Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Caldercraft's SS Talacre drawings or plans.  (Read 11147 times)

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Caldercraft's SS Talacre drawings or plans.
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2014, 03:42:57 pm »

I took the dimension fron the Waine drawing and from  looking at other Talacre models.  It's a "guesstimate" for sure but I'm fairly sure it's close. It's possble that the deck is lower than it should be. I've checked the other drawings in Waine and although there are no scaled drawings of Talacre the height of the rear accomodation on other coasters is usually between 7 and 8 feet,  thats 43 - 48 mms in 1/48th scale.
I've added the Talacre drawing from Waine's book so you can see what I mean.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2014, 03:47:38 pm »

Yes, you are correct.  The illusion from your photo shows the bridge a little low against it.

Great fun eh  !

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2014, 04:05:02 pm »

I'm pretty sure that the deck on my Talacre is lower than it should be.  This explains how a deck house that is only just taller than the door would fit to where it's shown on others folks models  My deck house is sized to reach from the deck to where it's shown on the sketch.
It also shows quite a gap above the door and I assume that the door wouldn't come right to deck level.  (What the USN call "knee-knockers")  Caldercraft supplied doors are 37mm (about 6 scale feet).
Still, if I was a "rivet counter" I wouldn't be proceeding without scale drawings. So, as our Australian cousins would say, "She'll be right".

No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2014, 09:25:55 pm »

TailUK.......this is certainly a very romantic image of Talacre .... :-))

Just a question....on vessels of this build/era.....was the camber of the deck not constant [arc/height to width]....irrespective of position? ie., from bow to stern?...and the carried upwards with the same proportions?

May just be artistic licence ....bit the aft bridge vertical timbers appear to have greater camber than the aft accommodation roof line.......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2014, 05:21:49 pm »

I think you got a point there.  The bridge wings look very steep. The camber on the deck house roof looks about right as deck camber decreases as it get closer to the stern and the bow but the bridge shouldn't be as curved as it seems to be.  It may be exagerated by the pic which is a photo rather than a scan but I believe from the available pics the curve should be much more gentle.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2014, 05:49:01 pm »

The painting is distorted and should not be used as an accurate reference. The photos are a better guide.

Colin

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2014, 06:01:35 pm »

I managed to get most of the detail fittings I needed from the show at Whitwick so carried on with the deck hatch coaming, which is now suitably "battened down" and painting the bridge. (See pics 022 and 023)
My researches have led me to conclude that Caldercraft kit represents a coaster called the "Doris Thomas" which was later re-named "Ben Ain" (the subject of the Mountfleet Models kit) and as a result I've decided on a name change to "Doris Thomas" for my model.  Mainly because I like that name better and I wont have to build a new Bridge.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2014, 06:18:13 pm »

I also finished the ship's boats. (See pic 024)

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2014, 04:44:38 pm »

The coaster is back on the water!  I fitted the "gubbins"  A 6v SLA and Turnigy ESC along with a servo and reconnected the motor.  The ESC may need to be replaced at a later stage but for now it seems to run the motor at a resonable speed.  I reinserted the lead ballast that came with the boat but looking at where she sits in the water I think a couple more pounds may be necessary.  All in all though I'm very pleased.  With the ballast evenly spread inside the hull the coaster seems to be really stable although the test pond wasn't very rough.  She cut through her own wake without much movement and this bodes well I think. (see pics 025 and 026)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2014, 09:59:35 pm »

Not bad at all.    :-))    I found they are great on the water and can get around very agile.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2014, 12:39:39 pm »

She does sail very well and now I've added some ballast the prop has stopped cavitating.  I can't believe that not including the battery she taken 3 kilos to take her down to the waterline (and I think the waterline was painted too low as well)  There also appears to be a leak around the prop shaft or rudder frame casting.  I'll dry her out and bung some epoxy resin in.

MartyH

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2022, 04:25:25 am »

Anyone got the plans/drawings/instructions? PDF's would be good.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 23 queries.