Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: LOS ANGELES build logs  (Read 39102 times)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: LOS ANGELES build logs
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2014, 09:23:52 am »

Hullo Marius.......

1. the image below indicates a 45 degree chamfer for the o-ring cavity........you can simply drill these into the hull tube plates...just make sure the 45 degree surface is smooth
    this is what I have previously suggested

2.  forget any form of silicone  >>:-(........it is rubbish in your build........ O0

3. let the O-rings seal.........that is what they are designed to do....... :-))..........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

profesorul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2014, 10:39:58 am »

OK , now I get it .
I see what You mean .   :-))
That's way thay say "picture makes a 1000 words" .  O0
THANK You .

MARIUS

profesorul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2014, 06:59:51 pm »

Little Work to day :  O0  . I was working ALMOST 4Hours but at the end I BROKE 2 pieces   >>:-( , and the big one waFIRSTTS as Test . But I have learned from these experience and I wheel make them again .

How is it cold these SMALL Black piece?

How is it cold these BRONZE Piece I made ?

Where I can get those SMALL Black piece , 3mm ; 4mm ; 5mm inside Diameter ?.

All the Best and CLEAR WATERS

MARIUS

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2014, 08:37:09 pm »

"Where I can get those SMALL Black piece , 3mm ; 4mm ; 5mm inside Diameter ?" ask Marius

They are called E Clips........a cousin to a CirClip....any industrial ball bearing supplier will be able to help........

Having said that.....they should not break or fracture  >>:-(...are you machining the E clip groove to the correct dimensions?.....

Take the sample to the bearing shop........as the actual sizing is to suit the shaft size............... Derek

Try this link to Anderton.......look for E Clips

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CDIQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rotoprecision.ca%2Fproducts%2Fretaining_rings%2Fanderton%2F&ei=A6QsU4asOK2IiQfrqIGgBg&usg=AFQjCNHCxVc7pWyTfWr4jzWnlupaPjlHNw
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

profesorul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2014, 05:25:01 pm »

THANKS again DEREK:-))

My ONLY PROBLEM is They DON'T SELL 10-20pieces what I need , only 1000 pieces or at least 150USD per ORDER !!! not to mention about the SHIPMENT Taxes.
So I have to find a RETAILER to buy them , in UK/France/Germany . and in small Packs 50pieces/10-15GBP .
For now I have Solved but is good to know if I need more where I can buy them .

MARIUS

profesorul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2014, 04:07:00 pm »

HI ,

I got SOMETHING to day  :-)  :

Neodium Magnets , D= 5mm H= 10mm , 0.9KG pull force at the ends

Wheel see if there are so good as they say  ok2

MARIUS

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2014, 08:42:56 pm »

Just don't put them in your shirt pocket if you have a heart pacemaker......... {-)....did you sign the MDDS [dangerous goods] data sheet?..........Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

profesorul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2014, 08:47:16 am »

HI DEREK

THANK GOOD I don't need a Peacemaker  :-))  at least for the next 50YEARS  {-)  .
I DIDN'T sign anything ?!?!?! ....should I ?

P.S for those small O-rings with 6mm Diameter what Diameter has to be the shamfer ?.....8mm should be OK ?....and how deep in order to make his job ?

MARIUS

profesorul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2014, 08:19:59 pm »

Good Evening ,

- I advanced a little bit with component arrangement in WTC ....
- I mounted on a speed controller and receiver a piece of Velcro , and on PVC bracket also.....
- I put thicker wires to the motor ....
- I don't know what connectors to use for coupling the motor with speed controller and for connecting the battery to the speed controller ....
- I have not forgotten either the fuse that protects the receiver or the main switch ,
- I am most interested about what capacity should have receiver battery power ..... now I have 4,8 V = 4x1, 2V/2100mA - NiMh Accumulators ...
- is enough to power the receiver? .....
- if yeah, that autonomy would be? ...

I have some questions :
- what methods are most commonly used to isolate the power supply wires from the battery when they enter in the WTC ? ;
- can I put Sealed Lead Acid battery terminals in the in water if it does not fit into the WTC ? ;
- not is discharged or is short circuit?

