Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Humber smack circa 1880- build log  (Read 81320 times)

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Humber smack circa 1880- build log
« Reply #250 on: September 11, 2014, 10:23:09 am »

Very impressed Brian. Have you used chain from a model shop? I have found this snaps as the links are only bent around and the ends not joined. I use cheep necklace chain this takes the strain. I make the hooks from copper electrical wire, not strong enough? Well when I hammer it out to a point the copper will harden.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #251 on: September 11, 2014, 07:46:22 pm »

Same as you hammer, I bought cheap jewelry chain in the local '1 euro shop' :}

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #252 on: September 11, 2014, 07:50:49 pm »

I might have known you are on the ball.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #253 on: September 12, 2014, 06:37:17 pm »

I walk into shops nowadays and my first thought is, 'is there anything I can use on models'  {-)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #254 on: September 13, 2014, 08:29:30 am »

So on to the last update for a couple of weeks due to my return to the UK, we are now on to the mizzen mast and we’ll start with p302. This has the mizzen gaff in place with its peak halyards and gaff halyard in place. A close up is shown in p303, the lower of the peak strops here has a kink in it. I had to replace this strop and it has not been straightened or painted after slotting  on to the gaff yet.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #255 on: September 13, 2014, 08:31:23 am »

On to p304, this is the lower end of the mizzen topping lift, essentially a copy of the main topping lift, it is belayed to the starboard mizzen cavil rail, here shown with its excess halyard held to the belaying pin with a loop in the halyard as are all the ‘tails’ of the various ropes around the boat. In p305 is the running end of the mizzen gaff halyard, but in this case rather than being belayed to a cleat at the foot of the mast, it is taken to a pin in situated in the port cavil rail.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #256 on: September 13, 2014, 08:32:58 am »

Next is p305a the hooked block of the aft fish tackle, this is secured to an eye in the deck aft of the dandy wink, the running end secured to the end of the port cavil rail or belayed around a thole pin in the capping rail. 305b is just the double block of the fish tackle mounted to the ‘spider band’ of the mizzen.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #257 on: September 13, 2014, 08:34:29 am »

Almost done with the rigging, p306 is the topping lift block still with slack in the rope because it is unsecured in the photo. Then p306a is the double block of the purchase for the topping lift down to the single block at the starboard rail.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #258 on: September 13, 2014, 08:35:47 am »

So p307 is the first glimpse of the boat with its full suit of sail’s in place oooooohh! However it still has the pesky foresail that I keep promising to replace ( this has now been done and will feature in the next set of photos’)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #259 on: September 13, 2014, 08:38:18 am »

Following my usual practice of getting bored and moving on, I began work on the ships boat, a vital addition as it was used for ferrying fish boxes to the carrier for return to port and the waiting fish markets. In p309 is the beginnings of my plug. I sandwiched between to 25mm square lengths of pine a piece of 2mm card. Then to the top of it I stuck a plan of the boat and along one side I stuck a profile of the boat, the plan can just be seen in the pic. I then put the assembly through my band saw to rough out the shape of the boat according to the plan and profile. This gives to halves that fall apart as the only thing holding them together at the end is the thin plan stuck to the top, this is ok as the two halves are now separated.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #260 on: September 13, 2014, 08:40:24 am »

The card in the centre is replaced with a new piece so that it protrudes  along the bottom and in place of the plan is screwed a piece of ply, again p309 and p310. This card will form the keel of the boat in the final article. Yes the boat will be made of card, its easer to work as the boat is clinker built and no way was I going to attempt to do that with timber at this small a size!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #261 on: September 13, 2014, 08:42:55 am »

So p311 shows the plug sanded to shape and ready for the next stage, I used some vegetable oil on the wood as a release agent for later removal of the boat shell. Also can be seen the rough shape of the card keel, this will be sanded to final shape once it is out of the plug. Then finally p312, the thin strips of card I cut to form the clinker hull, all in place on the plug, I see from the photo that the top one has come up short by about a mm, easily fixed at the next stage.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #262 on: September 13, 2014, 08:44:35 am »

OK let’s carry on with p313, as you can see the ribs have now been added to the inner hull and its beginning to look the part, also to be seen here is the duckboard in the bottom. In the North Sea fishing grounds these boats were rowed over to the carrier. However the 1st and 2nd hands who undertook this rowing never sat down, it was all done standing up to get greater leverage on the overlong oars that they used.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #263 on: September 13, 2014, 08:46:08 am »

