Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Motorcyclists  (Read 45029 times)

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
Re: Motorcyclists
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2007, 03:11:30 pm »

I think i might be slightly 'out on my own' here...

Two bikes..

A 1934 350cc hand change Koehler Escoffier (its French) under restoration..

..and..

1938 500cc Vincent HRD Comet....  O0

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2007, 08:14:47 am »

The missis got fed up of having a sore rear on our trusty 22 year old Intruder so she decided it was time for a change.  Consequently she dragged me down to the bike shop and bought herself a new bike, for me to drive her around on!!

She loves it, the shame is her rear doesn't need rubbing any more!!! ::)
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2007, 11:11:18 am »

So Richard what did SHE " Force " upon you then ??  ;)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2007, 11:51:25 am »

That's hers above.  Mine is still the VFR but the new one is for taking her ladyship out!  I do actually enjoy riding it and the missis thinks it is brilliant so I'm not complaining.  She is actually suggesting rides out now!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

DaveB

« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2007, 07:19:44 pm »

Hi
I used to run a 74 T140v  Bonneville and as soon as i stop spending too much i'll buy a nice big Harley
Daveb

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2007, 04:10:06 pm »

Dave, I always fancied a Harley.... until I sat on a Sportster and took the wife for a blast on it. That has got to be the most uncomfortable bike I have ever ridden! If you use a vibratory power tool extensively, it causes a numbness in the fingers known as 'White finger', well I nicknamed this machine 'White Willy'!! Couldn't wait to get of the thing and hand it back to the owner.
Conversley, although Triumphs are known for their vibratory nature, especially at speed, all my pillion passengers have always commented on how comfortable my old machine is and I even had one passenger who said she felt like falling asleep. Perhaps that was down to my boring driving rather than the bike though.. I don't thrash it as it is a 36 year old now and I hate the thought of re-building the engine again..
Chris   

DaveB

« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2007, 06:41:23 pm »

Hi Chris
Maybe its the thought of the missus not wanting to go on the back that is part of the appeal, i do agree the the sporty is a bit on the rough side as regards to the ride but the dyna's are very nice, i look forward to getting back on the road full time again its been the best part of 20 years since i did any serious riding.
Dave

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2007, 10:56:55 pm »

Hi Dave, never ridden any of the bigger Harleys but they look the mutts nutz. As I buzz down the Norwich by-pass, I just love the way they sail past my revving Triumph , with those big pots going' bang bang' every 50 yards. As much as I would love one, it would'nt suit the area I tend to ride in as it's all twisty lanes ,the old Trumpet winds its way through these with the pegs almost on the floor so I guess I'm sticking with it.
I came back to biking after 25 years and took a bike test... what an eye opener that was.... and what a life saver too. I failed it first time for doing something daft I never would do normally but succeeded second time round. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience and would recommend any re-born biker out there do the same. As car drivers, we think we know how to drive and feel we are safe but taking that up to date bike test really helped me realise how little we know and totally vulnerable we really are.
I think everyone should undergo a course of bike instruction before they are actually put through for a car test... roads would be a safer place.

Sorry Dave... rambled off on a grey haired bit of a tangent there!!! :P
Chris   

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2007, 04:32:12 pm »

I'm not really into bikes, never have been, but isn't it true that bikers in general have very mixed feelings about Harleys? One model boating friend has one and loves it to bits, he does custom paintwork on them as a part time business. He doesn't ride it long distances though, pulls it on a trailer behind his van when he goes on holiday. I also know two other people who bought new Harleys, one sold his after only riding it for a few weeks and gave up bikes altogether, the other one owned his for only a few days, did a swap for a Ducati, which was what he'd been riding before, and told me it was the worst bike he ever owned, I think vibration and handling were the two things he disliked about it most, I didn't dare ask if he's had a test drive before buying it. I don't know enough the subject to take sides in this debate, but why do Harleys seem to polarise opinion so much among bikers? They all seem to either love them or hate them.
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....

DaveB

« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2007, 05:26:16 pm »

Hi Chris
I've got to agree my old Strumpit was a joy to thrash around the country lanes in deepest sussex she never twitched and stayed true to line, and i learnt a lot about looking after an engine.
Ammo was asking what it is about Harleys that splits opions, for me its's just something about that big v twin rumble and leisurely criuser riding position i've tried a couple of the modern crotch rockets but you can't feel the bloody things. well thats my ramble over i've got to earn some money now.
Dave

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2007, 06:06:23 pm »

I reckon that Harleys have such a fanatical following in the US that they have never felt the requirement to move into the 20th century, never mind the 21st!!  Over there they buy them and then spend as much again adding the bits to it to make it go faster, go round corners, stop, look good etc. yet you can buy a Jap V twin that has the character of the engine with the refinement of some decent engineering. 

The engineering in the average Harley is 30 years old and it shows in the performance, handling and maintenance of the things.  If you look at my new one above however a similar standard of Harley would cost at least another two grand.  Why this should be the case remains one of the great mysteries of motorcycling, along with why anyone would buy a two wheeled tractor in the first place!!

cdsc123

« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2007, 06:11:09 pm »

Anmo, it is a good question. The answer, I think, is partly that Harley owners have bought into an image thang whereas the vast majority of owners of other makes have sought technology, comfort, speed or some other (valid) value not associated with pretty colours, chrome, swoopy styling and an exhaust that says potato when they chose their steed (which cost a fraction of the price).
Harleys are overpriced fashion statements, most other makes (certainly Triumph and Jap makes) provide technologically up to date bikes, and usually you get what you pay for.  
As you can see, just a completely unbiased opinion!

