Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Humber smack circa 1880- build log  (Read 81333 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: Humber smack circa 1880- build log
« Reply #225 on: August 21, 2014, 09:38:25 am »

Lastly a photo of the increasingly cluttered main mast p277. Next time I’ll include a better photo with all the blocks etc named for clarity.
  So that’s it for now, I start over with my sails and because they take so long to actually make I’ll only post updates when necessary for a while. Its going to be pointless showing a photo of a sail followed by another and another. I will post pertinent parts as and when I come to them, but hopefully try to keep with a weekly update of where I am.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #226 on: August 21, 2014, 03:13:30 pm »

fantastic build.
I have PMd you.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #227 on: August 22, 2014, 10:56:13 am »

I've sent you a reply Mark. :-))

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #228 on: August 22, 2014, 07:35:04 pm »

Brian, Looking really good I do like the weathering. I think the brass eyelets look out of place as they are over scale size by quite a bit. Full size would only be about an inch. I show a photo of my method, super glue on  cocktail stick poked into the cloth. On the corners of the sail I but the eyelet in a loop of the bolt rope. Also the white glue prevents the cloth fraying on the edge cuts. I have not been brave enough to stich the joints in the cloth, just pencil I am afraid. Keep up the good work almost there. 

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #229 on: August 22, 2014, 08:18:00 pm »

Hammer I take what you say about the eyelets. However the hole is 1mm diameter, so are actually scale or slightly over (.25mm) its the flange around them that makes them look larger than they are. As it is I have not used them on any of the other sails I have completed so far, having used your idea of the cocktail stick and superglue as you mentioned far earlier in the build.

As it is, I look at the almost completed boat now and see just how superior your build is to mine.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #230 on: August 23, 2014, 04:46:48 pm »

Brian, Don't even think my model is better than yours. You have made a fabulous job of yours, you can be justifiably proud of her. Of course you like me, know all the little things that aren't quite as we would wish. But don't worry no one else will know. (unless you tell um). Geoff.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #231 on: August 29, 2014, 12:12:17 pm »

Let’s start with the mainsail p278, I’ve got this machining down to a tee now, the only thing I regret is actually deciding to machine the seam lines in, that is taking forever with each sail.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #232 on: August 29, 2014, 12:15:16 pm »

Then p279 a broad view so far, still in place is the foresail that I have to remake and also the new jib sail from the last article now in place. This view also shows the topping lift on the main boom, the gaff in place with the main and peak halyards now rove through their respective blocks. The lower ends not belayed off yet as some adjustment will be needed once the sails are in place.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #233 on: August 29, 2014, 12:16:56 pm »

P280 and p281 are better views, the main sail now with its registration number airbrushed on to each side of the sail. For this I made a stencil by printing off the number on to thin card and then carefully cutting out the numerals with a scalpel. A couple of light coats of white paint through the airbrush gave a suitably faded effect to the finished number. These two photo’s also show the mast hoops laced to the main sail and the oversize lacing of the sail to the gaff, this has been replaced since the photo was taken.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #234 on: August 29, 2014, 12:20:27 pm »

Last time I promised to post photo’s of the topmast and name all the halyards and blocks, so lets begin with p282
1.   Lantern halyard
 2/3. Jib sail block and halyard (standing end) reeves up from starboard cavil( kevil) rail, through block 3 to the jib sail and then to block 3 on port side (two blocks either side of mast) then on down to port side cavil rail (fall).
4C/B/A   C is the standing end of the peak halyard, B the interim and A the fall blocks
5.             The peak blocks attached to the wire stays
6/7          Are the main gaff triple and double blocks.
8.             Is the wired main stay to the bow head.
9.            The fall block and halyard for the foresail from port cavil rail.
10.          The hooked block attached to the head of the foresail, the halyard standing end returns to tail eye of block located on starboard side.
11.           The three port shrouds which I didn’t re-wind with protective covering to their loops.
12.           The fall halyard of the main blocks that passes under a iron cavil in the deck before belaying to pin on port cavil rail.
Before I leave this photo I’d just like to quote from the book, these old time mariners certainly were poetic. This is a description of the main blocks as given by the late Skipper, Mr J.T Crouch—

Standing end is belayed round second pin in starboard cavil rail, leads under iron cavil in deck, up to treble block on horse, down through double block of tumbler of gaff, REEVING WITH THE SUN, fall goes under iron cavil in port side deck and belays to second pin on port cavil rail, sail hoisted by steam capstan.
What a wonderful turn of phrase. I have no idea what reeving with the sun means so my halyards went through the blocks in what seemed natural!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #235 on: August 29, 2014, 12:23:22 pm »

We move on to the next photo now p283 The starboard side of the mast head, just slightly different from the last photo, here we have……
1.      Again the lantern halyards
2.      The jibsail block starboard side
3.     Is the fall of the gaff halyards
4.     The foresail head block and just above it in shadow is the standing end of its halyard on the tail of another block.
5.     Is the downhaul halyard of the foresail
6.     The standing end of the jibsail which is belayed around a pin on the starboard cavil rail
7.     Hiding behind the shroud line is the topping lift block
Also to be seen in the photo but not numbered is to the upper right the black starboard wire backstay. Also the lacing of the the main sail to the gaff. In my haste I picked up a piece of rope that is the correct dimension(1mm) for halyards but not for the lacing, this has been replaced since this photo was taken with 1/2mm and now looks much better.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #236 on: August 29, 2014, 12:24:13 pm »

Next up is the topsail and more halyards and blocks- more clutter! And a few more details to add to the gaff and this end should just about be finished, but that’s for the next post.

