrunner

• Full Mayhemer
    • Web Editor
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2014, 10:05:14 pm »

Well a least I am NOT the only one who HATES this paint ........if you can call it that  O0 O0

Dave

I've never used it and never knew of it's existence before this thread was started, I was really just wondering what others recommend or use, I have sprayed cellulose quite a bit but wasn't sure if it was suitable for model boats but I guess I'll give it a try...........
Paul
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.