Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from Somerset  (Read 2366 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Hello from Somerset
« on: February 15, 2014, 02:58:58 pm »

Well hello there!

I am Ian from said waterlogged county. I have recently taken my long standing side interest in warships to the next level: designing and modelling them for radio control use. I do like the warships of the ninteenth century and into WW1 where many vessels were still used. I have a hull plug under way currently which will I hope become the turret steam ram HMS Rupert. I have no frame plans so I am carving it free hand which is a challenge despite model making for a living.

I have recently joined the Yeovil Model Warship Association and have only had positive experiences.
Pond weed is your enemy

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Re: Hello from Somerset
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 03:30:51 pm »

Well hello there!

I am Ian from said waterlogged county. I have recently taken my long standing side interest in warships to the next level:

What 1/4 Size   :} :}  you might need them.. {-)

Welcome to the Madhouse  %%  we like pictures but note if posting direct they need to be less than 200kb

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 04:38:06 pm »

Thanks Mr longbuild. I have posted a couple on the other interests section and they seemed to upload without a problem so I will continue to do what ever it is I am doing right (for a change :O ) and put some more up of my Hull plug.
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 11:35:44 pm »

Hi Ian

Welcome to the forum

You will find all the info you need about HMS Rupert on here with all the Victorian era modellers who are building 1880-1901 vessels at the moment. Armoured rams are so interesting, a cross with battleship turrets with a big nasty ram beneath the waters surface, just got to be careful with the draught when on the water, my Insect class gunboat Gnat only has a 2 inch draught with 1.5inch above the surface, the waves can easily roll over the deck. Any way good luck :-))
I'll look through my photo collection and upload some pictures next weekend of the armoured rams.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 08:50:00 pm »

That is most kind of you Mr launches. The Rupert has the blessing of raised bulwarks at the stern forming a protected gun position for the two 64pounder RMLs. Now I reckon that If I am clever with my internal layout, I can have the removable deck section within this area leaving the foredeck and main deck area sealed and water proof. The turret will have its pivot mounted inside the turret roof with the servo inside a barbette to the diameter of the turrets inside thus raising the freeboard of this area.

This means I should not have to compromise with the hull's freeboard demonstrating how wet they would have been.

Ballasting will need to be done before the deck is fitted or munted in tubes glued into the bilges allowing adjustmenrt and removal if the model starts to get a bit hefty!

You and I do think alike as I have a set of plans for Gnat and have always wanted to build an Insect, possibly with the 50calibre 6inch guns as seen on one or two vessels. Do you have 'Armed with stings'? It is a great book with lots of juicey descriptions of actions and the fate of these wonderful bomb dodgers!
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 07:19:34 pm »

Hi Ian

Sorry I didn't put these up for you yesterday but a rather nasty cold really knocked me for six!

I'll see if I can find any more for you, all the above are of HMS Rupert with the gun turret pictures are from HMS Hotspur, Rupert's sister ship. The books I found these in are

British Warships 1860-1906 A Photographic Record by Nicholas Dingle
The Black Battlefleet by Admiral G A Ballard

A good website for Royal Navy Armoured Rams is

http://www.cityofart.net/bship/hms_rams.html

Hope you find this helpful, to answer your question, I have a copy of Armed With Stings, and I thoroughly agree with you, a brilliant read into these unknown gunboats. There are some more books about the insect class,

Gunboats of the Royal Navy by Paul J Kemp
Gunboats on the Great River by Gregory Haines
The Shallow End Of War by Conrad Cato

You can see my build of Gnat in the Warships section of the forum, as she could have appeared in June 1941- lots of guns, camo, and history! :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 05:40:15 pm »

Thankyou very much! The images of her later when fitted with 6inch guns astern are interesting and would give an excellent alternative to her original armament there.

Also I am much obliged for the book references, I shall note them down for future reference.
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 21 queries.