Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Flooding in England  (Read 10154 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Flooding in England
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2014, 09:02:00 pm »

Just driven down Blackpool prom after picking No 1 daughter from dance practice............ catastrophe...........Blackpool illuminations or what's left of them aren't faring well at all...........the prom's a jungle, littered with power cables and light bulbs.......just watched a Chelsea tractor slam into a wheelie bin on the prom..........and the idiot didn't even see it or stop..............hell, he'll have a headache in the morning when he sees the damage to his range rover sport, lol  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)     

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2014, 01:00:21 pm »

Probably out looking at the devastation, wonder if he'll go and ask for compensation due to foul weather damage?

Just think how more helpful it would be if all the gangs of media reporters in all the areas would be if they lifted a few sandbags between the reports?

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Re: Flooding in England
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2014, 05:22:50 pm »

Strange how none of the media have done a follow up on the Dutch Engineer with heavy drainage gear brought over from the Netherlands last Friday to start operations in Somerset. Despite Mr Cameron stating that however much money is required, it will be found, won't be enough for some.

Regards   Ian.
I agree with this, still it doesn't fit the Medias script so it won't be reported.  I remember being a witness to a Belgian Airforce Jet crashing in bad wether into the hills outside Folkestone, many years ago. We called several National Newspapers and all gave the same Response. "Did it Crash on houses?, how many dead? Near a School? when the answer was "No" to all of these, " No Reader Interest" End.

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2014, 05:32:32 pm »

Back in the 70s, Townsend Torreson wanted 3 new Ferries ( No bad taste remarks about Free Enterprise please), they went to the big shipyards in GB, but finally went and had them built in Holland. The reasons? No British Yard would give them a Firm Price, nor a Finish Date. Imagine," Will you build me 3 Ships?" Oh yes. "How much will they be?" Dont know, hard to say. "When can I have them ? " No idea , when we finish them I suppose.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2014, 07:56:48 pm »

Finally reported tonight on One Show, the pumps are working. More than can be said for the t****rs in anorack and waders spouting at peak news times that it's raining and flooding.

Regards  Ian.

Danny

• Gorleston Model Boat Club
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Gorleston MBC
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2014, 08:49:04 pm »

I think this is all part of "dumbing down TV".  They have to pretend the "be involved". 
As if we don't know what some Whitehall office looks like in the dark after they've gone home!
Now if they reported from somewhere flooded shoulder deep (I'm not cruel), then I might watch!

Cheers
Danny

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2014, 09:38:22 pm »

Back in the 70s, Townsend Torreson wanted 3 new Ferries ( No bad taste remarks about Free Enterprise please), they went to the big shipyards in GB, but finally went and had them built in Holland. The reasons? No British Yard would give them a Firm Price, nor a Finish Date. Imagine," Will you build me 3 Ships?" Oh yes. "How much will they be?" Dont know, hard to say. "When can I have them ? " No idea , when we finish them I suppose.
I dont know why this has appeared in 'Flooding in England' post , BUT in the '70's -'80's there was a concerted effort to 'RID' the UK of shipbuilding, I've been in and around shipbuilding all my working life & I can assure you our prices would've been as competitive as anyone else IF WE HAD BEEN ALLOWED TO COMPETE everything was put in the way 'Export guarantees / no intervention fund access / import charges / etc etc . . .When the Japanese (gov' supported) could place prices cheaper than we could buy the Steel it was rather like banging your head against the dock wall . . . .(moderator please delete these two posts if they overstep forum rules) :police:
Bill  >>:-(

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2014, 11:10:28 am »

It did drift off a bit.    %)

I guess, that's what make this Forum.      :}

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2014, 12:25:26 pm »

IF WE HAD BEEN ALLOWED TO COMPETE

No competition, we were the best in the world at lightning strikes.    O0

Regards  Ian.

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2014, 07:12:09 pm »

No competition, we were the best in the world at lightening strikes.    O0

Regards  Ian.
No argument from me , "Custom & Practice" used to be the battlecry of the Unions  %%   , had an altogether intransigent attitude to management, then they sold their members down the river by agreeing to "percentage pay increases" do the maths . . . £100 a week @ 10% or £200 a week @ 10% or £500 a week @ 10% . . . . so who'll get the most ? it wasn't us "dirty hands" workers that was for sure  >>:-(
Bill

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2014, 07:41:43 pm »

Just in case you chaps hadn't noticed, there was an interesting and relevant letter in 'The Times' on Saturday last about the rights of way between boats and vehicles.

