Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motor advice needed  (Read 1560 times)

Skimmer Fan

• Full Mayhemer
Motor advice needed
« on: February 03, 2014, 09:22:09 am »

I have a buhler geared motor I think it came from a scrapped paper shredder on it it says 12 volts.
At 12 volts it rotates to quickly for what I want. At 6 volts it is just about right.
Does anybody know if there would be any problems running it at 6 volts, like draining the battery more quickly.
Regards
Skimmer Fan

morley bill 1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Motor advice needed
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 09:43:38 am »

Buhler motors are normally low drain I would/nt worry  you can put a meter on it and mesure the amps it draws     regards bill...

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Motor advice needed
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 10:44:26 am »

Hi morley bill  1.
The motor you have is a very good quality industrial type motor.
Running the motor on 6 volts will take less current than 12 volts.  You do not decide what current a motor takes.  It depends on the load the motor places on the circuit.
The motor is (loosely) like a variable resistance.  It will take most current when the motor spindle is held stationary with the battery connected.  ( best not to do this) When it is free running it will take the lowest current.

So if the motor is able to drive what you want on 6 volts that is fine.  If necessary it will run at much lower votages probably down to 2 volts, if you try this you will see it runs slower and cannot do as much work as running on a higher voltage.
Hope this helps,
regards Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.