Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Humber smack circa 1880- build log  (Read 81314 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: Humber smack circa 1880- build log
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2014, 05:30:50 pm »

Thanks for the compliments Dennis, I too had a B GT many years ago. Sadly an operation back in 2010 meant I had to give up riding motorcycles so reverted to type and bought an MG TF! Happily it did pass its annual test of roadworthiness and has transported us back to Spain with no trouble at all, wife wasn't impressed that I didn't sell it though :-) I'm sure she had eyes on spending the cash from the sale!

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2014, 08:14:37 pm »

Brian, With your ingenuity I am sure you will over come the deck problem.  My solution the rubber used to draft proof windows. Basically a tube with a tongue which pushes into a grove. ( see earlier in thread ) I have 2 screws inside the fish hatch & 2 more in the companionway. On the Pilot Cutter 4  countersunk screws strategically placed under planks which are a press fit between the fixed planks. In the photos the screw holes can be seen. Also the cutter picture the space for the missing plank is just visible,  ( pages 1 & 3)   Geoff

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2014, 08:03:39 am »

Ridiculous you may say, but p76 shows one before and after figure I have started work on. Gone is the weaponry, off with an arm to reposition it, shave the head down to eventually form a sou’wester. He is well on the way to becoming the tillerman.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2014, 08:06:06 am »

In the last post you can see a problem that occurs from time to time. Text that is pasted is reproduced so small it looks like a solid line!   This is a paragraph that was missing from post 95, or should I say it is there but it is like the above post.  Lets see if I can get the missing paragraph here..
Ridiculous you may say, but p76 shows one before and after figure I have started work on. Gone is the weaponry, off with an arm to reposition it, shave the head down to eventually form a sou’wester. He is well on the way to becoming the tillerman

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2014, 03:45:31 pm »

As I left off my last update here is my answer to the lifting access hatch in the deck. These ships had a trawl towing post most commonly called a Dummy in these craft, I utilised its build to help tie down the hatch. P83 and p84 shows the beginnings of a square tube I formed from pine.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2014, 03:46:50 pm »

If we move on to p85, the square box I am forming has bulges on the four sides to form a kind of fixed vertical capstan. I made these utilising the trusty hand lathe ( power drill ) mounting a length of dowel in the chuck p85, I worked it with sandpaper until I had two ‘belly’s’ in the dowel.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: May 23, 2014, 03:48:08 pm »

Then cutting down the centreline to form two halves and then again across the dowel to form four quarters p86. This gave me the bulges to glue to the sides of my square tube, also in p86 you should be able to see from the line plan what I am trying to achieve, I think this makes it clearer.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: May 23, 2014, 03:55:19 pm »

So we move on to p87 and p88, we now have the square tube waiting for the addition of the four pieces of dowel and also an m5 set screw- no prize but who knows the difference between a set screw and a bolt? If no-one answers I’ll post it next time, I’ll come back to the set screw shortly.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: May 23, 2014, 03:58:11 pm »

The Dummy also formed the fulcrum for the arm or pump brake of the bilge pump, this can be seen roughed out in p89. Now does anyone see in p90 and p91 a mistake! The square tube finishes at the same height as the quarter belly’s that are now in place on the tube. As is the way of things I only noticed that I had failed to trim to size after I had glued the pivot into place. Over to the bandsaw and cut to size then carefully trim away the excess from the pivot before re-gluing.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: May 23, 2014, 04:00:48 pm »

On to p92 (and p93/p94) and a trial fit on the access hatch so far so good.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: May 23, 2014, 04:02:39 pm »

If we go back a couple of pics to the set screw. I epoxied this inside of the square tube so that it protruded by 35mm. This goes through the deck and into a swivel lock underneath the access hatch p95 in the open and p96 the closed positions. All I need do now is put the hatch into place turn the towpost a couple of turns and it tightens the hatch down as the catch engages against the opening edge. Once down enough the handle of the pump locates in the bilge water syphon. The groove is  waterproofed with the addition of some silicone tape.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: May 23, 2014, 04:06:19 pm »

I am making many fiddly little parts here and regret the fact I no longer have a unimat lathe. This was stolen quite a few years ago when my workshop was burgled and at the time I saw no reason to replace it, now I wish I had!
So next up was the steam capstan. Back in the late 1800’s this innovative piece of equipment brought massive improvements to the fishing industry, Invented by Elliott and Garood it was to be seen on almost every fishing smack around the coasts of the UK. The five man crew of a fishing smack could spend 6 hours or more hauling a trawl by hand if it was deep and full, the steam capstan meant it could be done in less than 30 minutes and the nets reset.
 In p97 shows the beginnings of the capstan, the two lower discs are in place on the shaft, this shaft has no function here except to mount the capstan flukes to, these are roughed out and also shown. P98 has the first four flukes in place and p99 all eight of them now glued to the shaft.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: May 23, 2014, 04:08:01 pm »

