Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumas U S S Whitehall  (Read 30359 times)

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
Dumas U S S Whitehall
« on: February 09, 2014, 07:02:31 pm »

Pictures showing ply plate glued in the hull bottom I hope this plate will take out the sag in the plastic hull. The vac formed hull is a two part job with very little gluing area to join them together and the plastic is very thin. I will post more pictures  before the end of the week. .Glue used to fix plate Sticks all
Stan Reffin
Kirklees Model Boat Club. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Dumas U S S Whitehall
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 06:30:40 pm »

Pictures showing ply plate stuck in bottom of hull also outside filled with uhu Ackralit  glue this will have to be sanded down to give a strong joint. Next step to shape rudders and fit also prop shafts.

Stan. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 07:39:49 pm »

Was the pressure so much that you can see the wooden stiffener plate through the bottom? how did you prevent glue leakage making it stick to the clamp method below.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 09:13:04 pm »

Hi Warspite.  In my first post I mentioned the hull is very thin plastic so you will be able to see the outline of the ply plate. The hull joint is now very strong. To stop the glue from sticking to the clamps and timber blocks I simply rubbed candle grease on to the timber blocks. The exterior glue was applied after the ply plate glue had dried. Only very slight pressure was applied to the clamps hope this explains  more to follow.

Stan. :-)) :-)) :-))

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 09:31:03 pm »

Managed  to do a bit more today. Started to fit the balsa deck supports on the stern section I am having to scrap the 3mm deck section and replace with 1.5mm plastic card this will allow freeing ports to made in the hull. Next step is to fit rudders  motors and shafts.

Stan

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 03:16:37 pm »

I have purchased the prop shafts, props, motors and rudder servo. I am now waiting for new plan from the floating dry dock. The plan in the picture is the minesweeping version. Picture from Ellesmere last week end.

Stan

admiralbb62

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    • CNC Models
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 03:35:42 pm »

Looking good so far.  I'll be watching this build and hope to get mine going one of these days.

Charles
Charles

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 06:36:51 pm »

HI Admiralbb62. This is one of many projects that is on going. Most of the kit will be scrapped and rebuilt using thinner deck sections some brass etch parts more detail will be added better looking rudders and exposed prop shafts. Watch this space for more information.

Stan. :-) :-) :-) :-)

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 08:45:53 pm »

HI Guys. Not much done on this over the last few weeks. Today I have fitted capacitors to each motor and wired up the motors. Next job cut out prop exits and fit shafts and motors.

Stan

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 10:05:48 pm »

Worth mentioning that the Royal Navy had quite a few of these ships as a WW2 "Kil" class. From the photos I've seen most, if not all, had side exhausts for their diesel engines rather than the funnel of this model. Different armament arrangement, too.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 03:00:51 pm »

HI Guys after many moths of refitting my fleet I have now started work on the German minesweeper and the Whitehall hull. Prop shafts fitted in the Whitehall not an easy job a large slot had to be cut to get the angle right. A plastic box was made either side of the shaft and the hole on the outside of the hull was masked off and the box was filled with stabalit express. The masking tape is removed when the glue is about set and further coats are given to build up this area when the glue is dry the area is sanded to follow the hull curve. More to follow

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 09:10:30 pm »

Managed to do a little more this week fitted prop shafts and motors made good shaft exits in the hull . This week hopefully will fit the rudders and speed controllers more to follow

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 10:31:44 pm »

Your progressing well Stan. I like the boxes surrounding the tubes, very tidy idea.
Pond weed is your enemy

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 03:26:55 pm »

Just a few shots showing the home made A frames and how the shaft exits from the hull look after sanding to follow the hull profile. Props are 20mm in dia  further shots also show work in side the hull.

Stan

BS

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 04:49:57 pm »

Hello. I'm doing the same ship from the same set. Allow me here to make a description of the build process? Sorry - I write through the Google translator.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 05:24:07 pm »

Hi everyone not much done over the last few days. I have fitted the rudders and  the push rods hope to fit the rudder servo on Saturday more pictures to follow.

Stan.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 06:07:06 pm »

Hi Guys I managed today to get the rudders connected working in the drive controllers at the moment. more to follow

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 10:18:54 am »

Is the rudder servo glued by the bottom or just placed ready for a holder to be added? Your set up looks very tidy.
Pond weed is your enemy

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 11:49:19 am »

Some very good practical tips in this build. O0  O0

Digressing from the build, the shafts are exposed from the tube to the propeller.

What are the pros and cons on continuing the tubes to the A frame rather than the A frame acting as a bearing.

Not that you could do that without modifying the kit.

So I take it that the actual boat has “exposed” prop shafts.

The question is still the same, why and what are the pros and cons in the tubes extending to the prop.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 01:45:01 pm »

I will try to answer the questions.

The rudder servo is fixed to a plastic plate which is glued to the wood base. This allows the servo to fixed in place using double sided servo tape. You will see in my next pictures a plastic support has been fitted in front of the servo, this stops it moving when the servo push /pulls.

Exposed shafts - If the full sized ship has exposed shafts running through A or P frame then the model should follow suite but this is down to the builder.  If you are building a scale model then if the vessel had exposed shafts, then you would expect to see them on the model.   However there is no reason why the full shaft cannot be fitted right down to the prop, my personal choice.

Stan

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2015, 01:51:58 pm »

HI forgot to mention full size vessel had e/shafts. Further pictures showing wiring for the motors. R X and Speed controllers still to fit   
Stan

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2015, 05:24:30 pm »

Again thanks for the information Stan. Double sided servo tape, I will look out for it.
Pond weed is your enemy

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2015, 09:36:34 pm »

HI Guys a trip to my local model shop this morning to purchase a smaller lipo. The 2200 was little heavy a 1600 lipo is now installed. I would have liked to fit two ESC but space is at a premium so is the weight. Model is now in the test tank (bath)to confirm no leaks. I hope to fit the decks next week after a sail test this weekend. Forgot to mention fuse to fit in battery line and tidy up all the wiring. More pictures next week. Will be working on the German minesweeper rest of the week.

Stan.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2015, 10:36:28 pm »

Splendid stuff!
Pond weed is your enemy

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2015, 09:11:31 pm »

Great build so far--good to see this as it is a somewhat obscure kit.  :-))

I am going to have to diversify my adhesives; been hearing quite a bit about Stabilit Express and now this Uhu Acrylit. Newfangled high tech stuff, no doubt. 

Thought you might be going with 4-bladed screws like the original but 3-blades might give better performance...

~Harq
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 23 queries.