Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for 1/18 British or Canadian figures  (Read 2472 times)

george

• Full Mayhemer
Looking for 1/18 British or Canadian figures
« on: January 28, 2014, 04:54:08 am »

Hello

I have posted this here because I did not know where else to post this.

I am planning on building a landing craft LCA of WWII era. It was used mainly by British and Canadian Soldiers and has even been seen in a few WWII documentaries. I saw one showing Canadian troops as they landed on Juno Beach during the D Day landings in WWII while under fire.

I would like to build that landing craft IF I can find 1/18 British or Canadian Plastic Soldier figures. I picked this scale because it is easily made into an R.C craft that I can carry.

I need a few of the soldiers to fill out the craft. If anyone knows of a dealer/store please let me know. I have done a Google search and ebay with NO LUCK, just my eyes are tired. Something like the figures under the Ultimate Soldier 1/18 line BUT I can`t find British/Canadian of WWII in 1/18.

Any help would be Greatly Appreciated.

Thanks for looking here.

George

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Looking for Information Help Please
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 07:44:02 am »

There's these guys that are actually made for garden railways at 1:19, so very close in scale. Only thing is they are WW1, maybe you could adapt them a little?

http://www.robbennett.org/blighty.html

Steven

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Looking for 1/18 British or Canadian figures
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 12:48:18 pm »

It looks like your'e going to struggle finding 1/18th scale figures that are not Napoleonic soldiers and cast in white metal.  But the Ultimate Soldiers range does offer the possibility of conversion.  If you dismantled one of their US Army figures and modified the torso, arms and legs to match British battledress then took moulds from those parts. You could cast any number of basic figures.  The heads might be slightly more difficult as Canadian wore both the classic "Brodie" helmet and the newer Mk3 "Turtle" helmet.  Webbing and belts were the British 1937 pattern. 
Firearms for Canadian troops could be either British or American, Some unit being equipped with the M1 Garand instead of the Lee Enfield.
It's a bit of a performance but repeat casting means you only have to modify one figure.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Cyberdan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 07:37:11 pm »

George,

Did you try Nick at Carefree hobbies?, He's got figures galore over there in Oakville.

Hope this helps
Hany

george

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 10:10:23 pm »

George,

Did you try Nick at Carefree hobbies?, He's got figures galore over there in Oakville.

Hope this helps
Hany

Hello Hany

Thank You for the link. I just sent them an email about this.

George

george

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 11:04:42 pm »

Hi Hany

Well I don`t seem to be having very good luck with Carefree Hobbies either. No British or Canadian 1/18 Infantry soldiers.

Is it possible to convert a U.S soldier to a Canadian one, with some work on the uniform, personal equipment and weapons and painting? Which U.S figure would be the BEST to pick for this task?
 Or I am going to go crazy trying to do that?

George

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 12:01:58 am »

george

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 05:20:34 am »

I would suggest changing the scale of your craft to 1/16 there are a lot more figures available in 1/16 or as commonly called 120mm scale. . . .

e.g.

http://www.historexagents.com/shop/hxsearchresults.php?SupplierCode=VP&GrpKey=120&DscKey=&SearchData=&ComingSoon=&PageNo=1

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=120mm+figures&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=jTjsUoHdLouu7Abm8oHADQ&sqi=2&ved=0CCoQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=622

Hope this helps

longshankst

Hello longshanks

Thanks for the links BUT I originally thought about doing the build in 1/16 BUT the cost of the figures, at least 6 to 8 is VERY COSTLY and the model would be fairly large, hard for me to physically carry around. So that`s why I figured 1/18 would be a little smaller and the figures are cheaper, if I can find them.

Thanks for the tip.

George

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer

george

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 09:12:52 pm »

These any good ?

http://smalljoes.com/cgi-bin/pgen.cgi?Stage=5&CatId=66&Start=24

Hello again longshanks

Yes it looks like I will be able to have a crew on my LCA. I will be converting a U.S soldier to the Canadian Infantry with some body work and painting. Question, what material is good to use to make helmuts, small gear, like a putty that you can shape with tools and then it dries hard over time so you can work with it slowly?

Thanks Again for your help.

George

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 08:50:50 am »

I would recommend either Milliput

http://www.milliput.com/

or Sylmasta Kneadatite Green Stuff

http://www.sylmasta.com/acatalog/Kneadatite_Putties.html

Have fun

Cheers longshanks

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 12:15:31 pm »

There are a lot of good books about figure modelling and converting figures.  This Ospray book is available to download from "Hobby magazines"
http://www.hobbymagazines.org/books/1752-modelling-and-painting-figures.html
The author seems to work, primarily, in Milliputt.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.