Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Aero-Naut Diva, my first wood boat build  (Read 16432 times)

fastvee

• budget builder
  • Full Mayhemer
Aero-Naut Diva, my first wood boat build
« on: January 30, 2014, 10:54:07 am »

Hi, as promised on the glue/varnish threads I will post here the process of my first wooden boat build.

I started with the depron jig , glued it on shelf from my cabinet with few spots of contact cement to make sure the jig stays straight.(glad I only used tiny drops, the depron does not look like it likes that stuff)

Next was removing the bits from die cut sheets of ply ,sanding them a bit and plugging them on the jig.
(one frame bit was cracked a bit by me trying to get it out without checking was the piece die cut all the way...-was not- , drop of ca to the rescue)

That is all I have so far, still waiting the glue to arrive. -or should I go ahead with ca  :embarrassed: -I guess it is best to wait a bit.

The propeller arrived as 2-bladed but with one extra blade rattling in the box :((   -not an issue since I want to use 4mm shaft so the prop choices are better.

Will soon order stuff from cornwall anyway.

So far everything looks really nice, the price was so cheap(78€ delivered) that I was excepting something like toy grade stuff but everything loos just as nice like my previous project build graupner bremen was.

Side note: looks like the kit has changed a bit, all the pics I´ve seen have brass railing and large decal sheet, this only has few Diva decals and steel rod(looks like stainless) to do the railings and stuff.

-Pate

fastvee

• budget builder
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Aero-Naut Diva, my first wood boat build
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 03:45:18 pm »

Small update, the fittings included are good to have, since they are included in the price but quality is not the best(again, great for the price), my fittings bag included 3 cleats of 1 style and 1 of completely different style...

Placed order at cornwall, 20mm and 25mm 3-bladed brass props(all ready have 30mm one).

Stock one is 30mm easy to break red plastic tiny blades of unknown pitch.

-I dont get why the rotation is labelled differently from manufacturer to manufacturer. All my props are left handed but these right handed ones are same handed as my left handed racing ones(octura,propshop...) -but it wont matter much since most motors have 0 timing so both will work.

6.5" 4mm prop shaft(they stated that is the tube lenght, 1.5" more for the threaded bits). That makes it 8" long (20.32cm) . The stock one is 2mm not threaded 20cm long with 18cm long tube so this should fit with small mods if needed.

I do have some motors of different size but ordered  "JP Power 400 Motor" to try. No idea of the mounting screws but ordered 2.5mm ones to be sure it fits(have 2 and 3mm ones all ready)

Here is the whole shopping list if interested.
C8000                  Universal Joint                        

C8005                 Plain Coupling Insert 2.3mm           

C8011                 Threaded Coupling Insert M4           

RAB146-05             20mm M4 Threaded 3 Blade R/H           
                       Brass A-Type Propeller                                             

A4937/15              4937/15 Torpedo Cleat Nickle     4     
                       Plated 15mm                                                       

AM08                  Cleat 15mm (4)                     

SQ9060                Squadron White Putty 2.03oz           
                       Tube                                                               

RAB156-49             25mm M4 Threaded 3 Blade R/H         
                       Brass D-Type Propeller                                             

K51010                M2.5 x 6mm Cheese Head Screw         
                       (10)                                                               

2476                  Pins Plastic Headed for               
                       Modelling                                                         

C4316                 Fine Line 6.5in Propshaft M4           
                       Thread - Stainless Steel                                           

P5510370              JP Power 400 Motor     

-Pate   

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 05:53:46 pm »

Nice model to start with  :-))

I installed a brushless in my wifes Classic (same size as Diva) http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,43381.0.html
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

fastvee

• budget builder
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 07:00:41 pm »

Nice boat you have there, actually I would have bought the classic instead but it was not in stock at the time. -But I am sure the diva will look neat also when all ready.

I use brushless stuff on my go fast boats but the throttle feel is so good on old brushed technology, even compared to sensored brushless that I just have to keep using it on scale stuff.

Just waiting the titebond 3 glue  so I can really start...  <*<   that ca bottle on my table is looking so tempting right now.  %%

-Pate

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 08:19:20 pm »

If you are still waiting for the Titebond, I would suggest you crack on with the CA.  A decent CA bond in wood is stronger than the wood itself and after that any improvement is entirely academic.  I have used CA exclusively in my build here and everything is a solid as a rock.  My hull will be double planked, and I plan to epoxy it inside and out (possibly with lightweight glass cloth outside) but even without all that I think a decent joint held with CA is as good as anything else.  I wouldn't build a full size boat with it, but for models it seems to me the ideal glue.  And things do move along very quickly as the joints are done in seconds  :-))

(Having said that, Titebond 3 is a really good glue and I have used it a lot in furniture and other full scale work - for bonding large areas or complex structures that take a while to assemble you can't beat it  O0 )

Greg

fastvee

• budget builder
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 09:24:57 pm »

Hi, the hull will be coated with epoxy after it is build so I guess it wont matter what I use to glue it together since epoxy will hold the pieces permanently.

