Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Richelieu-class. Roma battleships  (Read 6644 times)

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
Richelieu-class. Roma battleships
« on: October 25, 2013, 12:56:49 am »

Does anyone know where i can get the french Richelieu-class battleship drawings  and the  Italian Roma battleship drawings too??  %)

Cheers  Frank....   :P

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Richelieu-class. Roma battleships
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 01:22:19 pm »

Wow,thats a bit different in price to what we have to pay for plans from the National Maritime Museum.Most of which is a handling charge.I understand that is for someone to walk down to the plan store pull out a drawer,extract the plans,photocopy them (about £20 from an architects copier)put them back in the drawer,and return to his warm office,probably having a tea break.Cynical? maybe!
But another instance of the great British Rip Off.
Sorry,forgot the white gloves as the plans are 100 years old.
Rant over, good luck with the build,either ship certainly looks like a challenge!
Mick F

marinemole

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 02:16:52 pm »

I've been looking at the Richelieu, North Carolina and Alaska and am almost settled on the Richelieu.

Treat the free archive drawings of Richelieu with caution as there are discrepancies between them, the shape of the turrets for instance. As always with shipyard drawings things change during construction and the changes are not always reflected in the drawings.

I bought the Kageroo 3d book which contains a good arrangement drawing, plus hull sections to a scale of 1:400. I got this enlarged to 1:100 a couple of weeks ago. How accurate this drawing is I can't say, but as I want to build the Richelieu in post refit America condition I'll go with that. The 3d illustrations are excellent and for about £10 including delivery excellent value for money I thought.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Battleship-Richelieu-Super-Drawings/dp/8362878428/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=AHRB2OK2Q2YCL

There is also a Halinski card kit which could prove useful. Not CAD produced, like the Fuso which I have found invaluable in my build of this vessel, but still worth a look. Currently out of print but available as a download on file sharing sites.

I've also recently bought the book French battleships

http://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Battleships-1922-1956-John-Jordan/dp/1848320345/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382706294&sr=8-1&keywords=french+battleships

Very interesting with lots of info on Richelieu and Jean Bart, but insufficient as a sole source to build a model.

Good luck whichever model you decide to build.

Andy

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 03:53:53 pm »

Hi Andy,

It is a great shame that the Servicehistorique website went down as they had drawings for an awful lot of French stuff (that's where those Richelieu drawings came from).

I managed to nab quite a lot of stuff before the hack, sadly, one or two slipped through the net.

That French battleships book is excellent. Well worth the money.

As someone pointed out, those French battleships fought more battleship-battleship actions in WW2 than anyone else, apart from the RN .... sadly, against the RN and USN.

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 07:44:09 pm »

Fellow mayhem buddy's.  That you for taking the time to post the information I required.    Frank

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 09:08:05 pm »

Fleetscale do a set of 1/128.
I do know of a 1/100 Scale hull and drawings.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 09:31:01 pm »

Hi Bob not sure on the scale yet as still working out who is building what and scales. As they want to build a Battleships Sqadron. To get many as possible together!  %% 
Frank....... :P

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 09:42:17 pm »

At 1/100 scale Paul Beckley (Original Sirmar owner) made a complete set of fittings for 1 of the French display models.
Unfortunately with all the changes these are yet to surface if at all.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 12:26:02 am »

I guess thats the case when people take over anything.  Folk today don't know the full true story and only know what people tell them.  But if you were to see where it all started from and how it grew into an established name. They appreciate the hard work and dedication to the hobby!  As with model making its more a labour of love.  Its a shame that clash of personality and ego can do more harm than good. As at the end of the day we make the models to relax and have a love for  the real ships that we are modelling of.  But that's the society we live in today. To busy about me! And not thinking about what harm they cause to others! ! <:(

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 01:32:09 pm »

I think I have a set at 1/100 scale purchased many years ago in Paris together with a few large photographs of the model in question.

I'll try to remember to check later when I get home.

Geoff

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 02:19:54 pm »

I have a set of plans at 1/100 along with 8 foot plus hull that I'm very slowly building into something different.

Will have to check which year my plans are for but I think it's from 1945-46 I maybe wrong.
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 12:15:59 pm »

Heller kitted the Richelieu at 1:400. Review here:

http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/fr/richelieu/400-heller/richeliu.htm

According to the review the kit is accurate. Could be helpful in interpreting the drawings. I'd have found it hard to choose between Richelieu and Alaska, both attractive ships and rarely modelled.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

marinemole

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 04:32:53 pm »

Does anyone have a copy of  the magazine Naval Monographies No 1 featuring  the Richelieu which they would be willing to sell? It's now out of print and I would like to buy a copy.

Andy

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 08:04:26 pm »

Try "Profile Morskie" they do plans plus a book to build models, they cover the vessels you are after and are very good value with a lot of data and modelling detail.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.