Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keil kraft sea scout restoration  (Read 10161 times)

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Keil kraft sea scout restoration
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2014, 12:56:22 am »

Hi again guys thank u for all your kind feed back and advice.

So dad cleaned the engine at work I shan't say what company as I don't want to drop him in it at work lol, but he's a engineer so he was like a pig in muck when I said he could do it he's told me the steps that he did he gave it a chemical dip and clean, a friend of his races ic cars and took a look he said it's quite a worn engine piston shows signs of scoring also has low compression now it's rebuilt I will try and get pictures of it when he brings it home :) it did have ball races in this engine, I believe I was told the os fp has the brass ones,

I managed to get a bit more done on the boat today before going to work this afternoon, I was advised by a friend instead of sanding the hull it should use some paint stripper on it. Never trying this before my self I thought I'd give it a go but decided I'd do it on the underneath side of the cabin roof as I thought if it all went 'Pete Tong' and it ruined the wood it would be easier to make a new lid lol :) so I done a tester and to be honest within 30 mins it had bubbled up and was blistering of I gave it a scraper over with a paint scrapper. 

Then I rubbed it down gently with wire wool and some clean cold water and wiped over with a dry cloth and it was great I then just gave it a light rub with some p800 and to be honest it looks really good and so much easier than sanding it back :) .  There are four little areas in corners of green which I think is some sort of resin or glue but I will work that later I decided I was going to do one part of the hull with stripper to see how well it took on all the layers of paint, to be honest I new it wasn't going to be easy as there's so many. I left I soaking in for 2 hours just so I knew myself it was probably done enough I followed same method as before scrapped, wire wooled, dried rubbed with p800 and I have to admit it is such a beautiful little hull under all that paint the wood is lovely and it's been built pretty well considering the age of the boat. You'd think the wood would be bad but I no some more recent model boats wood ones in worse condition I'm not saying it's perfect there's still areas that need work but it's brilliant very happy I paid £30 for this boat and £20 delivery not a lot really :)

Hope u guys enjoy sorry if I chat on a bit lol :) here's some pics of today's work ....

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2014, 09:33:44 am »

Paint's done it job then, preserving the wood.
Not as I always think, make it look pretty!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2014, 01:21:48 pm »

Again, chances are when originally built, it was painted with "Valspar" or "Dulux". O0 :-))

You may need to use a surface preparation that sucks the oil out of the wood in the engine compartment Darren, IC engines are/were sloppy little b*****s despite exhaust fittings.

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2014, 02:19:42 pm »

My hats what paint I was assuming it was as it's on there very thick,
Yeah me and dad were only on about that last night :) I always thought that too Martin

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2014, 06:15:20 pm »

Hi guys
More work done stripping paint of of with the paint stripper on the hull there's still some paint to remove round the bow and keel but I will remove this by sanding it down overall the hull is pretty good under paint it will need some work done in places,
Ul see I removed the prop shaft I noticed it to begin with that it had been fitted squint but thought it would be ok but decided to remove it and fit a new on correctly :)
I have now removed all paint of the lid and resin :)

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2014, 06:34:01 pm »

Hi Darren

I must say I think you are doing a splendid job here. Thank you for uploading further photos as it shows the developments in a very interesting manner.

Keep up the excellent work!

Craig :-))
Forget all insults, always remember compliments.

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2014, 01:36:45 pm »

Thank u Craig I'm back round at my fathers tomorrow so I'm planing on having all paint removed from lower of the hull so then I can turn my attention to cabin and cleaning the inside

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2014, 02:26:26 pm »

Hi guys more work done today with help of my apprentice lol ( my nans dog jack )
All paint is now removed from the hull accept a little bit around where the rudder is and round the shaft supports that have now been removed the hull is overall in good condition and I'm quite happy there will be a few areas that will need attention with filler but it's looking good had a little bit of a play sanding the top deck just to see how well the varnish would come off and removed bit on cabin as well overall it's going well :)
Dad also brought the engine back from work I have tracked down a new piston for it from my local hobby store as he has spares from years ago and because the piston that's in mine is worn I'm not going to use the engine but I'd rather keep it and no it will run fine if I decide to use it in something else

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2014, 02:27:30 pm »

And some more

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2014, 07:08:21 pm »

Dad also brought the engine back from work I have tracked down a new piston for it from my local hobby store as he has spares from years ago and because the piston that's in mine is worn I'm not going to use the engine but I'd rather keep it and no it will run fine if I decide to use it in something else

As much as I am enjoying seeing the restoration of the boat, I have to say that the photos of your OS engine depict a remarkable transformation from what it looked like originally! I do hope that some day you have that engine back in use. Exciting stuff indeed!

Craig :-))
Forget all insults, always remember compliments.

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2014, 01:33:05 am »

Hi Craig sorry haven't replied been busy with work and when it's not work it's the wife, I can never win lol, the engine will be used we are always looking in to it for out next project :)

Any way I got a bit more work done today basically I decided where I ripped the bars out the roof to fill these I'm thinking of going for a Italian cabin cruiser style unsure yet, as I said I filled the holes and rubbed back gently then went over with some p800 just to smooth it off, there are quite a few imperfections that need to be worked I'm going to spray a coat of primmer on at some point so I can see more where they are my father says it's fine and it's wood ul never work perfect and paint will hide a lot but personally I'd rather it was spot on.

