Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building a Dumas Chris Craft Runabout kit  (Read 44534 times)

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: Building a Dumas Chris Craft Runabout kit
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2017, 06:35:06 pm »

On to the aft hatch.  This is a little more straightforward, although I needed to add a bit of mahogany to the edges of the surround as shown in picture 1.  Not sure if this was because the piece was the wrong shape or I cut too much off somewhere - probably the latter  %) .  I used the Dumas wooden latch system to hold this one in place, and other than some patient sanding and filing, there isn't much to do to get the piece to fit.  Picture 2 is what mine looked like when I had finished (but before epoxy, varnish etc.).

Does that provide what you need?

Also, is anyone else interested in this or should Sam and I go to PMs for any future advice? (Can you attach pictures to PMs??)

Greg

Daleb

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2017, 08:05:47 pm »

I'm very interested Greg, I read your original build start to finish and picked up many tips. Am enjoying your detailed pics and info for Sam so please keep it on here  :-))

Dale.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2017, 06:36:45 am »

I'm very interested Greg, I read your original build start to finish and picked up many tips. Am enjoying your detailed pics and info for Sam so please keep it on here  :-))

Dale.

:-) :-))

samc

• Shipmate
« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2017, 07:02:19 pm »

thank you GREG, :-))
 i'm just up to this part, cut the eng hatch out yesterday, and was trying to figure
how things fit together. not sure if some of the wood, was to fit over the side pieces. or??
 but with you pictures, and thank you for so many, they are a blessing
making things alot easier. how i have some pictures and a plan on how to finish this
part off.......
now i guess i will start on the front deck next week. that look like a fun job.
will be using you picts a lot
got them on a memory stick and plug it into the TV in my room, so its just great to see a big
picture and know what to do, or look for.
 will have more questions next week, when i start the front deck, and side pieces,
samc

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2017, 10:21:03 pm »

Glad to be of help - and it's great that you saved the pictures!  I do hope to reinstate them here at some point, but that will probably take a bit of time.

Happy modelling!

Greg

samc

• Shipmate
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2018, 08:29:36 pm »

THANK YOU for your information. i did finish, the wood part, now the finishing the sides and bottom are not going very well, getting alot of little pot marks, (fisheye). have tried every, cleaning before with several chemicals, sanding a lot,  still not a good finish, not smooth, tried foam brushing, auto body spreader like a credit card,
help anyone out there 
using zpoxy, with no fiberglass, is that the problem,,, no glass.... help

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2018, 08:13:50 am »

Well done, looks a good job. Your problem with the epoxy is common and nothing to do with not using glass cloth. I had some fish-eyes even though I thought I had cleaned everything thoroughly. Ultimately, you just have to polish them out. How many coats of epoxy have you put on? You will need two or three to get enough depth to allow rubbing down those imperfections. You could try thinning the epoxy slightly with epoxy thinners or acetone, this might stop the fisheyes forming. The other important thing is to make sure any previous coat of epoxy is cleaned of amine blush, which can form when it is cold and damp - like now! Washing will do that and a gentle rubbing down will do no harm. At this stage I used a roller to apply the epoxy. The finish is nothing to write home about but you get a good, even coat with less chance of runs.

Persevere and it will come good. Once you have a fair finish to the epoxy, lots of coats of varnish followed by cutting back and polishing will give you that mirror finish your model deserves. Have fun!  :-))

Greg

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2018, 08:17:21 am »

Your issue with the finish is z poxy its the wrong stuff to use imo,what you need is finishing or ordinary laminating epoxy which is thinner and more suitable .Apply with brush then use an old credit card to scrape most of it off,this gives you a thinner coat and less to sand down between coats,i do 4 coats and finish is usually good if you do it right you wont need to varnish .
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.