Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What's in a tablet and can the wife keep taking them?  (Read 5008 times)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
What's in a tablet and can the wife keep taking them?
« on: January 20, 2014, 07:26:29 pm »

Evening All!

SWMBO has ordained that she 'NEEDS' a tablet. She's marginally younger than retirement age but 'NEEDS' one for when she goes to see her mother (97) once a week so she can keep up with her e-mails etc.

I fully admit that I know b....r all about anything later than Windows XP and anything smaller than a 17" screen,
She has refused to go to any shop where the average age of the staff appears to be 12 on the basis that she'll be sold a pup.

So I'm on my knees asking for the answers to some fundamental questions.

1. Can she access our normal AOL e-mail account from a tablet and can she send e-mails from the tablet/
2. Can she smurf the web?
3. Can she watch download and watch old TV programmes (Preferably Dinnerladies/Vicar of Dibdob)?
4. Is a tablet in effect a small laptop?

If the answer to all the above is in the affirmative, is there an operating thingy that's better than the rest?

I think that I'll go and lie down now.......................... O0

Tony

plug

Re: What's in a tablet and can the wife keep taking them?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 07:44:56 pm »

I'm not good with modern technology but i think the answer to the questions are yes provided she is within range of a wireless modem which the tablet has to be paired to. She can't, say take them on bus and get the internet as far as i know, as said it has to be in range of the modem, that's as much as i know  unless things have change

regards Jack.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 07:46:39 pm »

Meethinks you've opened a can of worms        {-)     {-)      {-)

Over to the members.

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

kmmbcwebmaster

• Full Mayhemer
    • Kingsmill MBC
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 08:02:55 pm »

A tablet is basically a mini laptop and there are two main operating systems to choose from Google or Windows in the budget range of tablets.
The main difference between a laptop and a tablet is with a tablet you are mainly using apps rather than installed software .
If just looking to use for email , social networking ect then something like the nexus 7 or samsung galaxy tab would be ok for you very simple to set up and use and not to pricey.
just tugging along

ixion

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 08:16:19 pm »

She can't, say take them on bus and get the internet as far as i know

You can if you get one with 3G as aswell as WIFI

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 08:36:08 pm »

Yes, quite a can of worms!

The answers to your questions are all yes if, as has been said, there is a wireless internet connection available.  There is probably not one at her mum's unless her mum is on line.  Most of the services are also available via a phone 3G network, but if she is serious about watching TV I would go for a 10" tablet, not a phone.  There are a few tablets that come with a detachable keyboard and are genuinely small laptops.

Apart from the Apple products (overpriced and overrated in my opinion) you are looking at either a Windows or an Android operating system.  I use an Android tablet a lot (I am typing this on it) and at the user level there is not much difference in functionality - you can get word processing, spreadsheet, web browsers and so on just as you can with a Windows machine.

I suggest you look on Amazon at the tablets they have there and read a few (or a lot) of the user reviews.  I have found that these help me to narrow the choice down quite a lot. 

Good luck!   :-) :-)) 

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 08:45:07 pm »

I would steer clear of the windows tablets as well unless they are running a full version of windows, steer clear of the cheaper RT ones but then you are talking almost laptop money.
As for apple products.... overpriced maybe, overrated maybe, but if you want something safe and easy to use then it is certainly a sensible choice. (Writing this from my iPad air)
When it comes to android tablets, immediately discount the cheap Chinese ones found on ebay and the like and go for one by a known brand.  The Asus Iconia or the Sony Xperia tablet would be my choices
Android tablets may be cheaper but they are also less secure than apple products.
So you pays your money and takes your choice
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 09:02:02 pm »

The bus from Peterborough to Cambridge via Huntingdon has Wi Fi and 3 pin sockets for charging.
Don't Assume Check

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 09:19:00 pm »

Aaaaaarrrggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Thanks so far all but can I go back to the post from kmmb (hope you don't mind the nickname).

What is an app? Is it, for example, a key to some remote software haven?
She and me watched an oldish Gadget Show this morning because they were surveying tablets and they mentioned some ridiculous number of apps (400,000 I believe) being available for one £130 tablet. I said that I'm not far from abacus levels!

She's not that serious about watching telly by the way, but it would be a possible asset.

Sorry to be a bit slow but I hope that some of the answers may be useful to other members of the mega-forum that is Mayhem.

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 09:24:02 pm »

Get her a "Kindle Fire" (from Amazon) ....... I have one and they are fantastic. Not a lot of money ....... and as well as beining an e reader they:

Do email
Web Browser
Loads of aps, recipes, music and stuff
Watch TV
Plays Music
Stores Photos and videos......

Cheers
Peter

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 10:04:10 pm »

An app is a capability - you download the ones you want, eg uk tide tables, games, BBC news, i-player, facebook, an app for your e-mail etc. They all appear as thumbnails on your home screens. I don't really understand it but my grandson does. I've got a Google Nexus and SWMBO has a Tesco hudl - very cheap with Tesco vouchers doubled-up, more connectivity than the Mk 1 Nexus, but a bit slower and freezes now and again. I'd say go for it - even the 7" ones are useful and so much handier than the 10".

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 12:26:55 am »

I've had a 16 gig I phone for ages and so only use the desktop to look at big pictures as the iPhone is better than my desktop. I never saw the need personally for an iPad, however the wife likes to watch movies and TV if we watch conflicting programs so she got an iPad mini? It does everything my phone does except phone but who cares as we use FaceTime which communicates between any apple gear for free. It is more expensive but you get what you pay for. I particularly like the fact that it doesn't need instructions. It either does it itself or is totally intuitive in use. My ageing mother had desk tops, kindle fire and others but never mastered any of them. She got an iPad and hasn't looked back since.
Jerry.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 12:55:47 am »

Get her a "Kindle Fire" (from Amazon) ....... I have one and they are fantastic. Not a lot of money ....... and as well as beining an e reader they:

Do email
Web Browser
Loads of aps, recipes, music and stuff
Watch TV
Plays Music
Stores Photos and videos......
The Kindle Fire is very attached to Amazon. Any respectable tablet will do all those things.

