Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Now you didn't want to do that!  (Read 1999 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Now you didn't want to do that!
« on: February 16, 2014, 07:03:14 pm »

The weather being good yesterday I set about replacing our back door. Out with the old which practically fell out on its own. Prepare the opening offer up and put in place the new frame and door. Get it all plumbed and true then anchored into walls with frame fixers. Then it was just fill the gaps with expanding foam, let it go off and then trim away surplus.

Well when it came to using the foam there seemed to be rather a lot going into the gaps, I know how much this stuff expands! So I stopped squirting and went in via the front door. Oh how I laughed when I got to the kitchen, my wife was none too pleased though, even when I said it cleans up really easily as long as you let it set first. Luckily for me this morning it did peel away from the tiles and left no mess...........

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Now you didn't want to do that!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 07:21:49 pm »

Done that, got the tee shirt, its down to the fact that until it starts to go off, it falls under gravity due to the weight of the liquid state it is partially in, best to do it in stages, then start worrying when the warm weather comes as it starts to expand again  :embarrassed:
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 07:33:04 pm »

when I had to fit the new front door that the wife got on ebay, I found that the door was nearly 1/4" bigger than the advertised dimension, now this was the maximum that I had calculated,the wife then decided that 4.30pm was a good timne to start fitting it. with that extra 1/4" it was a very tight fit, including shaving off parts of the plastic section to make it fit, but it went in and was firmly secured by 10.30pm, it was draught proofed and sealed round the edges the next day, why dont they listen when you say I will do it tomorrow, when its daylight and I can see what I am doing. its so tight that ther is only aboit 1/16" clearance under the door as it opens to the floor.
Grendel

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 07:38:39 pm »

this is a good protection against flooding!

do not touch anything until this summer

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 07:45:40 pm »

My Thoughts there exactly  :}

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 07:41:11 am »

It would have to be a flood of biblical proportions. We live 700mtrs above sea level up a mountain in Spain. It rained very heavily on friday- the terrace got wet but it evaporated in about 4 minutes {-)

Warspite it has not dropped out of the frame, it has squirted from under the corners. Each corner had a socket into the floor for the frame stiles- don't ask it is Spain! Anyway I thought I'd fill them with the foam first before finishing off the outside with edge with silicone.

IanPal

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 07:57:34 am »

That did make me  {-)

As said above, been there got the T shirt, now I know at least I know I'm not the only one  :-))

Ian

cabman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 12:05:04 pm »

Why don't our women listen? When a man says he will do something it means he will do it. There is no need for a woman to remind him of it every six months!

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 05:00:28 pm »

I know what you mean, they are quite persistant arn't they  >:-o , and you don't get any thanks for it. By the way, I wasn't critisising about it spilling out, just commenting on what sometimes happens when the gaps too big and you keep filling and filling and it keeps dropping out etc  O0
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 08:47:54 pm »

It's ok warspite I know what you meant, I was just saying what happened in my case. I know how bad this stuff is for getting everywhere. A couple of years ago I was cleaning out some dried foam from the nozzle on the can (not the spray tube) I was using and old nail, the nozzle snapped off and I was covered in expanding foam.

As it was summer here I was shirtless and only had shorts on, my torso was covered in this stuff. Oh how she laughed when she came outside at my calling. She laughed even harder if that was possible when she took a pair of nail scissors and begane to carefully cut away the hair from my armpit where a huge piece of foam had begun to harden. It took about 3 weeks for much of it to come off my body.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.