The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Steam

Sabino Build Log

<< < (22/22)

southsteyne2:
Hi ken have you tried to burn with the superstructure removed thinking may be not enough air circulation.
Happy new year to all
John

Landlocked:
John,

Good question but not in this case. 

At some point, if I closed the front and rear bulkhead sliding doors and installed window, maybe, but I light it off with the upper section off and it didn’t steam up.

Landlocked

Mark T:
Hi Ken

Happy new year - I've just picked up on your thread again.  My thoughts are that your gas regulator may be faulty or incorrectly piped in.  The Forest regulator can only be piped one way so maybe if you've had it out it may be facing the wrong way.  This will prevent proper combustion as I had the same issue with mine.  I also discovered that mine had a faulty O ring which allowed gas to escape which was repaired free of charge by the manufacturer.

Also I have had gas jets block up including a brand new one.  The hole is so small it can just be simple corrosion to the atmosphere that causes the problem at least that was my problem.  I contacted Nigel at Pendle boilers about this issue and he advised me to blow air backwards through the jet using compressed air.  I only have a small air brush compressor but this solved my combustion issues immediately.  This occurred after leaving the boiler unfired for 2 weeks as it worked absolutely fine before that. 

My other thoughts are - Is the jet correctly positioned in the holder to allow enough air through?  Also don't push anything through the gas jet as this will ruin it.

Hope this helps in some way - Mark

Landlocked:
Mark,

Good thoughts.  I already had the thrill of piping my Forest regulator in backwards.  I jumped it out but I still suspect that it might have gotten gunked up.  I've tried a couple of different gas jets and unblocked at least one of them by the means you've described.  I think I have some system-wide contaminants that I'm going to have to wash out but I'm reluctant to fire it up inside so that will have to wait till Spring.

Happy New Year!

Ken

Landlocked:
One step forward, two steps back -- no wait  >>:-(

I was naive when I designed my removable upper deck.  I put holes for the posts to fit into in the bottom of the upper deck.  Well, that makes for a lot of fiddling around when setting the upper deck in place... After breaking another post as I finished repairing the last broken post, I decided a redesign with semi radical surgery was in order.

I'm cutting out the bottom, outer edge of my upper deck to allow me to have room to bind the posts together with a layer of wood at the top that will then fit into the now vacated space.  I'm starting the removal phase in the picture below.

Landlocked

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version