Duncan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #237 on: August 29, 2014, 07:50:21 pm »

Hi Brian,

REEVING WITH THE SUN

means clockwise, i.e. as the sun rotates round you during the day.

Duncan

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #238 on: August 29, 2014, 11:45:57 pm »

Hi Brian,

means clockwise, i.e. as the sun rotates round you during the day.

Duncan

I wonder how this applies if you are in the Southern Hemisphere as it would then mean anticlockwise....????
Amateur at work...

Duncan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #239 on: August 30, 2014, 09:45:11 am »

I wonder how this applies if you are in the Southern Hemisphere as it would then mean anticlockwise....????

It's lucky Captain Cook had decent clocks to prevent confusion down under.  {-)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #240 on: September 11, 2014, 09:07:59 am »

As I sat down to finish off rigging the main mast it occurred to me that I had not demonstrated my hooks. Throughout the model there are various blocks that have hooks rather than being stropped, in real life these were swivel hooks attached via iron bands, not something I contemplated at such a small scale, so this is how I did mine.......

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #241 on: September 11, 2014, 09:09:27 am »

First of all I used fencing wire here, but any wire to the correct gauge will suffice as long as it is fairly stiff. I cut a short length from the roll p284 and then bend it around needle nose pliers p285 to form the offset seen in p286.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #242 on: September 11, 2014, 09:14:32 am »

Then once you have the offset, adjust the pliers along the offset slightly and continue to roll the wire around the pliers p287. This gives you the hook shape as seen in p288, however it looks what it is, a loop in a piece of round wire. So moving to p289 I grind flats on either side of the hook so that it looks flattened and then shape the hook point, I use a mini drill with a disc for this but it could be hand filed.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #243 on: September 11, 2014, 09:15:46 am »

Finally it is cut from the length of wire seen in p290, all that is left now is to drill the correct size hole in the end of the block in use and epoxy it in place. Hooks are not only used on blocks like this, but are also stropped via an eye and also attached to various halyards via an eye, this is how I do those.......

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #244 on: September 11, 2014, 09:20:11 am »

Begin by following steps outline up to p289, but rather than cutting free from the length of wire do these extra steps. Taking the pliers once again, hold the hook part in ordinary pliers and form a ‘shepherds crook’ loop just above the hook p291. Then separate it from the length of wire, continue to roll the wire over using the needle nose pliers p292.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #245 on: September 11, 2014, 09:22:21 am »

You end up with what is shown in p293, it may be possible to roll the wire to the complete loop, but if not gently squeeze closed with a normal pair of pliers. But it still looks wrong, if not done already grind the flats on the hook and squeeze closed some more if required. Then take hold of the hook with one pair of pliers and the eye with a second pair. Slowly twist through 90°, as can be seen in p294 this gives a much more pleasing finish to the article.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #246 on: September 11, 2014, 09:27:59 am »

Okay back to the boat, p295 and we have the topsail in place along with its topsail yard, I think I have this rigged correctly, I have read lots of reference material most of it clear as mud on how it was hoisted etc but not much on how it (the yard) was bent to the sail, p296 and p297. So I opted to lace it on much the same as the main sail is to the gaff.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #247 on: September 11, 2014, 09:30:45 am »

Finishing off the rigging for the mainmastwe have p298 which is the single block and hook for the forward fish tackle, this is secured to an eye in the deck just forward of the port net door. The upper double block is in p299, this is attached to the port mast cheek via a strop or chain, I chose chain because I had some of the correct size left over from attaching the topsail yard.

Also to the lower right of the highlighted oval can be seen the sheet block for the topsail, the sheet running from this to the end of the gaff and attaching to the sail via a shieve, the running end of the sheet being secured on the aft face of the main mast.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #248 on: September 11, 2014, 09:43:22 am »

Moving to starboard and we have the double block truss attached to the middle shroud line p300. This runs down to a single hooked block p301 shown hiding behind its purchase, still waiting for final attachment. This tackle was used for recovering the ships boat and was either secured to an eyebolt in the deck or casually attached to the gooseneck. I went with the eyebolt thinking it may restrict the movement of the sail and boom.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #249 on: September 11, 2014, 09:48:16 am »

I do have another instalment to post later this week but that will be it for a couple of weeks. We have to do the obligatory return to the UK so I will only have access via my tablet, all modelling stuff is left in Spain for when we return later in October. When hopefully I will be into the finishing stages of this build.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.