Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Customs & Import duty?  (Read 7411 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Customs & Import duty?
« on: February 13, 2014, 03:55:41 pm »

Can some explain this to me?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

black magic racing

• Full Mayhemer
  • when winning is all . it stops being a hobby
Re: Customs & Import duty?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 04:16:59 pm »

glad im not the only one :(( they add vat to the cost of the items imported and then add the clearance fee (which i might add can be anything) for having to add the import tax and tell you you need to pay it %% i got stung £18.75 for a item from the states that only cost me £26 about £15 of it was a handling charge now called a clearance fee  {-) {-) {-)  what a joke
FAST is never FAST enough
Black Magic Racing with BMPRS    Telford Model Boat Club
Birkenhead Model Power Boat club Vice Commodore

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 05:16:41 pm »

If UKIP have their way you will be paying that for everything imported from Europe, nice thought isn't it?

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 05:21:46 pm »

If UKIP have their way you will be paying that for everything imported from Europe, nice thought isn't it?

And what prey, is your basis for that statement?
LB

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 05:25:35 pm »

If it's real, You get stung on importing anything over £16 value - it used to £18 but they reduced the threshold - it's a 'we say so' tax and the handling fee is extortion.

Unfortunately, you have to pay it to get your parcel.

If it's fake, it's a scam to get your cash on the off chance you are expecting a parcel from overseas. (how did they get your e-mail address?)

inertia

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 05:26:53 pm »

It's what happens when you try to buy stuff cheap, Martin.
Any opportunity HMRC has to charge relatively insignificant amounts and it's in there like a rat up a drainpipe. Mention Vodafone, Starbucks or Amazon however and they're nowhere to be found.
"The Post Office" is the new definition of "blatant overcharging", especially now that it has shareholders who want even more than just an instant two quid profit per share over issue price. Put the two together and the total grief is far more than the sum of the parts. The fee incidentally is charged to you for the PO telling HMRC that you owe them money!
There's just one rule and it's dead simple; they've got your gear and you're not going to get it until you pay up.
Ce n'est pas magnifique, mon brave..............
O - and Nordsee is quite correct. At the moment when you buy anything from an EU supplier you pay their domestic VAT, whatever that rate might be. There's no paperwork; it just goes straight into the till. If we leave the EU then ALL purchases of goods from anywhere outside the UK (even Scotland??) will be VAT-able as imports into the UK.
Buy shares in the Post Office NOW! You know it makes sense!
DM

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 05:38:34 pm »

I can't understand why everyone gets so worked up about this.

It has always been the case.

It is nothing new.

Get over it.

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 05:51:00 pm »

Martin is your fault

when you have money on the cover, remember the IRS has eyes everywhere, is not it DAVE

you want to hide from me?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 05:54:13 pm »

It's what happens when you try to buy stuff cheap, Martin.

Au contraire O great Sahib!   ok2

It was a gift of home made 'Chile jam' from a friend and he marked it Gift $0.00 value
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 05:55:19 pm »

Martin is your fault

when you have money on the cover, remember the IRS has eyes everywhere, is not it DAVE

you want to hide from me?

I think still got his hand in with the 'old gang!'.....

inertia

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 06:39:31 pm »

You got doubly done, Grasshopper.
There ain't any VAT on jam  {-)    even if it's from Chile, 'cos it's classed as food, dude - but you can't expect any organisation that charges eight quid for a single-line Customs entry to know anything about the VAT Zero Rate regulations, can you?
I'd take it up with the Post Office and HMRC - if you have the stomach and the patience...............and no, I wouldn't have anything to do with the present bunch of idiots in HMRC.
Gamekeeper turned poacher, me!
Dave M

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 06:45:56 pm »

If you order from HobbyKing you can decide what percentage of the actual price you want to appear on the Customs invoice and whether it is Trade,Gift or a Sample.

