Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: To Photoshop or not to Photoshop? That is the question..  (Read 4581 times)

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
To Photoshop or not to Photoshop? That is the question..
« on: January 26, 2014, 01:07:59 pm »

Hi All,
    I was the lucky recipient of a Pentax digital SLR camera for my birthday and would like to be able to manipulate some of the images. So, I know that Photoshop is probably the best software on the market, but it aint cheap and is probably far more sophisticated than a beginner like myself is likely to need.
    What software do you guys use? Obviously the best value for money (or free!!) is what I am looking for.
    I have been using "point and shoot" for years, but this SLR is a new toy for me.
    Hope you can share your extensive knowledge with a newbe to the "serious" photography scene.

Dave.
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: To Photoshop or not to Photoshop? That is the question..
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 01:17:11 pm »

I use a free software called GIMP (no joke!). It's pretty much the same as photoshop, well it does the trick for me at least...

Steven

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 01:18:40 pm »

Hi

You won't need the full version of Photoshop instead try Photoshop elements it will do all you want at a much lower cost. You can download a free trial from the adobe website.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=photoshop_elements&loc=us

Richie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 01:20:34 pm »

There is - or was - Photoshop Elements, which is a cut down version and therefore cheaper. If you are interested I have a copy going cheap - PM me.

OK RMH beat me to it - the offer still stands.

Barrie

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 01:31:36 pm »

Another vote here for 'The Gimp' does everything photoshop does and is free, when you find the website look for links to the windows compiled version, or google Gimp for windows, as this software can be run on most operating systems.
Grendel

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 01:34:40 pm »

GIMP!  :-))

Not always obvious but if all you want are the basics then it's excellent.....and free  O0

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 01:49:55 pm »

All photos I post on Mayhem are 'manipulated' using a 14 year old program call PaintShop Pro 7 and a 12 year old program called CompuPic Pro.

Because the programs are so old, they have a very small Windows "footprint" thus loading in just a few seconds and run extremely fast on modern equipment. OK I don't do flash stuff, masking, histograms, etc, but they are fast and cheap, ebay.

I recently tried Photoshop elements, wow, what an over blown pile of equine excreta! Huge 1Gig download, slow and most interesting features turned off. Adobe Lightroom is very good at sorting and quick correcting photos.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 01:58:56 pm »

I have had various versions of Paint Shop Pro, currently on 9.  Does just about all I need to do and very easy to use.  Most of what I do is Crop to Selection. Resize, and Sharpen a bit.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 02:14:56 pm »

First, ensure you have a decent anti-virus programme on your 'puter (Avast, malwarebytes anti virus and C Cleaner are all FREE ) then have a daily  look at http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/   They regularly have FREE photo manipulation programmes.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 02:27:17 pm »

I have been using a free and legal PSP5 since I got it as a freebie on a magazine disc - works OK on all windows since 3.1.  Cumbersome for "clever" stuff because of its age.  I've had a go at later versions, which improved right up to the time that JASC got bought by Corel, when it degenerated into feature rich bloatware.
These days I mostly use Irfan.  It free, basic and fast.  From being almost only a viewer way back when it started, it is now a useful image manipulator.
I look for most of my programs on http://www.majorgeeks.com/  They tell you whether its freeware or otherwise and there are comment pages where users pass judgement on the worth of the program.
The caveat with most free downloads is that you must read the options as they appear to avoid becoming overloaded with undesirable "recommended" so-called "extras" like search engines and toolbars.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 03:57:40 pm »

Photoshop elements is the way to go. I've been using Photoshop since its birth updating to the latest all the way through to 5. To be honest I've wasted money because no way can the average user even begin to touch what it can do. You really need to be a full time image manipulator to use it to its fullest.

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 05:47:48 pm »

Hi All,
    Many, many thanks for all your replies. I posted my query at 01.07 and then went out to my Grandson's birthday party. When I came back I had had 10 replies - what a helpful gang you all are.
     However I was chatting to a relative at the party and told him about my post and he has got a copy of Paintshop Pro (dont know what number) that I can have!
     Result.....
Dave.

