Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Down

Author Topic: Humber smack circa 1880- build log  (Read 81335 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: Humber smack circa 1880- build log
« Reply #275 on: October 24, 2014, 06:16:02 pm »

Once dry it formed a lovely curve for the arms and crown. Then I added the shank p329 and glued that into place, the whole thing was then rough sanded to size. I added the flukes to each end of the arms and rough formed those as well. It can be seen against one of the semi finished crew members p330.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #276 on: October 24, 2014, 06:17:38 pm »

On to p331 and p332, I drilled the stock and used a length of copper wire to form the stock, on to the ends I glued a couple of small beads, the same ones I used for the parrel’s on the masts. Also in the pics are the shackle for the anchor chain and a thin braided wire which would carry the pin to hold the stock in place.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #277 on: October 24, 2014, 06:19:05 pm »

Then we have the anchor chain coupled to the anchor with the shackle p333, the anchor chain is cheap jewellery chain. I wiped it with a weak solution of battery acid to remove some of the plating on it, then washed it clean and left it outside in the sun for a few days, the patina on it is natural rust!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #278 on: October 24, 2014, 06:20:48 pm »

So to finish the anchor it is now painted p334 and p335, here it’s hanging from a handy clamp, again with the figure for size comparison. One thing to point out, I have made this with the stock stowed so to speak, I see too many anchors of this type laid on model decks and the arm locked in position. While undoubtedly some real craft did this, it takes up a lot of space and can form a hazard, far better to stow it correctly and lash it to either the winch or the bulwark.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #279 on: October 24, 2014, 06:28:18 pm »

Well as they say in all the best cartoons....th th that's all folks!

I have still a few little snags to clear up and some tidying of already added parts, but this model is all but completed. As our pool is covered for winter I can't show any on the water shots, so until I find some open water (our nearest reservoir is 50 miles away) I can't show her in action.

Finally I'll finish with a last photo. This shows just how hardy these old seafarers were. Look at them leaning on the rail enjoying a natter between net hauling, not a care in the world, then look at that mounting sea off the port bow!

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #280 on: October 26, 2014, 02:30:24 pm »

Really well done Brian. I do like the weathering.   Just put pictures of punts I have made. Made as full size on 2 frames.These for Pilot Cutters, Only one ore. 

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #281 on: October 26, 2014, 04:20:38 pm »

Nicely done with those punts hammer, the planking looks good not only on the outside but against the framing ribs as well.

Richardjm

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #282 on: November 24, 2014, 05:11:52 pm »

At a glance Brian, your Humber smack is very similar to my Lowestoft one but the detail you have got at 1:48 is amazing. My RC one is 1:20 but will still fit in the car when finished provided the topmast and bowsprit are retracted. I guess the anchor to be about 5ft tallish and that suits me fine as I have a Metcalfe whitemetal kit that scales to about that size. Thanks for the help

Richard

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #283 on: November 24, 2014, 06:45:39 pm »

For the Lowestoft variant check out hammer. He built his Albatross based on the Lowestoft one to 1/20th scale I believe and the amount of detail he has got is stunning.

T33cno

« Reply #284 on: December 19, 2017, 12:42:58 pm »

Amazing build  :-)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.