Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's in a tablet and can the wife keep taking them?  (Read 5005 times)

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
Re: What's in a tablet and can the wife keep taking them?
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2014, 06:46:32 pm »

My iPad doubles as a GPS chart plotter when on the boat. Obviously we have a 'proper' GPS but the iPad is just as accurate and easier, faster and more intuitive to use than the ££££ boat one!

I'm not really after a new tablet at the moment, but if I was I'd be after another iPad, as they're hands down the easiest to use and the most widely supported. As for the cost, I generally buy secondhand ones, so the price is far more bearable.

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2014, 07:12:32 pm »

I have a Google Nexus 7, which runs on Android. I got the 3g version so I can keep up away from home. I love the thing, it goes everywhere with me apart from work, and I have my phone!

I have avoided Apple products for a lot of years after finding out their online customer help wasn't exactly great. I had a problem syncing my I-pod to Itunes, Apple wouldn't give me advice online/over the phone unless I paid for it (?), the forums yielded no results and the nearest apple shop was in Newcastle, which at 16 years old I would struggle to get to! That was about 4 years ago now, I've used Android ever since, never looked back...!

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2014, 07:15:54 pm »

;)

if you want free connections send your wife at Mac-Do
she can stay as long she wants  >>:-(

but it will still grow     O0 O0  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2014, 09:07:33 pm »

I particularly like the fact that it doesn't need instructions. It either does it itself or is totally intuitive in use. Jerry.

A tablet, or any touch screen device, is the method by which manufacturers save the cost of keyboard components, usualy without reducing the price much.

As for "intuitive", I have a Samsung Galaxy Note II with which there were absoletely no instructions.  Couldn't figure out 90% of it untill I found and downloaded the 400 page online technical manual.  Samsung "saved" the cost of that too by using the daft term 'intuitive'.  We're being conned IMHO.  Bring back proper mobiles with QWERTY keyboards.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2014, 09:08:57 pm »

Lenovo 6000
Not a bad unit  :-)) :-))

Captain Povey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2014, 05:56:17 pm »

I got a second hand Nexus 7 from ebay just before Christmas and it got me out of a hole when the laptop hard drive died. It was cheap (less than £200) because they were about to launch a newer version. It came in the original packaging, was factory reset and worked perfectly from day one. WiFi range is good and it does all I want it to do. Even Ramona has been using it. It fits well between what I can do on the HT smart phone and is easier to carry around than the laptop, 7" is enough for anybody. It is 32gb and I do not use it with a simm card so wifi only. Camera was a bit limited until I downloaded a camera starter app. and it does only have a forward facing camera but so what. Cheers, Graham. :-))

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2014, 07:44:59 pm »

Personally find 7 to small, 10.5 gives just that more scope.

Tablets just to many choices  %%

Alan R

• Shipmate
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2014, 01:13:57 pm »

Hi
I have just purchased a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 and I have found that it does everything that I want it to do. It too came with an instruction book that told you only how to switch in on so I had to down load the manual from the internet. luckily I have an uncapped ADSL line from my service provider so I was not worried about its size. I find it is very easy to use as the operation of it is very similar to Galaxy mobile phones. And yes SWMBO has taken to it like a duck to water.
I have a S4 phone & a Samsung desktop which has Kies3 on it so I can sync all the devices together. I also run the TV, Playstation 3 ( for the grandchildren, that's what I tell SWMBO ), the Blu-ray players, SWMBO's mobile and hers & mine laptop. I must say it all works beautifully. My eldest granddaughter who works for an IT company says I am not a "Man with his toys" but a "Grandfather with an IT dept."
Anyway back to playing with my toys ( and before anybody says anything now that I have got the workshop sorted out and all the jobs done resulting from moving into a new house I will start boat building. First project I hope will be the Model Slipway Trent lifeboat once it is re-released).
All the best.
Alan R

All the best
Alan R
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.