Next up was the capping rail p314, this was made from one piece of sheet mahogany again because this was  the thickness I needed and not because it was mahogany! I drew around the outside of the upturned hull direct on to the timber giving me an outline. This was cut on my bandsaw and sanded to final dimension. Then using a compass set to 4mm I used the edge to scribe the inner line. Using a coping saw I cut the centre out giving me in effect a ‘loop’ of timber. However this was flat and the boat has a distinct curve to the sides! So into a container of water and into the microwave for 5 minutes. It came out suitably hot and flexible, each end was supported on 10mm blocks and a litre bottle of water laid across the centre. Thirty minutes later it had dried and kept the curve in it. This piece was then glued all around the hull.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #264 on: September 13, 2014, 08:48:25 am »

Then p315 and you can see the longitudinal stringers two per side glued in on the frames, these are coffee stirrers cut lengthways. It’s almost complete now, p316 and p317 show it in primer paint, there has been three cross pieces added, these were to add strength but could be used as rowing benches should the need arise. I have two boxes to add, at the stern and in the bow. These old ship owners were resourceful if nothing else. The boxes are galvanised steel boxes completed sealed to act as buoyancy devices should the boat be swamped. You might lose your two crew to drowning but at least you could recover the ships boat!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #265 on: September 13, 2014, 08:51:08 am »

And that's it for now, back to it some time in October. We are off to catch the plane home in 2hours so it will be a couple of weeks before I can get back to it and finish the ships boat or as they were known, the punt, at least the trip allows me to get in fresh supplies to return with!

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #266 on: September 13, 2014, 03:53:21 pm »

hi ya Bryan 56

You know what, you know how to upset people  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) - I have an empty workbench - plans all over the place - trying to decide on my next build.   Decided on one model - read the Bluebird topic, thought about that - and now what do what I see - good read of your topic and very impressed to say the least with your build.

Now I am fancying trying to build a sailing ship - I have never built a sailing ship before :-)

I have the plans for the Humber Smack myself - and pondering over it now -

what a cracking build of yours this is.

aye

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #267 on: September 13, 2014, 05:33:22 pm »

Go for it John.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #268 on: September 14, 2014, 11:02:27 am »

Ah back in the UK, seems quite chilly here {-) John all I can say is have a go. This was my first model back after a 30 year hiatus and my very first sailing ship, until this I had always concentrated on ORSV's. Its been a rewarding if long build, I'm used to fiinishing a model in weeks, not a year +!

I'm already planning what to build next, do I refurbish my last ORSV which is badly in need of a rebuild or do I go for another sailing ship?? Whichever it will be I am also going to do the Black Pig (Captain Pugwash :-)) ) but only a small model maybe 8-10 inches, basically so I can build on my lap in the lounge during the winter months, I plan this on being as comical as the cartoon depiction and not what a real square rigger looks like.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #269 on: October 24, 2014, 06:06:25 pm »

OK  we are back in Spain and I have had a couple of days when I could get on with the build. I'll finish off with the punt, first up is p318 a view of the inside and it now has some paint on, the beginnings of the weathering on the inside the paint worn off the duckboards and showing bare pine through although it needs toning down a little. P319 is a bow shot and p320 upturned with once again the salt weathering on the white paint to simulate the dragging and rubbing of the punt hull on the deck.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #270 on: October 24, 2014, 06:08:37 pm »

Then p321 and p322 are just two more views from other angles to show the overall effect.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #271 on: October 24, 2014, 06:09:43 pm »

Propulsion, a boat needs oars, I began with 3mm square oak strip and sanded down until the correct round profile was obtained, this allowed me to narrow the ‘poles’ in the correct areas. My problem next was the blades of the oars, anything made of timber was too thick, get it down to the correct thickness and it was too fragile, card was the same. So for the first time in this model I used plasticard of 0.5mm thickness, p323. These were attached by cutting a slot up the centre of the plasticard for the poles to fit into. The end of the pole was notched so that a tenon joint could be formed between the pole and the blade and then the two epoxied together.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #272 on: October 24, 2014, 06:11:02 pm »

P324 are the oars shown together with the punt, they look oversize but are not, they were anything from 15 to 17 feet in length, the punts varied between 18 and 20 feet in length. Moving on to p325 and the blades have now been sanded down to the correct width and profile, just need painting.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #273 on: October 24, 2014, 06:13:14 pm »

Then finally for this little model the oars in place in the punt and fully painted p326. I’ve included an old photo p327 for comparison of the real craft, notice how the 1st and 2nd hands are sculling the boat with an oar each and the casually tossed empty fish trunks (boxes) in the bottom of the punt. So what’s next?

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #274 on: October 24, 2014, 06:14:43 pm »

That’ll be the Kedge anchor that will, I couldn’t source one of the correct size commercially so had to make one. Now the idea was to cast it from some low melting point alloy I still have, the problem was I couldn’t find anything in my area of Spain that was fine enough to use as a mould. So p328 shows the beginning of what was the plug but became the finished anchor. I used an offcut of timber with an arc drawn on it, then running a row of panel pins along the arc to make the form. I spread glue on three coffee stirrers and clamped them to the pins.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 22 queries.