Pictures next days . To day batery is empty

MARIUS

profesorul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2014, 11:53:33 am »

HI there ,  :-)    I have a bag pressure from a device to measure blood pressure and has the dimensions from the picture ...... would be enough water volume for my sub ?
What are the most used methods to calculate what volume of water is needed ?
PLEASE I need these answer FAST in order to buy the necessary length of the Acrylic Tube .  :-))

MARIUS

SwedishProjectBuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2014, 12:14:56 pm »

The submarine pushes away XX liters of water, and it weighs YY kilograms.
When the submarine dives below the water, these numbers equals each other rather well. Due to 1L~1Kg.
Basic stuff.
The thing is though, that every lite piece above the waterline when not submerged (the tower, hull, flag poles..) must be compensated with water in the ballast-system. When you have compensated for the not submerged stage, and the sub is in neutral buoyancy not much water is needed to get it down under water. (Can someone back me up on this? Not sure if I described it well)
 :D
So if lets say All your stuff above water weighs 1kg, you need 1 liter extra in the tanks.

profesorul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2014, 03:06:30 pm »

:-))   

THANK YOU @SwedishProjectBuilder .
I think is NOT going to be enough what I have  {:-{

MARIUS

merriman

• Full Mayhemer
  • I wanna go back ....
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2014, 03:35:03 pm »

Bags, rubbers and balloons -- and their associated pumps, solenoids, and other plumbing fixtures -- are notorious space wasters within the WTC. R/c submarines that employ dry or wet bags often are unable to achieve the vehicles designed waterline in surface trim. Why? Because of all of the space taken up by such a ballast sub-system items; little is dedicated to the retention of ballast water. The ballast water volume/sub-system component volume ratio is low.

Maximum ballast tank volume for the least sub-system footprint is the gas-system: A dedicated full-use ballast tank, a gas reservoir, a servo to operate a simple vent and blow valve, and you're done. Ballast water volume/sub-system component volume ratio is very high.

RCABS and the like are a fools-errand. Why give up all that unused space to a crumpled piece of elastic and associated gadgets when that lost space can be used to house additional ballast water?

Here's another option for you to consider:  http://support.caswellplating.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/363/23/the-sas-system---how-it-works

David
"Anything the human mind can conceive is possible -- you know that, Blake!"

profesorul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2014, 04:47:12 pm »

THANK YOU DAVID  :-)) ,

I didn't consider these system suitable for me because I am at the first steps "on these road" , and it looks complicated for me at least at these stage of my knowledge .

Was simple to understand the system : servo-left/right switch-pump  {:-{ .
If I will understand Your suggested System I am willing to tray .  :-)
Do you think You can guide me where should I look for more Information/PICTURES ?.

MARIUS

SwedishProjectBuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2014, 04:56:53 pm »

:-))   

THANK YOU @SwedishProjectBuilder .
I think is NOT going to be enough what I have  {:-{
No problem, I'm just glad to be able to help out.
As Merriman stated, the gas-system is probably the most volume saving option.
I myself have built my own piston tanks, but I wouldn't recommend it. They too take a lot of volume. Though I'm having thoughts on constructing piston tanks which don't have a long rod sticking out of it. But, tarts just thoughts for now. What I would like to do is constructing a submarine with several ballast tanks, all controlled from one gas tank. Integrated with some kind of regulator. Then it would be possible to make a "real" submarine with the ballast tanks surrounding the inner hull.

Picture from: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gOOthpwdIyc/UdLpTd_KyoI/AAAAAAAAAkU/2LQOvO06qC0/s1118/Submarine+works.jpg
 :}
Cheers!

SwedishProjectBuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2014, 05:06:12 pm »

Do you think You can guide me where should I look for more Information/PICTURES ?.
MARIUS
Check out Davids thread: http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,33589.275.html
To begin with.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2014, 06:31:10 pm »

Are you a member of the Sub Committee, Marius?

profesorul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2014, 06:53:40 pm »

@Subculture
Far as I know "I DON'T".  {:-{ .
"Sub Committee" is anotherr thing from "Sub Committee.com Forum" ?, because here I have an account . {:-{

THANK YOU both for Your Efforts  :-)   :-))

MARIUS

P.S between posts I make some work on these servo mount:

profesorul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2014, 07:32:34 pm »

@Subculture
Far as I know "I DON'T".  {:-{ .
"Sub Committee" is anotherr thing from "Sub Committee.com Forum" ?, because here I have an account . {:-{

SORRY  @Subculture I did a mistake , my account is on "Sub Driver.com Forum" 

MARIUS

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2014, 08:20:20 pm »

I see. Are you aware that as a paid member ($15) you can access the full back issue library of the Sub Committee Report.  That's almost 25 years of magazines, where there is a wealth of information with answers to the questions you are asking plus a whole lot more.

