Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumas U S S Whitehall  (Read 30355 times)

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Dumas U S S Whitehall
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2015, 09:59:33 pm »

Maybe you are correct with the 3-blade props. The Admirable class and the PCE are so similar one is lead to think they're identical under the waterline...  The USS Rexberg PCE(R)-855 shows 3-blade props in drydock photos. :-X

Photo's failed

ken

~Harq

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2015, 10:29:25 pm »

Hi no pictures.

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2015, 12:35:27 am »

I see them just fine. Why is that? I do want to know.  {:-{

See here: http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/02855.htm and scroll down for the drydock photos.  ;)

Here's the pics I was referring to: http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/120285508.jpg

http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/120285510.jpg
~Harq

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2015, 01:03:57 am »

I see them just fine. Why is that? I do want to know.  {:-{

See here: http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/02855.htm and scroll down for the drydock photos.  ;)

Here's the pics I was referring to: http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/120285508.jpg

http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/120285510.jpg

All that shows in the previous post is a small square with black cross where there should be a picture usually happens when you don't up load the photo from your PC but refer to a web photo host.

In other words we all don't have the same access to your reference whereas if you upload your photo from your PC it is there for all to see.

There has been much commentary about using photo hosts and which ones etc but at the end of the day they all fail. Because if you move or cancel you photo storing etc all photos are lost to that thread. And as a photo is worth a thousand words lots of discussion is missing on the forum accordingly.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2015, 05:19:11 am »

I can no longer edit my post (how dumb is that?) so now I will post again just to rectify the photo content for posterity and because I myself dislike following an off-forum photo link. The pics weren't remote-hosted by me using photobucket or some such; only that they were located on navsource.org. In other forums this is not an issue because the photo site is usually quite stable as a web resource. ....So in the future, when posting I will disregard the photo button in the options bar and will use the attachment function instead.

Once again:
"Maybe you are correct with the 3-blade props. The Admirable class and the PCE are so similar one is lead to think they're identical under the waterline...  The USS Rexberg PCE(R)-855 shows 3-blade props in drydock photos."

~Harq

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2015, 05:25:24 am »

I can no longer edit my post (how dumb is that?) so now I will post again just to rectify the photo content for posterity and because I myself dislike following an off-forum photo link. The pics weren't remote-hosted by me using photobucket or some such; only that they were located on navsource.org. In other forums this is not an issue because the photo site is usually quite stable as a web resource. ....So in the future, when posting I will disregard the photo button in the options bar and will use the attachment function instead.

:-)) :-))  O0 O0 Yes that is all I ever use, and occasionally  re-size the image to the allowable limits
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2015, 05:36:41 am »

:-)) :-)) O0 O0 Yes that is all I ever use, and occasionally  re-size the image to the allowable limits

This is the one forum among many I visit that seems to have "issues" with intuitive usage. Guess it ain't all that intuitive or the problem is just me.  O0

Pity too that there's a size limit that is, well, limited. Small to medium pics are sometimes hardly useful at all. Anway, here's that shot I was supposed to show showing the USS Inaugural high and dry on the riverbank. She's got 4-bladed screws:

~Harq

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2015, 08:29:10 am »

HI everyone thanks for the comments on the props. Does it matter if you fit 3 bladed or four bladed  props  looking at pictures they carried both.

Stan

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2015, 06:55:46 pm »

Ultimately no, I think. I'm just trying to find out if there was a historical difference between the two vessel classes in regards to the propulsion design. They look similar and may be the same ship for all intents and purposes but they have very different roles...

I figure maybe the PCE required "speed props" while the Admirable class minesweeper needed better power at lower revs for its mission and role?

The USS Hazard (AM-240) which was originally buried up to the waterline as a museum ship, was refloated by flooding in 2012 and when the waters receded she settled again and exposed most of the hull to include the props which are also 4-blade. Of course this proves nothing so...Pffft! Who knows?  <:(

Anyway, back to your build, sorry for the diversion.
~Harq

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2015, 09:03:16 pm »

HI everybody sorry for no new pictures I have been busy with other things. The motors in this model have been removed they did not work very well when connected to the speedo cheap and cheerful. I have now replaced them with 2 MFA Como 140/1 motors and up to press they seem much better pictures to follow later this week.

Stan.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2015, 08:43:42 am »

Looking forward to seeing them!
Pond weed is your enemy

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2015, 08:23:30 pm »

Hope be back posting later this week.

Stan.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2015, 08:52:54 pm »

Hi Guys back on the scene once again. I have enclosed some pictures showing final fitting out of the running gear. Motors have been changed to MFA 140 /01 these run up to nine volts. Also included pictures showing balsa frames used to construct the bridge sections. These are very flimsy and I would recommend them to be made from plastic card. The bottom section will need a further 4 mm to give the correct height. More pictures to follow.

Stan.
Kirklees Model Boat Club

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2015, 11:12:07 pm »

Crikey that must really make some fumes when being laser cut!

Looking complex but good Stan.
Pond weed is your enemy

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2015, 04:17:10 pm »

Just a couple of shots showing plastic card applied to the balsa  frame work. When complete it does make strong construction. I have used super glue for fixing the plastic card to the balsa frame work more pictures to follow.

Stan.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2015, 08:29:28 pm »

The P C E hull had its sea trial this morning and I am pleased to say it sailed with no problems. I hope to have picture later this week.

Stan.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2015, 11:46:32 am »

That is good to hear! It means you have some more time to spend on the build rather than having to revisit the problems and sort them out.

Pond weed is your enemy

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2015, 06:58:59 pm »

Picture showing first sea trials of the Whitehall hull. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Stan.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2015, 07:21:44 pm »

Found a better picture Whitehall is visible to the left of the picture.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2015, 10:39:25 pm »

Was a fellow boater showing you his Fletcher while you were testing your hull Stan?
Pond weed is your enemy

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2015, 08:07:36 pm »

Just a few shots showing further timber fitted in the bow also plastic tube fitted at anchor points. Final shots  showing some of the superstructure  on the deck more to follow.

Stan

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2015, 09:22:51 pm »

One shot showing further bracing fitted on the fantail to give more strength when the rear section is glued down.

Stan.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2015, 10:18:17 pm »

I resined my stuffing tubes in today and they look like yours even though the epoxy is clear. I must be doing something right:O)

Looking good:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2015, 11:11:19 pm »

Found a better picture Whitehall is visible to the left of the picture.

I'm not sure that's a better picture, Stan. Your Whitehall, to use the vernacular, "photobombed" another's photo of a destroyer... {-)

Anyway, great progress on this kit. There's another build thread on RCG and it was built as-designed with a single screw--the reason given was that there wasn't enough room in the hull for two shafts and motors. But you've done fine with it.

You're a bit noncommittal on your motors, aren't you?  {-)
~Harq

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2015, 12:19:33 am »

P/M sent what is RCG.

Stan.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.