Then the top two discs are slid down the shaft and are glued to the flukes p100, this now gives us the almost complete capstan in the rough and still needing so fine sanding. The very top disc is a cheat, in the real capstan this is a crown wheel which does the turning of the capstan, the steam for the mechanism passes up a pipe in the centre of the capstan and activates two pinion wheels. As I didn’t have a crown wheel of any size in my parts box I have had to cheat and make do.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: May 23, 2014, 04:09:41 pm »

Almost finished now, p101 and p102 are two side views of the capstan showing the top. Fortunately for me the actual drive mechanism’s were always covered with a tinplate cover, so all I have had to do is simulate this.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: May 23, 2014, 04:11:22 pm »

As you can see, two pieces of ply cut to size and suitably rounded on the edges do this function. There was always a small warping drum mounted to the top drive as well. Finally to finish it completely I thinned down some varnish to water consistency and using a piece of toilet tissue p103 and p104.  I covered the piece of square ply in two layers, leaving the bottom edge slightly oversize to give the impression of a ‘tin’ cover.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: May 23, 2014, 04:12:27 pm »

Now here’s the odd bit, when it was completed it looked way oversize to the resin figures I have- coming to chest height on them. As I was working from a drawing that had measurements on it, I disappeared into my toolstore and took out a tape measure, the drawing said 42 inches top to bottom, holding the tape against me sure enough almost 42 inches to my chest height, so the capstan looks big but is correct!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2014, 04:14:59 pm »

After the capstan I moved on to the main sheet chock. I’ll post a couple of pictures but it really is a simple piece.  P105/106/107 show the almost completed fitting. I simply cut a piece of oak to the correct size, hollowed out the middle and then added on the two upper clamps that hold the spindle for the double block in the centre. I took one of the double blocks I had purchased from Modelling Timbers and drove out the pin securing the shieves. Then substituted my own the width of the chock and capturing the double block in the centre.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2014, 04:17:18 pm »

The hardest part of this fitting was the bullseye to the front of the chock seen in p106, I formed some brass wire around a bullseye that I had p108, and then with some panel pins doubled the wire back on itself to form a loop, really fiddly to do at this scale! Finally on the rear side of the chock is a cleat, again I have some plastic ones that are spot on for the scale so that was fastened into place with epoxy.
 I’m rapidly reaching the end of the deck fittings, all that I have left are the rear cavil rails and deadeyes, the dandy score, transit rail, skylight, companionway and a few cleats. Then it will be time to mount the masts. But before this I will need to turn the it back over and give the hull its final coats of paint. Having said that I’m not sure what the next instalment will have, bye for now.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: May 23, 2014, 07:05:33 pm »

A set screw is threaded for its whole length, a bolt is not. Hammer

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: June 03, 2014, 08:01:08 pm »

Before I begin this next instalment of the build I’d like to introduce you to my latest precision piece of equipment, or in my wife’s words ‘a new toy’ p109 and p110. It was my birthday at the beginning of the month but this is the first time we’ve been ‘shopping’ anywhere near a suitable place for her to buy me something. I wanted a Proxxon disc sander but at 208€ the colour drained from her face, I had to make do with the Dremel drill press at 46€.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: June 03, 2014, 08:03:16 pm »

So first on the workbench was the companionway, not a lot to describe really, build a box add the corner details and the sliding top job done! P111/112 show it finished and with a coat of stain but before any sort of weathering to it. Now some of you may have noticed the poor finish on the paint on previous deck fittings, this is deliberate, I want a worn and weathered look to the end model to reflect that it was a hard used working vessel. The deck fittings so far have been stained in a basecoat of oak and then drybrushed (technical term for dipping the brush into paint and then wiping it all off before application) with green, black, ochre and white. Then an all over wash (another technical term!) of dirt brown, this gives the timber pieces a worn and distressed look.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: June 03, 2014, 08:04:48 pm »

At some point in a model build I think most of us must have reached a low point when you throw your arms in the air and want to give up. For me this came with the assembly of the skylight! Not a box this time but a proper framework so more fiddly to do, I had seven attempts before I managed to get parts to stay assembled! I have a new found respect for matchstick modellers gluing them end to end!  Three sides had to be built as a framework p113/p114, each of the three sides having frosted glass.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2014, 08:06:54 pm »

Although not shown in the open position, one third of the top opened as an air vent and of course for the skipper to shout down to the ‘lazy’ deckhands below when he was at the tiller p115!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2014, 08:08:42 pm »

In p116 and p117 you can see two of the failures that ended up in the bin, in both cases I had made the framework too deep, hoping to get the parts glued and then trim down to size was a failure-start over!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2014, 08:10:11 pm »

Finally for this stage in p118 and p119 is the finished skylight, now glazed with frosted glass and in its basecoats of paint before matt varnish goes on.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.