Works out at 15 cents an issue, which is a heck of a deal.

SwedishProjectBuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2014, 12:43:23 am »

So if lets say All your stuff above water weighs 1kg, you need 1 liter extra in the tanks.
I need to correct myself. ^above is completely wrong. What I meant to say was:
"So if lets say All your stuff above water obtains 1liter of volume, you need 1 liter extra in the tanks."
For every volume of liter your submarine has above waterline when not submerged, in form of hull, tower, flagpoles, etc. That same amount of liter must first be taken in to the ballast tank before you reach neutral buoyancy. After that you don't need much more water to sink.
What I said was a bit wrong. It doesn't matter how much your sub weighs above waterline, assuming your submarine is afloat.
Very sorry for the wrong answer. Weird how no one corrected me.  ;D

merriman

• Full Mayhemer
  • I wanna go back ....
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2014, 02:02:14 am »

"So if lets say All your stuff above water obtains 1liter of volume, you need 1 liter extra in the tanks."
For every volume of liter your submarine has above waterline when not submerged, in form of hull, tower, flagpoles, etc. That same amount of liter must first be taken in to the ballast tank before you reach neutral buoyancy. After that you don't need much more water to sink.
What I said was a bit wrong. It doesn't matter how much your sub weighs above waterline, assuming your submarine is afloat.

I've made the same mistake on several occasions -- it took Andy to set me straight: it's the displacement, not the weight above waterline you have to counter with ballast water. The weight of the displaced water is the issue, not the weight of the structure.

Exception: If you establish the mean specific gravity of all the above waterline structures, you can take their collected weight and correlate that of the ballast water needed. Since the specific gravity of polystyrene (1. something) is a tad over that of water (1), then you know directly how much water you need in the ballast tank to get the boat up to the surface trim waterline. I add 10-15% as a fudge-factor to insure I have enough lift.

David
"Anything the human mind can conceive is possible -- you know that, Blake!"

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2014, 10:07:18 am »

Do remember that using high density materials e.g. metals like brass or tin plate above the waterline will impact the amount of buoyancy you require below the waterline, and also you need to watch you don't raise the c.g too much as this will adversely affect stability.

Glass and Kevlar composites are king in model submarine construction because they give the very best strength to thickness and weight ratios.

It's actually very difficult accurately calculate the required buoyancy for a submarine, especially when they employ wet hulls and use hand laid composite/GRP hulls. There will be some inconsistency in the thickness of the laminate, and also the style of laminate will affect the density of the composite e.g. a laminate consisting of two or three layers of polyester gelcoat, resin and chopped strand matt will be considerably less dense than an epoxy glass cloth laminate.

The only sure way to find out the tank size required is to put it together, get yourself a test tank, trim the boat to neutral buoyancy, then use blocks of polystyrene foam fastened below the waterline (you can make a cradle to hold these) to raise the boat to the intended surfaced waterline. Take the blocks off, and measure them to find out the volume, add them all together, tack on 10%, and that is your ballast tank volume.

As an educated guess, I would think your LA will need between 500-700ml of ballast tank volume, assuming all the dive module is below the surfaced waterline.

profesorul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2014, 10:08:48 am »

HI  :-)

OK , is NO problem EAT for me .  ok2

DAVID

"I've made the same mistake on several occasions -- it took Andy to set me straight: it's the displacement, not the weight above waterline you have to counter with ballast water. The weight of the displaced water is the issue, not the weight of the structure.

Exception: If you establish the mean specific gravity of all the above waterline structures, you can take their collected weight and correlate that of the ballast water needed. Since the specific gravity of polystyrene (1. something) is a tad over that of water (1), then you know directly how much water you need in the ballast tank to get the boat up to the surface trim waterline. I add 10-15% as a fudge-factor to insure I have enough lift."

So let's see If I understand correctly:
- in order to know how much water I need in Ballast Tank I have to CALCULATE the Volume of ALL is ABOVE the Water Line ? .
- how about hes weight as a Sub , I mean If weight is, let's say 7,5 KG and the Volume of everything is on above the water line is 0,8KG I need a ballast tank with 8,5KG with those 10-15% ?

MARIUS

profesorul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2014, 10:09:15 am »

.......I post twice  :}
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.