I've had a 7" tablet for about 18 months, but recently I've upgraded my smartphone to one with a 5" screen and it's almost as usable as the tablet (better in some ways); plus it has the 3G/4G capability. For travelling it would save carting two devices around (assuming she has a phone too) and I will probably not bother with taking my tablet away with me in future. That said I don't watch TV programmes on it, but YouTube works fine.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 01:18:41 am »

Here is an article that might help. http://businesstoday.intoday.in/story/pros-and-cons-of-buying-a-tablet-smartphone-or-ultrabook/1/188057.html
For reference, an ultrabook is a super lightweight laptop that will do everything a laptop will do (except those with Windows RT operating system, mentioned above, although Windows Pro will do it all). However, ultrabooks are much more expensive the regular laptops.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

kmmbcwebmaster

• Full Mayhemer
    • Kingsmill MBC
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 06:41:49 am »

An app is basically a shortcut button on your screen example you download aol app onto your tablet enter your email details to set it up .once set up you just need to tap on the aol icon and it will open your email account .
There are thousands of free apps on the market for all kinds of applications but be aware there are free apps out there that require a purchase for add ons so always read the terms and conditions before you download.

"(hope you dont mind nickname)" I've been called a lot worse tony   %)
just tugging along

bj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 08:09:49 am »

One thing is for sure in that you will not be able to buy a cheap iPad . Other types may be heavily discounted but not Apple products.
Have not found a way to copy and paste a link from one file into another (I.e. A Mayhem thread into a new post).
Odd things happen automatically on iPads such as the capital I following the bracket.
Small devices are useful if you travel and wifi is available on trains as well as some buses now (see dougal99).
Having said that such devices "have their uses" but don't expect it to replace a desktop - I think this iPad is still inferior to my PC BUT there seems to be little need for antivirus software on Apple products.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 09:06:06 am »

The reason (so I am told) that Apples are free of widespread virus activity is that the Apple is the weapon of choice of the hacking community.  Wouldn't want to be infecting each other, would they?   >>:-( <*<

Sorry, hijacked the thread a little there.  Back to topic - Tony, it sounds to me like a Samsung Galaxy or iPhone would fit the bill for your wife.  I too would steer clear of the cheaper end of the tablet market (some of the cheapest don't have an operating system, for example, and reliability can be suspect).  Suppress your suspicions of youthful geeks and go to a shop or two and see a few of the contenders in action.

Confused yet? - I am!   %% %% {-)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 09:28:11 am »

1. Can she access our normal AOL e-mail account from a tablet and can she send e-mails from the tablet/2. Can she smurf the web?3. Can she watch download and watch old TV programmes (Preferably Dinnerladies/Vicar of Dibdob)?4. Is a tablet in effect a small laptop?

1  Yes, provided that a connection is available.  This can be a local wifi, or a connection via what is basically a cellphone network which normally requires some sort of contract.  And the network signal being available.  Better specified ones should have either or both built in, lower ones will need an extra in the form of a dongle. 
2  With connection and an operating system that allows it, yes
3  Depending on the contract (TV progs and movies can take a LOT of your download allowance) and whether the content wanted is actually available. 
4  Yes it is a small laptop, but with a pretend keyboard on the screen.  There are cases available that plug into the mini USB port on the tablet and provide  a folding lid and keyboard, turning it into a mini netbook.

Now, a question for those who know, what are the new breed of big store specials like?  Thinking about the Tesco Hudl, and the similar offerings from Argos and Asda.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 09:48:02 am »

Tesco Hudl - a lot of bang for your buck!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 10:15:19 am »

Tesco Hudl - a lot of bang for your buck!

Agreed.
Not heard a bad word apart from WiFi range a bit iffy.

Ned

Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 10:53:51 am »

Many, many thanks to all from both of us. We can now hold our heads up a bit higher in the faces of our offspring and we can at least ask some of the right questions.

Proof again that the Mayhem tribe speaks sense, well, most of the time :-)) 

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 12:04:08 pm »

Agreed.
Not heard a bad word apart from WiFi range a bit iffy.

Ned

My daughter's Ipad has a range of about 8 feet!  >:-o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 12:42:01 pm »

Goes a lot further if you hold it by one corner and use it like a Frisbee  :-))

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, 12:56:02 pm »

Goes a lot further if you hold it by one corner and use it like a Frisbee  :-))

Regards   Ian.

At last, sensible advice I can understand {-)
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 02:29:11 pm »

Tesco Hudl best bang for your buck at the price. So popular they had sold out their entire stock 3 weeks before xmas and that is countrywide and online!!

We wanted one each, so swimbo settled for a Ipad cos  she has a I phone- me on the other hand settled for the Google Nexus7, I thought the 10 was too large to be a pad and of course I have a Google phone.

Think of apps as the icons that you click on a windows system to use things. You don't have to have the 400 gazillion apps that are advertised for your device. You pick and choose what you want. Your windows comes with them pre-installed or you buy a disk from the shop and put it on yourself. Apps are just the same except you download them direct to the device  from a 'shop' some you can pay for, but remember all those that want money there are 10 times as many that are free and do the job just as well.

On mine I have a word processor, 3 email clients and 2 web browsers, along with the camera and a means of playing video/audio in my case I always go for VLCplayer..
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.