Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: asp 46m set up  (Read 2699 times)

gwa84the2nd

• Full Mayhemer
asp 46m set up
« on: January 19, 2014, 05:21:25 pm »

hi peeps ime looking into buying an asp46m to race this year ime buying the engine pipe and manifold from just engines and as i know thers a few guys running this engine i wondard if theres eny setting up pointers re lenth of pipe prop choice for conventional drive ext

cheers  :-))

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
Re: asp 46m set up
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 06:32:40 pm »

Hello mate

I use the SC46 marine which is the predecessor to the ASP badge and I am told almost identical. For conventional straight submerged drive I run it on a 19/19 prop. It runs well on this size in either Mocom, RG, or Prop Shop props. Some say that these engines can pull even bigger sizes. I tried a 19/24 but it loaded the engine too much.

Mine is set up with the Prestwich competition tuned pipe. Pipe length on mine is around 30cm measured from the widest part of the cone along the centre line of the manifold to the centre of the glow plug. Not sure if this measurement will be different with a Just Engines tuned pipe?

Other members might share their experiences.
But if I can be of further help, you are welcome to ask questions.
Cheers
Craig :-))
Forget all insults, always remember compliments.

gwa84the2nd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 12:16:35 am »

cheers bud  :-))

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 03:56:19 pm »

hi peeps ime looking into buying an asp46m to race this year ime buying the engine pipe and manifold from just engines and as i know thers a few guys running this engine i wondard if theres eny setting up pointers re lenth of pipe prop choice for conventional drive ext

I know that this may seem silly, but don't make the same mistake as me.  I bought an as new Irvine 46 marine from Ebay for my next A class boat.  Needed a pipe and manifold for it so went to the Just engines site and found just what was wanted, especially the manifold with the wide bend to get exhaust around the fuel tank. When it arrived , it fitted perfectly EXCEPT when you mount the engine at the required angle to get the shaft out of the bottom of the boat, because JE's standard manifolds are straight, the exhaust points at the bottom of the boat as well.

Just Engines were very good when I phoned to explain and said if I sent it back, they would effectively angle it up the required amount (at cost) , which they did . Simply didn't occur to me when I ordered as I was so caught up in measuring bolt spacing on the engine for fixing the manifold etc!!  Another silver hair moment!  Somewhere on their site when you look for it, they do mention special requirements for boats. Didn't spot that till afterwards

gwa84the2nd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 08:44:47 pm »

ye ive had one of there manifolds before and made the same mestake ime waiting on a quote for a water coled angled one atm :-))

black magic racing

• Full Mayhemer
  • when winning is all . it stops being a hobby
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 09:03:17 pm »

hi,i know a man that can make one for you.he has made most of ours and can be found on the bmprs web site his name is the famous bernard holder and he does a very good job and will outlast the boat :-)) im sure he can help out O0 O0
FAST is never FAST enough
Black Magic Racing with BMPRS    Telford Model Boat Club
Birkenhead Model Power Boat club Vice Commodore

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 10:01:06 pm »

hi,i know a man that can make one for you.he has made most of ours and can be found on the bmprs web site his name is the famous bernard holder and he does a very good job and will outlast the boat :-)) im sure he can help out O0 O0

Well said Kurt!

The manifold on my SP46/ASP engine  was hand made by the same fellow, Bernard holder. And it was at the correct angle for my installation with water cooling.
I should however add that I would not at all knock the products and service from Just Engines. From what I have seen they are a great supplier with excellent service and if buying bespoke products the key thing is to specify exactly what you want.

Craig
Forget all insults, always remember compliments.

gwa84the2nd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 10:41:06 pm »

just so hapens that the hull it will be going in is made by sead man  :-))

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 11:15:03 pm »

Same here.  I have 3 Crusader hulls courtesy of Ebay!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.