Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Sabino Build Log  (Read 31714 times)

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
  • Keeper of the Sun Dried Tomato
Re: Sabino Build Log
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2015, 02:54:11 am »

Looking good. Nice to see everything coming together.

DELAUNAY

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2015, 07:59:30 am »

:-) Hello Ken;

Beautifully presented right these partitions;

For superstructures, why not have do them completely removable; There is sufficient for maintenance, to get out them of a block?

I wish you a happy new year and good health to you and your family, as well as to the Participants to be Forum

Kind regards

François

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Progress Update
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2015, 10:20:12 pm »

All,

Time for a project update. It's always nice when your model starts looking more and more like the original.  Thanks to the deconstruction of the real Sabino to make it fit into its repair shed, I've made faster than expected progress.

My upper deck work proceeded unevenly as I tried to decided how to make the steam plant accessible. After much indecision,  I've decided on a two piece approach.  The fore deck with pilot house will be removable if absolutely required.  The after 3/4 section plus awning will come on and off as one piece to access the components.  Still some decisions to be made with respect to the whistle and funnel.

Had some mismatches between the plans between the main and upper deck and/or my reading of them.  I had to flare the upper foredeck out to align with my side walls.  The side ladders will be a bit narrow.

I made a mistake when I prematurely trimmed the side walls to height.  Need to work some form of overlap between the upper deck edge and the side walls to cover the seam between the fixed and removable parts.

I've broken out the airbrush since I'll be making some "final" assembly in the foredeck area.  It seems I spend more time cleaning the airbrush than actually painting with it.

Stay warm,

Ken/Landlocked

@ last

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2015, 10:10:32 am »

@ Landlocked / Ken

I'm new to the forum and just noticed your build log. Its been a fascinating read. Looking forward to see the finished result.

Keep up the good work  :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2015, 02:03:16 pm »

Hi Ken, This is a super build of a very complex hull/boat, you have made it look very authentic, I had to look twice at the last photos to see if it was the real thing on a sandy beach, or the model on a carpet, nicely done matey.  :-)) :-))
Joe.

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2015, 02:21:22 pm »

Joe,

Thanks for the compliment.  There's some waves in the side walls when you get close but it'll meet the "looks good on the water" standard even if it won't score well on the table but that's not why I'm building it.  The real standard will be heard in the children's voices when they see it and hear the whistle.

This build is way more complex/hard to do than I realized when I started but I've always jumped into the deep end.  :-)

The ladies lounge's sidewalls are glued in now.  After wall may require some mods.  There's a step well at the top of the aft ladder in the plans that's not apparent in my pictures.  I think I'll need to make the ladder before I can really tell.

Lower foredeck's simulated planking is painted and glued in.  Working on the seating benches that will also hold the stanchions/poles for the upper desk in place.  Right now, when I lift the upper foredeck off, they all fall out/over.

Seaways Feb 15 "Ships in Scale" has Sabino as the featured historic ship.

Ken/Landlocked

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2015, 01:17:51 am »

Looks really good Ken looking forward to seeing it on the water :-))
Cheers
John

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
End of Build Season
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2015, 04:10:53 am »

Well, we put the trials basin (wife's garden pond) into commission today which is a good sign that Spring has sprung and the build season is over.  I'm going to put some time into the mechanicals (will be switching to my Steam R&D thread) and maybe able to do some more mechanical shakedown cruises.

Not a lot of real visible progress since my last update.  Did some detail work in the bow area.  Some partitions in place in the stern and some trim on the upper deck edging.

Not real happy with my posts.  Way out of plumb in several spots.  Not use sure if it was from drilling the bases, carving the posts, or gluing.  Fortunately, it turns out there's plenty strength without them so maybe able to hide the errors.

Everyone get out and enjoy your boats!