Assuming that the flooding is ' the high seas or WATERS CONNECTED THEREWITH' under the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea, then there are clear rules.

Road Vehicles, being confined to the submerged roadway, shoud be regarded as being "Restricted in their ability to manoeuvre" and should therefore display from a mast three shapes in a vertical line: ball over diamond over ball. At night these are replaced by a vertical line of lights: red over white over red.
Immobilised vehicles would be treated as "vessels aground" and would be required to display three balls or three red lights in a vertical line.
Other vessels underway are then obliged to take avoiding action.

I trust that the above is of use to the general Mayhem Data Bank>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> %) 

Stavros

« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2014, 08:26:50 pm »

What on earth has unions etc etc to do with FLOODING YET AGAIN we seem to have gone left or is it right off course

Dave

condeh

• Shipmate
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2014, 09:01:31 pm »

Just in case you chaps hadn't noticed, there was an interesting and relevant letter in 'The Times' on Saturday last about the rights of way between boats and vehicles.

Assuming that the flooding is ' the high seas or WATERS CONNECTED THEREWITH' under the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea, then there are clear rules.

Road Vehicles, being confined to the submerged roadway, shoud be regarded as being "Restricted in their ability to manoeuvre" and should therefore display from a mast three shapes in a vertical line: ball over diamond over ball. At night these are replaced by a vertical line of lights: red over white over red.
Immobilised vehicles would be treated as "vessels aground" and would be required to display three balls or three red lights in a vertical line.
Other vessels underway are then obliged to take avoiding action.

I trust that the above is of use to the general Mayhem Data Bank>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> %)

back when I was doing my time I recall being told of a very, very, old case of a car, driving thru flood water on the Thames as I recall, colliding with a vessel, and being prosecuted under the Rule of the Road (IRPCS).

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2014, 09:46:03 pm »

Having witnessed the flooding in Oxfordshire, reading about people bleating on about unions makes my blood boil. Spare a thought for those affected and who have lost so much.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2014, 11:20:42 am »

What on earth has unions etc etc to do with FLOODING

A few drips lead to a wave of misery. :-))

Regards   Ian/

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2014, 05:46:24 pm »

I went shopping today, parked on the shore of lake Sainsburys.
Grendel

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2014, 06:15:29 pm »

Plenty of vacant mooring bollards  :embarrassed:

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2014, 06:57:27 pm »

bbc news today full of the floods in London one week  not a word about somerset 8 weeks 

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2014, 10:44:22 am »

Nice photos of the car park, know it well. Didn't you take a model with you? Would have been on TV for sure!

wee speug

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2014, 10:12:41 am »

Having just recently joined,,Ive read this topic from start to finish...and...find it strange....that after 3 pages of discussion..on the plight of all those who are suffering.....from this catastrophe.....The original topic poster...has not uttered another word.....the mind boggles....

wee speug...
Come, and I will show you,where the Iron Crosses grow

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2014, 12:25:26 pm »

Having just recently joined,,Ive read this topic from start to finish...and...find it strange....that after 3 pages of discussion..on the plight of all those who are suffering.....from this catastrophe.....The original topic poster...has not uttered another word.....the mind boggles....

wee speug...

Aye Wee Speug,

It was a Scotsman that started it  8) 8) 8)

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2014, 01:30:29 pm »

RE:Having just recently joined,,Ive read this topic from start to finish...and...find it strange....that after 3 pages of discussion..on the plight of all those who are suffering.....from this catastrophe.....The original topic poster...has not uttered another word.....the mind boggles....

wee speug

Hi  little sparrow.
 yes a Scotsman may have started the thread as he wanted to empathise with those experiencing the hardship having been there himself. I thought it strange that no one on either side of the border had made any comment about their / our own humanitarian disaster as members are usually quite quick to comment on most topics in the news which affect them.  The fact that my post has generated such debate has given members something to talk about as there was recent comment about the forum being quiet.   
 The fact I have not made any more comment in the thread is that I had expressed all in the original posting. 
 Frank.

surfs up

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2014, 07:54:59 am »

Found this on the BBC travel site for Hampshire,

Flood Street  Flood Street Breamore, both ways at Breamore   Hampshire - Flood Street in Breamore closed at the Breamore junction, because of flooding.

Surf

:o %%

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2014, 08:32:19 am »

Nice photos of the car park, know it well. Didn't you take a model with you? Would have been on TV for sure!

in this case a priority? the model or the car   :police:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.