PS Thanks especially to barriew for the pm, but hopefully I am now sorted.
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 07:05:23 pm »

As  said Gimp is good almost a copy of photoshop   but regardless of what you get.  2 Points Never work on the original and  Less is best.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 07:30:50 pm »

I down loaded Gimp and picked up some malware so in the bin it went. Be careful  :police:
Don't Assume Check

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 08:21:07 pm »

AND that's not all . . . if you're on Windows XP (or earlier) your OK for most imaging apps ,The later Win 7 / Win 8 are a different OS platform and even the old favorites mightn't work properly  <:(
tho' I think the latest ADOBE ELEMENTS will work . . .
Digital cams are a pain some of the time , seem to be at their best in sunny bright weather , on cloudy/dull days  >:-o  the colours crap & needs enhancing . . . the latest SLR's are good they can 'shoot' a selection of shots on auto fire just by holding the button down , so you can chuck away the ones you dont like . . . weren't the old 'Box Brownies' so much more fun ? you'd shoot off the 12 exposures wait a week & marvel at the superb snaps  %% 
 Bill

bj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 08:51:56 pm »

Have you considered FASTSTONE IMAGE VIEWER?

Does the job for me .........and it is free to use.

matphoto

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 08:55:18 pm »

Hi,
Have you had a look at Pentax's own software, not sure if it is free though.

Mat

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2014, 10:49:48 pm »

I down loaded Gimp and picked up some malware so in the bin it went. Be careful  :police:

Did you download it from GIMP's website?
http://www.gimp.org/

If you did, you didn't get any malware, unless something has tampered with your browser, or you have an antivirus which is prone to reporting false positives.

I do a lot of photo editing and GIMP is absolutely the best unless you're willing to pay in full for the likes of Photoshop.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 01:30:25 am »

yes, there are several fake GIMP sites and downloads out there... as well as some site you don't want showing up in your browser history!

GIMP = GNU Image Manipulation Program)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 10:04:51 am »

If your'e just looking to resize. crop and basic colour and contrast tweaking you can't beat Irfanview.  Completely free and very versatile.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 11:07:48 am »

AND that's not all . . . if you're on Windows XP (or earlier) your OK for most imaging apps ,The later Win 7 / Win 8 are a different OS platform and even the old favorites mightn't work properly  <:(

Bill

Ah, now that may make a difference as I am running Windows 8 (aaaaaarghh  %% >>:-( ) so the copy of Paintshop that  has been offered to me may not work and from what you are saying that may apply to a lot of the older software.
    Matphoto has pointed out that Pentax do some software bundled with the camera and I have to admit that I have been so busy playing with the camera that I haven't checked it out. I will do so ASAP.
    At the moment it seems to be that Gimp is the favourite, so may give it a go.
    Thanks again, Folks, for all your advice - much appreciated.

Dave.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 12:34:36 pm »

One other advantage with Gimp is they have endless  tutorials
https://www.google.com/search?q=gimp+tutorials

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 12:57:53 pm »

tho' I think the latest ADOBE ELEMENTS will work . . .

Been using Photoshop 7 (Old version) with XP and now Win 7 for some time now. Ideal for cleaning and resizing plans, much underused to buy though.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 03:01:27 pm »

Ah, now that may make a difference as I am running Windows 8 (aaaaaarghh  %% >>:-( ) so the copy of Paintshop that  has been offered to me may not work and from what you are saying that may apply to a lot of the older software.

Right click and install as administrator.

LarryW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 04:35:35 pm »

Hello Dave ,
                    welcome to photography , if you use the camera right , get to no settings , exposers , f stops, histograms , use raw,
     photo shop wont correct poor pictures , so get right to start with , light room , or elements is the way to go with software, it is not cheap,
     if you are not sure join the local camera club , see how its done, remember if its not sharp bin it , cheers Larry..
never pass a skip
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.