However 2 steps from now involves gluing multiple pieces at the same time and the parts may need to be moved around a bit so better to have slow glue for that.

If the titebond wont arrive monday I will start with the ca and hope for the best...

Oh, and I have been testing the humbrol paints and will most likely invest in acrylic spray for the hull paint. -painted the rudder to test paint  and the damn humbrol wont dry even,  tiny spots(looks like dust but its not that) all over the surface...

-Pate

fastvee

• budget builder
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 10:25:27 pm »

LOL,you just had to suggest ca... -naturally I had to try, wanted to test it on one piece...

-ended up to here.

Looks like CA works, and a dab of kicker to boot.

Tomorrow I will sand the frame a bit so the sides fit and will see if I wait for the titebond or not...

-Pate

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 08:18:59 am »

Good start.  Goes quickly doesn't it?   O0

I agree - when several pieces go together at the same time you need a glue that gives you time to get it right.  Wait for the Titebond for those bits.

Greg

fastvee

• budget builder
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 04:05:56 pm »

Hoping I have enough of clamps...  -the hull side panels are a bit crooked, needs almost all of my clamps to make it straight, and I think one side is longer... could be that the whole boat is a bit off but will see when ready...  have used that jig so it should be straight but I guess everything is possible.

-pate

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 04:17:42 pm »

:-)) I have built the Queen and I am in the process of building the princess, good kits which fit together nicely and make fine looking models,needs plenty of vanish which brings the look of the wood out,like to post photo's but have not worked that one out,happy modelling,Ray. :-)) :-))   
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

fastvee

• budget builder
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 05:15:53 pm »

Ray,  am thinking of ordering the queen or princess next.

Any thoughts of what to use as a filler? -epoxy with sanding dust to match color?

I did the best  I could but there is slight gap at the front.

Also the bottom and sides are just tacked in place, should I do 100% ca seam or just cover all with epoxy?

Greg, this goes together quite a bit faster then what I thought.  {-)

-Pate

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 06:16:03 pm »

:-)) Hi,fastvee, regard filler I used normal wood filler coloured with some mahogany stain,the bow on the inside was strengthened with some resin so that it could take a lot knocks,fitted with a brushless motor and esc same running gear as my sea commander both go like stink,best of luck with your build,Ray :-)) :-)) 

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 06:56:31 pm »

Use epoxy, now that it is cyano tacked, then you will have a strong permanant bond
cheers

If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

Stavros

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 07:09:04 pm »

Personally I would do a full ca joint THEN epoxy inside the hull BEFORE putting the deck on her

Dave

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 07:50:42 pm »

I bow to Dave's advice, I've done both.
cheers
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 09:27:19 pm »

:-)) I am trying to post images just testing folks!,ray :-))

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 09:44:39 pm »

fastvee

• budget builder
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 12:26:00 pm »

ca and epoxy on  :-))

fastvee

• budget builder
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 08:31:46 pm »

The titebond arrived today and tested it on the deck. Looks like this suits the trailer of my truck well!

-Pate

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 08:43:33 pm »

:-)) Hi,fastvee,you won't have to worry about transporting the boat to the lake then,happy sailing,Ray. :-))

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 09:11:52 pm »

Wow - once you get going you really do crack on!  Looking good, keep the photos coming   :-)) :-))

Greg

fastvee

• budget builder
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 05:26:11 pm »

Found out that the side panels are just veneer,thin mahogany layer on top. So naturally I sanded through in the corners...

-but a dab of paint and a coat of stain (that actually seams to stick on the paint) on and it looks better. May add one more coat before I start the varnishing.

(the hull is only stained in the pic not the superstructure)

-Pate

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 05:58:21 pm »

I should have mention that the veneer is rather thin,I used a rather fine sand paper and had to use a bit of mahogany stain at the bow which blended in quite well and cannot be seen,the skin fits well and with a bit of care leaves no gaps to be filled,the instructions are in german but are easy to follow,after I finished the Queen I found out that the english instructions are on the Aero-Naut veb site,happy modelling,Ray.   

fastvee

• budget builder
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2014, 10:50:41 am »

Ray, I did print the English manual even before I had the boat, but ditched it soon after the build started.. -it did not match the German instruction manual at all.

The kit has changed a bit and thinking the English manual is for the older model with different parts.

Was much better to just look at the piccies.  ok2

-2 more coats of stain applied, now the color is close to my liking, and the varnish should darken it a bit more.

Thinking should I leave the top part a bit lighter then hull, could look nice also? -no stain on the top yet.

-Pate

fastvee

• budget builder
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2014, 12:53:54 pm »

Started with the varnish.

The hull is stained 4 times and the top has 2 coats. So there is that slight difference in color that I wanted.

just brushed 2nd coat of varnish on.

Maybe it will look nicer after 10+ coats but even after 2 coats it looks so shiny!

-Pate
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.