Ken/Landlocked

Bernhard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2015, 06:44:53 am »

:-))

DELAUNAY

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2015, 07:42:33 am »

Hello ;
 %)  :-))

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Rebuilt front wall
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2015, 03:06:35 am »

All,

Those of you following my engineering built log over in Steam R&D section are aware that I decided to rework my gas piping to improve access to my jet.  This rework meant moving the forward wall/bulkhead forward.

I've completed most of my deck house rework.  I think I blended the extensions in fairly well. With the decking on and the front ladders installed, only the "rivet counters " (to steal a term from the model railroad community) should notice the changes when comparing to the pictures from my earlier entry.

Next piece is the rear ladder to the upper deck and then I'll start on the pilot house and fix my mal-aligned support posts.

Ken/Landlocked

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Ladder and Pilot House
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2015, 03:05:09 am »

Slow but steady progress.  I'm using yellow glue and not CA so I have a lot of down time waiting on the glue to set up.

Rear ladder is done.  Took some finessing since the plans didn't match my pictures of the original -- obviously there had been some rework.  Plans showed a much larger footwell at the top.  You can see my incremental shrinking of it if you look real close.  Box under the ladder lifts off for access to the rudder linkage so the ladder also lifts off.  The entire the upper deck lifts off for access to the steam plant so there are same seam gaps.

Started working on the pilot house.  My plan is to use light plywood at all the key heights to define the shape and sand balsa blocks to shape.  All the glass will be fixed in place and not lowering since I decided that was too much pain.  Still debating on the cabin windows as to which will operate (only a couple) and what positions the others will be fixed in.

Ken/Landlocked

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Pilot House Update
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2015, 01:17:27 am »

Happy Turkey Day/Thanksgiving,

After a splendid Autumn/Fall (I'm trying to be bi-lingual/speak the language of both sides of the pond :-) [size=78%]),[/size]
the weather has turned Scottish (cold and rainy with some freezing rain - did I get that right?).

Here's the status as of today.  As usual, the camera doesn't lie.  When looking at the pics, I noticed my window frame/door frame weren't parallel.  Sure enough, 1/16 of an inch off.  How I missed it while I puttied and sanded, I don't know.  A wedge of balsa is now glued in place, waiting to be trimmed back. 

Next steps are to skin the frame with sheet styrene and do more planking.  Hopefully Santa will bring me the micro router stuff I need to make the moldings.  Once again, plans don't match the photos.  You can see the deltas between the plan in the earlier post and the picture of the pilot house upper section.  I'm leaving the roof detachable for now in case I return to finish out the interior.

I have soldered my revised gas piping but pictures and posting to my other thread will have to wait for the next time I disassemble the superstructure.

Ken/Landlocked

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2015, 03:35:11 am »

I would leave one or two windowa slightly open to give a bit of realizm (just my thoughts
Cheers
John

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2015, 03:39:22 am »

Also the pilot house windows and doors will have to cant forward due to the steep angle of the deck.
John

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Pilot House Update
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2015, 08:24:49 pm »

Hi Ken,
You nearly had the weather correct, just missed out with snow.
Temps in the Glasgow area are 3c with freezing rain but 100mls  up north in the Grampian mountains it's snow and -10c and it's to be worse tomorrow.
In correspondance with a friend in Queensland Australia they are in temps of 40c, it's just not fare !!!!!!!!

Have a good day
Regards
George.

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2015, 11:16:27 pm »

George,

I posted too early.  Snow came today. O0

Ken

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2015, 02:55:48 am »

John/Southsteyne,

I've been debating about the windows.  If I have them up, the lack of interior finishing won't be as obvious.  They were all down on the day that I visited the boat.  I may try it both ways.

Your comments about the window/door cant gave me a moment of pause but the original did not maintain true vertical but leaned back with the sheer of the deck.  Whew!!

Having some reactions between the sheet styrene and the glue I'm using to attach to the wood frame.  It's wrinkling the skin a bit.  Going to keep an eye on it.  The previous glue I used for styrene to wood isn't made anymore. 

