Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: To Photoshop or not to Photoshop? That is the question..  (Read 4580 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: To Photoshop or not to Photoshop? That is the question..
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2014, 06:35:56 pm »

Ooh chance to show two of mine- taken last November in my garden, no photoshopping straight from the camera, if you get it right to begin with then not much editing needs doing....

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2014, 06:51:00 pm »

I dont know about not being able to correct Poor pictures? out of focus  pretty difficult if at all. that really only leaves exposure, colour and compositon all which  in most cases can benefit/ My  biggest  pleasure is restoring old and or damaged photos usually someone elses treasured memory thats when photoshop really comes into its own. Though as I said in an earlier post Less is best
  As the OP was about photo editing  software surely any pics should be relevant to that not just My Pics 

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2014, 08:52:45 pm »

Yes, I have to agree with jaymac. I am sure that pretty much everybody on this site could post some perfect photos they have taken, but that is not the point. What about the otherwise perfect photo with a small flaw like a leaf blowing across, or some graffiti just showing at the edge or all sorts of other minor imperfections. I'm not talking about major surgery but just sorting the irritating faults when required.
    It's a bit smug to say "just get it right first time, every time" 'cos life aint like that. We can't pose all our pics, you take 'em when the opportunity presents itself, warts and all.

Dave
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2014, 09:30:13 pm »

BTW Dave, if you are looking for ideas, I'm still doing my photo project with my work college Monty,
you're welcome to join in in, any one is!

See: 
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45269.msg457883.html#msg457883
https://www.facebook.com/ModelBoatMayhem/media_set?set=a.10200189308895997.1586644924&type=3

Current theme: Fleeting moment.
Post photos here.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2014, 11:04:38 am »

Thanks Martin, some good pics on there. Like some of the others, I wont touch Facebook with a long handled shovel, but its nice to view the photos on MBM.

Dave.
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

Brian Roberts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2014, 03:13:45 pm »

Ooh chance to show two of mine- taken last November in my garden, no photoshopping straight from the camera, if you get it right to begin with then not much editing needs doing....
Hello Brian56
Took the liberty of lightly 'Photoshopping' one of your photos.
Brian

Danny

• Gorleston Model Boat Club
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Gorleston MBC
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2014, 06:13:24 pm »

No one has mentioned the fun that can be had using pretty basic photo editing software.
I once did a lovely picture of our Martin when he was on holiday in Afganistan   %) (cant find it now unfortunately).
I've been messing up with photos since I started waving  my hands under a Gnome enlarger, eventually gaining employment in various areas of the photo industry - but still only use Paintshop Pro 6 !
My advice is get a cheapy program and try it out.  You'll be surprised (and amused) at what you can achieve.

Cheers
Danny

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2014, 07:18:05 pm »

You've done a good job on retouching the praying mantis Brian, really brought out its colour.

explorer750

• Shipmate
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2014, 07:44:01 pm »

Just to add my 2 pence worth. I have been using Photoshop elements 6 for some time now but recently changed computers so have had to change. I find that I can do everything that I could do with Photoshop either on Google picasa which is good for simple editing or if I need a more powerfully tool I now use Pixlr.

http://pixlr.com/

It is completely on-line (which is handy as can be used at work without admin access  ok2 ), I have found it is as good as elements and slightly easier than GIMP. This is the sort of thing it allows.

Deva

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2014, 11:47:37 am »

There are some images which despite being perfectly composed and exposed still require a degree of manipulation to obtain the required image.
Here are three photos which prove my point:
Photo 1 - A ship taken at a focal length of 450mm, hand held. The ship was on my visible horizon.
Photo 2 - The image cropped in camera.
Photo 3 - The image with a small amount of noise reduction and a 50% application of a smart fix (Elements 12)

This ship was so far away on the horizon that even with my excellent lens and correct exposure etc, photo manipulation was required.
The third photo is even better at it's correct non forum file size.
Oh how I miss the British winter - Not!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.