Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laser Cutters  (Read 17041 times)

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
Re: Laser Cutters
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2013, 09:45:03 pm »

You missed my point - I inferred I wouldn't buy from china, there's no comeback at all. 

That's why we bought from a UK company - they know how to set them up, and can show the purchaser how to do it too, and they give a warranty. :-))

As to cutting styrene, horrible stuff to cut and get a good edge to it - that's why we use acrylic.

The other material not to cut is polycarbonate, same reasons as PVC etc.  We did cut some thin pc, (0.375mm), and it took nearly 6 months for the stink to go away :embarrassed:  now we outsource the laser cutting of pc ok2

As to the vertical cut tapering that we all have a problem with on thicker materials - unless you have a minimum of 3 focusing lenses at the head the beam will always be hourglass shaped.

Strange you should say that, all the parts we had cut for us had lovely edges - certainly nothing a gentle swipe with a fine piece of sand paper wouldnt put right.....and you would need to do that anyway with the old fashioned method of cutting the part with a knife.  I agree, the thicker the styrene the less neat the edge...but seeing as the max thickness in our kits is 2mm, they didnt come out so bad.

Would LOVE to have used acrylic.....but cost wise, just not on!!! 6 x the price of styrene.  I dont think the average boat kit buying modeller would agree to a hike in kit price just because we used acrylic.....

Does cut lovely mind!!!!

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2013, 11:11:18 pm »

I find that when cutting styrene It's a very fine balancing act between power, speed and frequency to get a nice cut, If I'm cutting 1.5mm or less I ususally do 2 or 3 low power high speed passes so as not to build up to much heat.

Phill

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2013, 11:15:46 pm »

For anyone trying to convince their wives they need a laser one of the first jobs I did was to cut 400 squares of material for one of my wifes projects.
No distortion of the material from using a roller cutter and all done in about 1/2 and hour!
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2013, 05:24:52 pm »

I think CNC routers offer better value and versatility for the vast majority of modelmakers, as you can cut pretty much any material, and are easier to set-up and service a home.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2013, 10:05:57 pm »

Could we have some comparison info/pics or alternatively a thread on the subject.  O0 O0 :-)) :-))

The toxicity of some materials when using a 'laser' is of concern. O0 O0
Gunna build those other boats one day.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2013, 11:03:52 pm »

mmmmm circa..... 2007 a  Paddleducks member did some pretty impressive work on a home built CNC laminate trimmer table .....Derek

http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=2673.msg25756#msg25756
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2013, 01:45:00 am »

For me personally I have more have allergy issues with the dust created by cnc routers, I recently set up a CNC Shark pro and the noise was unbearable (laminate trimmer type) also I have alot of shapes to cut that have square internal corners.
Also there is no need for clamping the material down with the laser which is great for small pieces of work.
As to the toxicity, I get no smell inside the actual workshop and I stick to cutting well known materials such as timber, MDF, plywood, acrylic and styrene.
Isaac Asimov

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2013, 09:55:17 am »

Kerf is the main sang with routing as opposed to laser cutting or waterjet. A bit of work with a set of needle files is sufficient to deal with most issues.

Noise is dependant on cutting speed.

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2013, 11:49:23 am »

Ever turned a laminate trimmer on and left it running in your workshop for 8 or so hours ?
Isaac Asimov

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2013, 05:06:14 pm »

Aha, I see that Neils influence extends far and wide O0 {-) {-) {-)

you nearly got away with that comment Raaarty..........don't normally come to threads like this as they baffle me..............but I'm still waiting for offers from members to tidy up for me %% %% %% %% %% %%

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2013, 09:38:06 pm »

you nearly got away with that comment Raaarty..........don't normally come to threads like this as they baffle me..............but I'm still waiting for offers from members to tidy up for me %% %% %% %% %% %%

See, I knew it, they see him here, they see him there, they see him everywhere.

Well done.  {-) {-) {-) {-)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2013, 08:04:04 am »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was wondering if you guys can cut carbon fibre sheet on you machines?
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2013, 08:45:10 am »

Waterjet would do it, but I don't think you'll succesfuly laser carbon fibre composite.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.