I filled the hole where the exhaust come out with some old scrap wood I had must admit done it poorly but where it was going to be covered with a few thin skims of filler which I done as u will see in pictures I also started work on a new bulkhead part where the servo gets hidden due to orignal one brakin of decided to have the part where the servo sat in I also had my nans little helper again jack the dog lol I hope u enjoy the pictures I'm going to hopefully be going to dad 2mora so I will try up load more pic   

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2014, 01:05:33 am »

Hi guys not much more done on the boat to be honest as I'm tired due to work, joys of working for a big named supermarket supposed to finish at a certain time and u end up having to stay on just put in a 68 hour week tired is not the word lol, but I been bidding on a brand new water cooling brushless motor 2075 kv motor that I will run on lipos bit of a bargain to be honest as it's brand new :) 

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2014, 11:16:56 am »

Hi Darren,

I would stay away from the amphungry FSD motors if I were you.
It's a two pole motor with a poor low end response, meaning you can't run it dead slow, as it 'll burst into life at one third throttle.

Also, 2075KV will give you 15000 rpm on 2S Lipo's, which is rather a lot on a subsurface prop, rule of thumb is not to exceed 10.000 rpm, to avoid having a blender under the hull (and little forward motion).

Not knowing the size and weight of your boat I can't make a suggestion which motor to get, but a four pole inrunner, or, even better, a multi pole outrunner will work nicely.

Check out the video of my 110 cm MAS hull, powered by an 800KV outrunner on 4S, turning a 60 mm two blade prop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-igDcvLySEM
(Turn up the volume really high to hear the running noise.)

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2014, 03:44:53 pm »

...joys of working for a big named supermarket supposed to finish at a certain time and u end up having to stay on just put in a 68 hour week

Story of my life. I work in the petrol station and as an online delivery driver for The Supermarket With Orange Bags, and I've just done 55 hours over the 156 I'm contracted to do per four-weeks. Christmas saw me do a seventeen-and-a-quarter hour shift: a personal record. Fifteen-hour shifts are not uncommon. As I'm in training to be a Team Leader, my half-hour breaks tend to be five minutes. This week I'm on holiday - and have four days at work.  %% The week after? Seven days at work.

It's insane.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2014, 07:57:06 pm »

Hi guys and sorry I didn't reply been a night mare at the moment with work :-/
I did manage to get a little bit today and yesterday but I have ended up picking up more projects lol ( just brought a brand new billings slo mo shun and a second hand pilot boat lol), I decided after thinking and reading pompebled stated about the motor to go for a different one either way it will be water cooled :)
So on with what I have managed to get done well I rubbed all the lid back and used some p1200 just to prep it for primer I then used some primer and as expected it showed the areas which need work which isn't a problem I expected the boat to need work, as we had a lovely day of weather yesterday I managed to get out in the garden and do some more sanding most of the boat is sanded now I just have to do a little bit more to the deck and then the inside :) I removed the rear bulk head I fitted I'm going to a different way with it I think :)

I was having a look at the hole on the side where there was a bit of brass I pushed it gently and it came straight out so I used a circle bit of wood to fill it, it just needs a bit of filler to finish it of but she's getting there, my rudder arrived for her I ordered slightly to big rudder but my way off thinking with this is if I order bigger it can always be grinded back to a smaller size :)

Fitted the inlet and out let for the water cooling as well just waiting for the prop shaft to arrive, hope u like the pictures and again I'm sorry for the delay of updates

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2014, 09:05:17 pm »

Ok guys just a little update I haven't really done a lot to the cabin cruiser as I got side tracked with my new project lol
It's a hovercraft, I have been signed off work for a week but after being back to docs today been signed off for a further two weeks so I'm planning on getting the cabin cruiser progressed more here's some pictures of the hover craft any way colours are a bit funky and bright didn't quite no how bright they were going to be until they were on lol ( only the cabin has been started on the hover craft )

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2014, 09:58:51 pm »

Started doing some more on the boat this week boat is now under coated in one coat of grey just so I can see where I need to fill and then I will spray her with white undercoat, I brought a new prop shaft for her as the other one that was in it when I brought the boat was fitted badly but it's actualy the keel that's out on the boat so I done the best I can with fitting it it should be ok I no it looks a little rough at the moment but I will sort it all out, rudder needs trimming down and I have fitted the new motor to its plate it should be a good little boat when it's done :)

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2014, 10:24:55 pm »

Hi Darren,

The hull starts to look the part.
Which motor did you select?
Keep in mind, 10.000 rpm under load will be already very fast...

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2014, 10:35:36 pm »

Hi I brought two of these motors one is a 3600kv motor and the other is a 1500kv I decided to go for the 1500kv with a 7.4 two cell lipo

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2014, 09:36:53 am »

Nice, that would put you right in the sweet spot (10.000 rpm).

Assuming it's a Ø28 mm motor, you should have room under the hull for a sufficient large prop to make her fly (depending on the pitch).

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2014, 09:54:01 am »

Hi yeah I have an older prop my father has gave me I was going to try to begin with it's a 35mm 2 blade x prop :) still have a lot to do on her and my other boats at the moment seem to be running out of time tho lol
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.