Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Johnson Motor Rewind.  (Read 4573 times)

Geoff C

• Full Mayhemer
Johnson Motor Rewind.
« on: November 10, 2014, 07:26:56 pm »

Hi Guys,      I've just stripped down a 540 type Johnson motor,   the wire that came off the 3 poles was about 1mm diam. and there was 16 turns on each pole.      What I'd like to know is, can I make a tugboat motor using thinner wire and more turns?   to run off 6-12 volts.     Regards,  Geoff.
All my senior moments seem joined together these days.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Johnson Motor Rewind.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 09:26:13 pm »

Hi, Go ahead and give it a try and OH welcome to the black arts. Nemesis

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 11:55:37 pm »

no reason why not..... I have an article somewhere with full instructions on how to do this, along with some formulas/charts on what wire and how many winds

I'll dig it out this week
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 12:15:05 am »

An educated guess would be around 27T or more. This is the old standard 540 spec that we used to race with. TBH unless you are desperate to do it you can pick up a 545 which will have more torque & lower revs. Really you need a 5 pole motor.
Jim

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 01:07:26 am »

This would do the job nicely, I had one fitted to my Tamiya King Hauler and the difference in torque over the standard 27T unit was extremely noticable
http://www.carson-modelsport.com/en/products/electronic/electricmotors/produktdetails.htm?sArtNr=500906023

not too pricy either
http://www.prices-model-trucks.co.uk/carson-truck-motor-suits-all-tamiya-114-trucks-81-p.asp
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

inertia

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 08:56:02 am »

Hi Guys,      I've just stripped down a 540 type Johnson motor,   the wire that came off the 3 poles was about 1mm diam. and there was 16 turns on each pole.      What I'd like to know is, can I make a tugboat motor using thinner wire and more turns?   to run off 6-12 volts.     Regards,  Geoff.
Yes, you can. I have a copy of an article by Glynn Guest (circa 2004) which details how to do this. The photos aren't brilliant quality on my copy but they are useful. PM me your regular E-mail address and I will forward it to you.
Dave M

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 09:58:36 am »

This would do the job nicely, I had one fitted to my Tamiya King Hauler and the difference in torque over the standard 27T unit was extremely noticable
http://www.carson-modelsport.com/en/products/electronic/electricmotors/produktdetails.htm?sArtNr=500906023

not too pricy either
http://www.prices-model-trucks.co.uk/carson-truck-motor-suits-all-tamiya-114-trucks-81-p.asp
That would be OK if you were using a gearbox, I assume he wants it direct drive. In which case screamers like this are not what you want.
Jim

inertia

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 10:13:57 am »

6,500RPM on 7.2v might be considered a tad fast for a tug but it's hardly a screamer - although I'll grant the silly name and lurid, juvenile artwork on the case would tend to make you think that.
I rewound a 3-pole 540 "screamer" with about 35 turns per pole and it was a pussycat on 12v. It was a fiddle trying to scrape off the enamel coating from the ECW where it needed soldering to the commutator. Getting the end cap and brushes back into place was the hardest part, but there was an enormous sense of satisfaction when I first connected a battery and it turned smoothly with no smoke. On balance, however, I'd recommend buying a motor to suit; life is too short for rewinding armatures...... 8)
DM

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 10:47:45 am »

My thoughts precisely Dave.  Being a Tamiya truck builder, I have all sorts of motors, but none of them run slow by themselves.  We always have to use a gearbox.

Cheers

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Geoff C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 02:39:35 pm »

Thanks everyone for your replies.      Dave, the PM's been sent.       What thickness of wire would I need and where from?            Regards,  Geoff.

Geoff C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 06:48:21 pm »

Thanks Dave,   Just read the PM.     I feel confident to have a go now.    Also thanks to G.G. for his great article.   I'll post some pics when it's working, cheers,  Geoff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 23 queries.