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2007, 05:30:02 am »

Harleys are definately more expensive than any other bike as you have to also buy a ute or van to bring it back home after you go for a ride......... ;D ;D ;D

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

warbird

« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2007, 06:37:12 pm »

Well boys n' girls, Having read through this thread I have come to the conclusion that there is the same split between boaters as there is with some bikers! i.e., Sailing boats & Scale sail, & Harleys & the rest!! Why folks (Bunkerbarge, cdsc & cbr to name a few) seem to s l a g off Harleys I don't quite understand, I own a Harley Road King Classic, I look many other bikes when I go to meets & while sports bikes are not my thing I can appreciate the technology that is built into them, I don't knock them, It's horses for courses! A little more open mindedness would maybe a good thing ;)

I don't look on mine as a 'fashion statement' I also don't need a van when I go on a ride out, having owned Harleys for the last few years I've never had a mechanical failure! (Maybe it's because I maintain it myself) I don't feel the need to go blasting off down the road at warp speed, It will go like a rocket if I want it to (1450cc injection) but If you go too fast folks can't see the chrome!
As for the cost, did I ask you to pay for my bike? You pay what You want to pay & I'll do the same!  So, come on guys lighten up, there's always someone else’s take on a subject & it's nice to be interested in what others do in life, just because It doesn't fit in with how we feel doesn't always mean its crap!
Cheers
Warbird (now off me soapbox!)

cdsc123

« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2007, 07:06:34 pm »

A compelling argument, put forward with great eloquence and forethought. Mightily persuasive and impossible to disagree with. A truly fair-minded approach to freedom of choice....

I'll stick to my opinion though, entitled to it as I am!

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2007, 10:19:19 pm »

At the end of the day Warbird a Harley is a bike and I love all bikes but we all have our own preferences and our own styles.  That's what makes motorcycles so diverse and interesting.

I do tend to look at them though purely objectively and compare something like a Harley with an equivilent Japaneese model and there is no comparisson in the standard of engineeing.  I understand the emotional pull, I used to have a Ducati, but I still can't see the reason for the significant higher cost of a Harley.  I have seen inside one and It wasn't pretty!!

I do love all bikes though and have enjoyed riding things as diverse as sports bikes to off road bikes to cruisers to old british stuff to the mopeds I started off with.  I look back on some of them and wonder what the heck I was doing with them!!

I don't think of a split though, I still acknowledge mopeds and scooters when I pass them.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2007, 10:23:15 pm »

I still acknowledge mopeds and scooters when I pass them.

With what sort of gesture Bunkerbarge?  ;)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2007, 11:24:51 pm »

Usually just a nod of the head, although I sometimes wonder why I bother nowadays as all I usually get back is a blank expression, and that's if they see me!!

cdsc123

« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2007, 09:08:33 am »

I have noticed a split between Harley riders and others, I always used to acknowledge them and receive no response and so I gave up, thinking it was part of their whole "I'm so cool thing", perhaps I was wrong and I should have persisted but I have to say I've been on the road on big bikes for over 20 years and in all that time no Harley rider has ever waved at me. I ride sports-tourers so nothing too extreme either way. I have to admit I have never acknowledged scooters etc unless they obviously wave at me first, I see these as an economic means of commuter transport for people who would otherwise not be on two bigger wheels (thank goodness, their road-sense is usually totally lacking in my experience), and where I live there's so many of the little bleeders you'd never have have your hands on the bars! 

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2007, 01:41:20 pm »

Just thought you would like to see my new toy as I broke the gearbox on my other one ::)
It's a 98 Yamaha YZF 600R Thundercat, a very nice bike to ride, handles real nice, very comfortable although Hannah said the pillion seat isn't as comfy compared to my old VFR 750.

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2007, 10:01:10 pm »

Did you run over a TANGO bottle mark, but were going so fast you only got partly TANGO'D.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2007, 10:33:11 am »

Hi Bob, I thought I would go for a subtle and understated colour scheme on my new bike because as you well know I am a shy and retiring type of guy!!!! O0 O0 Just think I could have gone for matching leathers as well and what a sight that would be!!!!!!

Mark you Know when you,ve been tango'd.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2007, 12:16:30 pm »

You've got your work cut out finding a Mustang to match it!!

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2007, 04:36:35 pm »

SWMBO :police: won't let me have another mustang  :'( :'( :'( :'( unless I sell my dayvan and Hannah's Ark Royal won't fit in a mustang anyway so perhaps a change of nickname is in order, how about mustang not a chance!!!

Tango Mark

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2007, 04:59:44 pm »

Why not get one of the four legged variety Mark. They were good enough for the Indians. Hannah could ride it and you could rig up some sort of chariot for the boats. SWMBO would be happy as she'd have some fertilizer for the tomatoes. (And you can ride the bike).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.