Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glue - Plastic sheet to cardboard?  (Read 2342 times)

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
Glue - Plastic sheet to cardboard?
« on: February 01, 2014, 08:12:53 pm »

Hi Gents,
  I would like to know if there's a good glue that will glue plastic sheet 0.5mm and 1.0 mm to card as am about to start a SD14 card model which I'd like to sail but would like if I could to cover the hull in plastic if not think I'd have to try 0,7 ply I know a member on here carlmt did his in ply.
                        Regards Howard.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: glue
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 08:32:44 pm »

Well, a good contact adhesive would work but I'm not sure that is the best way to get a good waterproof hull.  Were I in your shoes, I would go the thin plywood route with a few good coats of paint on it.  The problem with the card is that even if you get the plastic to stick well across the whole hull (tricky) you still have the problem that all model boats will, at some point, get water inside the hull, even if only a few drops.  This will soak into the card and that spells the beginning of the end.  Perhaps if you varnish or paint the inside you might get away with it, but I would still have doubts that every seam on the outside would be fully waterproof.

Wood is good - especially painted/varnished wood  :-))

Greg

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 08:40:10 pm »

would finishing resin work on the hull inside and out????tony

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 08:58:24 pm »

Hi, If it is the card kit that I am thinking of ( the one that you build as per the real one) they are very expensive. Why not copy the card plates in your plastic card and use them. You still have the originals as backup. Nemesis

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 09:01:08 pm »

there have been a number of reports over the years on the card SD14 from Marcle and they all recommended that all you need is a good card/timber glue to glue the card model together, i.e. Aliphatic resin which is water proof, and between sections of double bottoms and double sides treat all areas with a good outdoor polyurethane varnish in satin, and liberal final coats on the outside of the hull when finished, and this gave them ample waterproofing once paint had been added to the ourside of the boat, finally finishing off with a good wax on the hull.
If you go down this route though...DO NOT FORGET, you won't be able to use cellulose or acrylic spray paint, only enamel spray, as the cellulose and acrylic would destroy the integrity of the oil based varnish and you'd end up with a very sticky orange peel mess.

neil.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 11:11:37 pm »

thanks for the replies so far gents and didn't know that about the paints Neil Thanks.
                        regards Howard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.