Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Caldercraft's SS Talacre drawings or plans.  (Read 11137 times)

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Caldercraft's SS Talacre drawings or plans.
« on: February 06, 2014, 11:11:31 am »

I'm looking to beg, borrow or buy a set of plans for Caldercraft's Coaster "Talacre".  I bought a built model through our club and it's a bit of a "rescue pup"  The deck hatch and winch are missing and the superstructure, aft of the bridge.  It looks like the flying bridge was put on back to front too but I'm lead to believe that this is an error with the plans.  If anyone has plans I could borrow to copy I'll be happy to pay postage in both directions. Thanks in advance.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Caldercraft's SS Talacre drawings or plans.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 11:25:56 am »

Have you seen my build  here...........

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,43099.msg435210.html#msg435210

I'll dig out some drawings and check their sizes, as I seem to recall it's a big sheet or two.

Cheers

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 12:55:50 pm »

Ken
   Your'e Talacre looks great!  I spotted the same error Colin did with bridge.  I may have read that article too but it was a while back.  My boat is finished but parts are missing.  The electrics need work to use 2.4Ghz and it seems the superstructure and deck hatch have gone with the wind. It also need a general tidy up and a carrying cradle.  What I really need are the details from the drawings concerning the missing bits  I can deduce the size from the deck openings but need to know where to put ports, funnel, water tank davits, etc.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 10:23:59 pm »

I'll have a root around and see what I have.    :-))

ken

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 09:29:37 am »

I'll have a root around and see what I have.    :-))

ken
Thanks Ken, much appreciated.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 07:49:50 pm »

I've dug out the only drawing.  It's 3 foot by 4 foot and gone all brown  ????  Copying it would be a nightmare.

There is also the build instructions  (place part A on part B type)  but these are not really helpful if you are designing shapes.

I went through my build blog and all the information you should need is there so have a go.  It's quite a simple construction but,  if there is any particular section you're not clear about then please ask and we'll do our best to advise.

Hope this helps

Ken

hollowhornbear

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 08:39:38 pm »

have you tried contacting jotika/caldercraft?

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 12:05:14 am »

now c'mon Tailuk...get those grey cells going, get the juices flowing and a bit o' scratch building formulated..........how hard can it be to make two boxes and a flying bridge top for your Talacre to fit the hole that's already in the deck.......you don't need plans for that................the height of the main superstructure would be around 6'6" high with the wheel house box similar and the flying bridge half that height............. and the hatch to fit with a sloping front enf that the winch goes on.......haven't seen plans for mine for donkey's years but remember that much.
neil.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 10:55:25 am »

hey .............  that looks like mine Neil.    {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Cheers 

Ken

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 11:12:48 am »

I've dug out the only drawing.  It's 3 foot by 4 foot and gone all brown  ????  Copying it would be a nightmare.

There is also the build instructions  (place part A on part B type)  but these are not really helpful if you are designing shapes.

I went through my build blog and all the information you should need is there so have a go.  It's quite a simple construction but,  if there is any particular section you're not clear about then please ask and we'll do our best to advise.

Hope this helps

Ken

Ken
         Thanks for looking anyway.  As you can see below it looks like I may have to do without.
Thanks again
Les

now c'mon Tailuk...get those grey cells going, get the juices flowing and a bit o' scratch building formulated..........how hard can it be to make two boxes and a flying bridge top for your Talacre to fit the hole that's already in the deck.......you don't need plans for that................the height of the main superstructure would be around 6'6" high with the wheel house box similar and the flying bridge half that height............. and the hatch to fit with a sloping front enf that the winch goes on.......haven't seen plans for mine for donkey's years but remember that much.
neil.
I've got that much!  The size of the deck openings give a idea of the size of the bits require I can gauge the height of the superstructure from pics of other peoples models and the drawings in Waine's "Steam Coasters and Short Sea Traders" but I dislike being vague.  I'd like a drawing if I can get it but I'm not lost without it.  It's possible to estimate door and port positions from the other Talacres out there but don't forget that Caldercraft got the bridge the wrong way round so, in fact, a drawing may not do me much good anyway.  I'm really just covering all the bases. 
I've started work on the model and stripped out the old gear a Futabi servo and Rx an Electronize Speed controller and something I believe is a homemade BEC  (It has "BEC, Pat Pending" written on it).
The offending bridge was already loose and I removed the plastic Prieser figures that were making the deck look untidy.
I going to fit a new SLA battery so I've got to check the ballasting (about 3 lbs of lead.)  It's still a lot of work but I hope to have it on the water in a couple of weeks.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 02:10:44 pm »

Someone on this forum has a copy of the plans - mine :-))  I responded to an earlier request for the plans and instructions, but I can't remember who it was - sorry. {:-{

Barrie

hollowhornbear

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 02:30:49 pm »

I will say this once more, have you tried contacting Jotika, as talacre is still in their inventory, I'm sure if youasked they could supply the plans etc. As the saying goes they can only say no.
http://www.jotika-ltd.com/Pages/1024768/Ccraft_Front.htm
They have done for me in the past.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 03:33:01 pm »

Ken
          but I dislike being vague. 

the plans won't help you with measurements then if you dislike being vague...they were never drawn to scale in the first place....always with a caveat on them "DO NOT SCALE"

If you want to get a good idea then borrow a book from the library called "Steam Coasters and Short Sea Traders" by C V WAINE. There are plans in there for the vessel with correct arrangements.

the plans will only give a vague GA of what you have already.
neil

sorry, misread your post.........I see you already have that book..........I did all my re hash of the talacre to make a Ben Ain long before frank Hincliffe did the Mountfleet version.......and found working from the measurements in the book better than the caldercraft plans.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 03:50:16 pm »

I have moved this interesting monologue over to Working Vessels and perhaps you can continue it with your build pictures as you progress.

