Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Customs & Import duty?  (Read 7414 times)

inertia

Re: Customs & Import duty?
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2014, 02:03:06 pm »

Where does your zero come from?

It was a gift of home made 'Chile jam' from a friend and he marked it Gift $0.00 value (Martin's text formatting, not mine)

Ref the postage, the VAT liability of any separately-identifed carriage costs follows that of the supply of goods. The value for Import Duty would include the carriage to the first point of arrival in the UK after clearance at the port - that's if there were any duty payable. I don't have a copy of the Tariff to hand but I feel pretty confident in saying there isn't any duty payable on chilli jam.

A valid commodity code (TARIC code)) for the goods has to be declared on a Customs entry. If the sender did not identify the goods sufficiently to enable that to happen then the matter should have been referred to the importer, who is the person legally responsible for classifying the goods. See HMRC Notice 600. In this case that would be Martin.

(You don't work for the Post Office, do you?)

DM

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2014, 02:28:06 pm »

Latest:
Post Office have decided to return item to sender.
I've asked them to stop the return and see what the customs declaration actually says on it!

Last time my friend sent me the jam it arrived without question..... got lucky or it arrived on a Friday I guess!

It's great Jam ( a little weird, strawberry jam with a chilli kick! ) .... but I'm not sure it's worth all this effort.
  >:-o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

cabman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2014, 02:46:00 pm »

You've lost me Martin. Where do they say that the value is nothing? They say the excise duty, etc are all zero but it doesn't mention the value of the imported goods. For that matter, neither do you but you know what you paid and can work out the percentage of duty owed from that value. I can't understand your argument. We have always paid import tax.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2014, 03:21:23 pm »

It was a gift of home made 'Chile jam' from a friend and he marked it Gift $0.00 value (Martin's text formatting, not mine)

Ref the postage, the VAT liability of any separately-identifed carriage costs follows that of the supply of goods. The value for Import Duty would include the carriage to the first point of arrival in the UK after clearance at the port - that's if there were any duty payable. I don't have a copy of the Tariff to hand but I feel pretty confident in saying there isn't any duty payable on chilli jam.

A valid commodity code (TARIC code)) for the goods has to be declared on a Customs entry. If the sender did not identify the goods sufficiently to enable that to happen then the matter should have been referred to the importer, who is the person legally responsible for classifying the goods. See HMRC Notice 600. In this case that would be Martin.

(You don't work for the Post Office, do you?)

DM
Looking at the page you linked earlier jam/preserves aren't listed specifically. So it's interpretable whether they are ZR or SR. As a 'gift' I'd probably go SR as in that circumstance it's likely to be something special rather than a basic foodstuff.

I can't imagine the PO or whoever is going to bother to get into a lot of correspondence with 'the importer' for an £8 fee and low values.

No I don't work for any carrier, or ever did. I have simply bought a lot of stuff (several $1000) from abroad over the years, mainly USA, so I have researched this and have some experience of it. 9 times out of 10 there hasn't been a problem - the few times the charges were wrong were always down to the sender putting wrong or ambiguous information on the customs declaration - most recently a book which the sender just described as 'goods' ... so I was hit 20% VAT. Not the PO's fault.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2014, 03:23:09 pm »

Nope, not paid anything, still trying to clarify the charges cabman
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2014, 03:26:49 pm »

Last time my friend sent me the jam it arrived without question..... got lucky or it arrived on a Friday I guess!
Luck certainly used to come into it, but with the rise of internet, and therefore international, shopping I think they are cracking down on stuff labelled as 'gift'. It's a 'loophole' like the postage used to be. I suspect it might be simpler/cheaper for your friend to put 'Homemade jam $1.00' on the label in future.

cabman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2014, 04:26:09 pm »

You've got me hooked on this one now. I've read it properly now. I have read the following:
HMRC.gov.uk.a guide for international post users Reference notice 143 (Jan 2013) which states that from Jan 2013 gifts with a value less than £36 in value will be free from any import tax, etc providing that the sender has declared the value. You mention that he states that the value is zero. Is it possible that you can't have something with a zero value? Good luck but don't get in a PICKLE and PRESERVE your patience.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2014, 04:35:24 pm »

Its a wierd thing is importation. My son regularly buys his T shirts from the U.S (no I have no idea why) His last parcel was 1 t shirt cost $22 inc postage. It arrived here and had 24% import duty added to it and then a handling fee of £8. So he paid almost the equivelent of the t shirt costs to get it off the post office!

Its odd really, if they come parcel force you always pay the fee. If its the local posty and he catches you at home 9 times out of 10 he just gives you the parcel! That'll probably change now its privatised {:-{

inertia

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2014, 06:40:36 pm »

The problem with the law is that there are at least a hundred bar-room lawyers for every professional.
DM

Tugmaster

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2014, 03:35:35 pm »

If the value of the item is £135 GBP or more then you will pay standard rate VAT on import  You will also have to pay DUTY on the item, and this is calculated on the price of the item, the postage fee and also packaging price, all added up TOGETHER and the duty will most likely be 5% of that total.
I've just bought a 1/50th diecast model from Australia at £132 gbp - no VAT charged.  I paid minimum postage [airmail] and was not charged duty [their discretion - HMRC]
If in doubt, phone HMRC and they will advise you on what you may have to pay!
Garth

inertia

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2014, 04:35:14 pm »

My mistake; a hundred and one.
DM

StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar

• Full Mayhemer
    • StarLoc FiveStar quality adhesives and glues at FMK
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2014, 07:02:30 pm »

Import duty seems to be wrong every time if they charge it!

I bought a PulseJet engine from China the end of last year, the declared value by the seller was $30 , I paid $140 including shipping , invoice in box was removed by customs and they then charged me about £300 VAT, no duty....just £300 worth of VAT and a £30 customs clearing charge by parcefarce

To get the jet I paid it....., filled the form in to claim it back as being incorrect, provided documentation and have heard nothing, I dont think I will ever get that back, most expensive china pulsejet ever , I can just about get a quality racing one from Italy for that
Formulators and manufacturers of quality adhesives and surface coatings for industrial , DIY & modelling sectors since 1988
See us online   www.shop-4-glue.com
on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/gianthairyhedgehog/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.