15% is very popular I am told, but I always choose the 100% option  O0 and am sure you do too.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 08:11:59 pm »

the HMRC will get there YTS to make a number up and the the get there make parcel farce to let you know and charge you for collecting your parcel from there place . want it dilivered it to your door thats more. It is nothing more than day light theft. I have had loads of parcels from the us and not once have they got it close.
What they do is give you a real real crap exchange rate this waks up the tax. If it comes via any other way than USPS they take that as a service and wack that vat on that even though 80% + of the service was used up out side the uk LOL.
There are ways around these problems and marking the parcel as gift is not one of them

john

FsASTSyd1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 08:25:41 pm »

Not quite knowing what the import VAT rate is or was I think I paid the so called import VAT on the postage charges as well!!!! >>:-( <*<  Isn't the extra or odd £8.00 what the post office charges as an administration cost for handling the paper work.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 11:06:42 pm »

The 'import' VAT rate is the same as whatever it is normally - 20% for most things.
Duty and VAT are charged on the total (declared) cost of goods plus postage. This is because in the past some unscrupulous traders would sell something for £0.01 and then charge £10/50/500 for the postage. Loophole closed!
Duty is calculated first (if applicable) and then VAT is charged on the total of goods, postage and Duty (Yes they charge VAT on the first tax !@!.
The importing carrier - PO/Parcelfarce, Fedex, UPS, whoever, is required to collect the relevant charges for HMRC. The 'clearance fee' is their charge for providing this service. It is decided by each carrier but is not dependent on the value of the transactions. £8 is very cheap - I've seen £20.
As Sandy says, this is as it has been for many years now. It's taxes - it'll help pay for flood defences, or the NHS, or MPs expenses ...

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 11:29:04 pm »

How do they come to that value and then say it worth nothing but charge VAT
 to the tune of £12.20??? How is VAT on £0.00 £12.20?????    >>:-(

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 12:26:02 am »

So what you are saying is that:-

You paid nothing for the goods.

You paid nothing for the postage/shipping of the goods.

Your box arrived worthless and you are stunned you have to pay £12.20 on nothing.

You're stunned, I'm gobsmacked.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 08:06:54 am »

.... and I haven't even got the parcel yet!   >:-o

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 08:13:16 am »

Drat ... my sarcasm, which is the lowest form of wit, may have got lost in translation. :-)

inertia

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 08:37:42 am »

Parcelforce once brought three identical packages of motors into the UK from the USA for us; same goods, same value, same weight, same everything. They managed to calculate and declare three completely different values for the VAT, ranging from £18 to £34. None was correct, but not as wrong as the VAT due on zero-rated food - of any value. VAT at zero-rate on zero value is doubly nowt! It's worth taking up for the amount charged; at least you can have a bit of fun with the imbeciles.
DM

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2014, 09:04:37 am »

DAVE if you protest you'll pay 3 x 34 lbs

do not think about 3x18

inertia

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2014, 09:37:54 am »

J-P

The irony is that we were entitled to claim the whole lot back as input VAT! Martin can't do that because it was a non-business import.

L'ironie, c'est que nous étions en droit de réclamer le retour beaucoup comme la TVA! Martin ne peut pas le faire parce que c'était une importation non commerciale.

Dave M

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2014, 09:44:01 am »

.... and I haven't even got the parcel yet!   >:-o

If you haven't got it yet how do you know what the sender put on the customs label?
I've been charged 'wrong' because the sender put the wrong values on the label.
The importer may open the package to check the contents - almost certainly will if there no labelling.
Some foods do attract vat, possibly not duty.

inertia

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2014, 11:43:13 am »

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageLibrary_PublicNoticesAndInfoSheets&propertyType=document&columns=1&id=HMCE_CL_000118#P56_3120  (See Para 2.2)

There's no VAT on jam. Trust me; I did the job for 31 years. I still have nightmares about it (seriously).
Anyone tasked with the job of making Customs entries (especially for a fee) should be aware of the VAT Zero Rate Schedule. It's one of the basic parts of being a shipping clerk. This particular idiot was not only unaware of it, but also managed to multiply zero by 20% and get £12.20.
What scares me the most is that he/she was probably the brightest candidate they interviewed....................
DM

BTW There's no VAT on chocolate body-paint either. Who drafts these regulations??  :o

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2014, 12:37:27 pm »

There's no VAT on jam. Trust me; I did the job for 31 years. I still have nightmares about it (seriously).
Maybe, but until Martin gets the parcel and can see what the contents were declared as (eg. as the sender just put gift instead of jam) we don't know if the charge is actually wrong.

This particular idiot was not only unaware of it, but also managed to multiply zero by 20% and get £12.20.

Where does your zero come from? The document Martin has published doesn't show the 'taken' base values of the contents or postage, so we don't know how the £12.20 came about. It suggests a total value of £61, which may be the postage (that's a lot), but again, we have to wait to see the declaration label before judging the collecting company.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.