Ken/Landlocked

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Sabino Build Log - Status Update
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2015, 03:33:17 am »

Time for a status update as I get ready to head back to work. <:(

Pilot house is "planked" out and ready for windows and doors.  Santa brought me my Dremel router stand so I built a reasonable facsimile of the blocking for the pilot house roof area (see picture from a few posts earlier).

Cutting it into blocks and gluing will be tedious.  I'll intersperse my door building and first attempts at building windows with doing the blocks.  Any one have a trick for semi-functional door hinges?  I'm thinking my lightest weight styrene.

Ken/Landlocked

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
  • Keeper of the Sun Dried Tomato
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2015, 02:58:34 pm »

Excellent work! Coming along very nicely...

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Deck House Molding
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2016, 11:46:12 pm »

Molding is on and painted.  Doors made -- haven't figured out the hinges.  Everything painted.  Windows next step.

Time for an end of the weekend update.

My stop block for cutting the molding blocks wasn't clamped firmly in place so the block length kept creeping longer (which I didn't check mid-cutting). >>:-(

I was NOT interested in re-routing the trim (felt I was lucky it went as well as it did the first time) so I pressed on.

After carefully arranging them in order, I decided to go with a smallest forward on the centerline with the length growing as I came around to the sides.

Given all my other mistakes so far, I'm ok with the way this one worked out.

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Windows
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2016, 03:25:13 am »

Well, there's no progress pictures to post -- mostly because there's no visible progress.

I'm on my third glue trying to build my windows.  All of them are quite good at showing fingerprints and smears.  The last one actually seems like it'll hold the styrene and plastic together. <*<

I've also discovered that building windows is also a great way of discovering how out of square your window frames really are. >>:-(

Fortunately or unfortunately, the temps is -25C and winds are strong so I just have to face the music.

Back to sloooooooow progress.

Ken/Landlocked

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2016, 04:37:51 pm »

Hi Ken,

Your model is coming along very nicely and the mouldings on the wheel house roof look great.
Regarding door hinges, have a look at some of the fittings for model aircraft aeleron hinges, some years ago I purchased some for trim tabs on a fast patrol boat and they are still there after about 20 years.

For your window glue again the aircraft guys use Canopy glue which drys without any marks, I used some on the Canopy of a D. Cambell Bluebird K7 and after 3 years hurteling around my club lake and Loch Lomond which is 30 min run from my home it's still in good nick.

You have certainly beat us with your temps of -25 C around Glasgow it was a mear -2 C and at present 5C, time to get the Long Johns Thermals on.

Here is a pic of the K7 Canopy and the glue used.

George.

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2016, 09:16:24 pm »

George,

Thanks for the aileron hinge idea.  Will pursue.

I had to laugh, for once we're using the same product on both sides of the pond w/o paying for $$ shipping.  Formula 560 is the glue I ended up with too.

I loved the Super RC Z 56 glue that J & Z made but they've discontinued it without reason.  It was my choice for all non-styrene to styrene bonds.

Testors clear didn't hold at all.  I forget what my middle step was. 

My current challenge is the curved front.  My first practice windows were the small ones on the back side of the deckhouse.  I build them and then slide them into place. With the curved front, the spacing on the inside of the framing posts is narrower that the front/outside and I've already glued in my side stops so I have to flex the window into place.  I think the three center windows will be fixed fully up and I'll build the back two windows in a partially raised position. 

10cm of snow today. 

Ken/Landlocked

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Visor
« Reply #74 on: February 29, 2016, 01:13:08 am »

Hi,

All,

Finally felt that I had made enough progress to provide a Sunday progress posting.  75 degrees F yesterday 20ish? C so I'm not sure how much longer the build season will last.

Building the visor was a pain.  Plans vs photos didn't match up but I think I'm close.  A big thumbs up for anyone who can figure out my visor based flanges. :-))

Made two windows fully up and and two partially down.  Visor is blocking the top edge.  May need to trim them shorter.

Ken/Landlocked

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.