The Talacre and it's details were always discussed with interest, even when I was building mine.

Thank you

ken

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 03:59:16 pm »

I will say this once more, have you tried contacting Jotika, as talacre is still in their inventory, I'm sure if youasked they could supply the plans etc. As the saying goes they can only say no.
http://www.jotika-ltd.com/Pages/1024768/Ccraft_Front.htm
They have done for me in the past.
Sorry Bear I wasn't ignoring you on purpose. (That actually sounds worse, doesn't it!)  I contacted Jotika on Wednesday morning and haven't heard back yet.  They may come through yet.

hollowhornbear

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 04:22:48 pm »

try givimg them a call, if i remember rightly that's what i did, didn't think you were ignoring me. Thought you may have missed it. :}

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 06:19:31 pm »

I've been waiting for stuff to turn up so thought I'd make a start with Talacre.  Like I said she's a bit of a rescue pup (Pics 002,003 and 005).  I think that the deck hatch and rear superstructure were stepped or dropped on as the balsa deck coaming was cracking.  I flooded in some super glue and sanded them out a little.

While I've been waiting I tried my hand at one of her lifeboats.  I used old xmas cards over a Ply and Foam core.  The bow planking got away from me a little so I had to resort to filler. (Pics 008.009.) The boat is about 100mm long or 16 feet in 1/48th scale.

The superstructure and deck hatches will be fitted over sheet plastic inserts to ensure they are a good tight fit.  (Pic007).  The deck hatch coaming will be a vac forming to get the nice rounded corners.  The rear cabin is a sheet plastic "cut and shut" job.

The next job will be to fit the "gubbins"

To proceed I still need a little bit of data.  Could someone with a Talacre let me know the following if possible, many thanks.

Diameter and height of the funnel?
Length, width and height of the engine room skylights.
Length and diameter of the water tank.
Length and width of the base for the Gib winch.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 08:51:43 pm »

I've just been out and have the following measurements for you.

Funnel

Diameter 34.74mm 
Height  106mm
Tilt  backwards  11mm from base 

Engine room skylights.

Length  32mm
 width 22.6mm
height 10mm  tilt up centre  14mm

Water tank

Length 55.8mm
diameter 22mm .  rings on each end add to the Diameter at that point

Gib winch.

length  31mm
Width  41.5mm

Cheers

Ken

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 09:00:22 am »

Thanks, Ken, that's perfect. 

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 06:06:22 pm »

I unexpected found myself with a long lunch hour so I decided to give the deck hatch coaming a go.  The idea was to fit a vacuum forming around the plastic insert shown in the last posting.
I used the outside dimension of the insert to produce a vac forming pattern ( Pic 010) in MDF.  I made it in 2 parts for speed and to get a crisp line on the sloping part.  I pulled the vac forming in 2mm Styrene on one of the old Formech machines we have . (Pics 011, 012).
Trimmed out of the sheet and cut down to the level of the bulwarks (as per the references) I superglued it to the plastic insert and filled the top opening ready for the simulated canvas. (Pics 014, 015).
A little research on the battern wedges is needed but she definately looks better with the deck hatch back in place.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 07:57:07 pm »

Oh for a go on that machine.      :}

I suppose the plastic has to be quite hot to bend such angles  ??

Came out well.

ken

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 08:57:36 am »

The styrene we use is HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene) It needs about 140 degrees C to pull on a vac former You can juggle that temperature a little to suit the mould but overheating can result in the plastic pulling very thin in places.  Our old Formech machines will happily pull up 8mm thick in styrene and about 6mm in Acrylic "Perspex" or PET-G. These are our preferred plastic for transparent mouldings.  I'd post some pics of my workshop but I wouldn't be able to handle all the jealousy.    :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:   

teddyt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 11:22:08 pm »

i have a set of plans if you still need them. pm me
Hello Sailor!!

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2014, 03:00:04 pm »

An interesting problem arose when I started constructing the rear deckhouse. (see pic 016)  The deck immediately aft of the bridge is uneven, higher on one side.  I constructed the deck house, in 2mm sheet styrene, around the previously made deck insert (see pic 017) and when dropped in place it show the uneveness of the deck quite plainly (see pic 018)  The lower edge of the deck house was fitted to the shape of the deck and the top edge adjusted to appear level with the rear bridge rail. Then I added the deck house roof in 1mm styrene, trimmed to overhang by 2mm (about 4 scale inches)  This matches the line drawing in C.V.Waine's book.(see pic 019).

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2014, 03:12:51 pm »

Please note,  The rear cabin is only as high as a door frame.

ken

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.