Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brass tool cutter  (Read 4218 times)

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
Brass tool cutter
« on: February 02, 2014, 02:16:43 pm »

Hi all

l have tried to cut the brass with tin snips but it always curls up and you cannot get a decent cut, l was wondering if any of you who are working with brass could shine a light on the subject, what tools would l need for cutting straight lines,corners and holes, any help/comments please...........

I'll not be doing a lot of brass work, so an expensive tool is really is out of the question

david48

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Brass tool cutter
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 03:11:57 pm »

What are you trying to make? how many ? Maybe this is a bit obvious I just use drills, files, hacksaw,in some cases a chisel and all the other Dremel attachments, and as I have just discovered photo etching that comes at a cost.
David 
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 04:03:20 pm »

Stanley knife and steel ruler?

You are right tough, why are they so expensive?!!

http://tinyurl.com/l5vfyhz
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Den W

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 04:13:33 pm »

If it is brass shim sheet you are trying to cut ,I find a Swann Morton scalpel is a good tool to use.just place the sheet of brass ( marked up )on a piece of cutting board and away to go.you may need to gently cut twice but this works for me,plus the fact you can take off the dull point of the blade with a pair of pliers so as to keep using it until the cutting edge has gone..hope this helps ...DenW
1 Small Part of  "OMRA,s" Great Team

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 07:04:21 pm »

Thanks lads
I have a piece of KS brass strip and using a Stanley it has take about 30 cuts and have got nowhere. Also used snips and it curled  Its about .5 mm think maybe too thick. Its for the platforms on the boat mast I'll go thinner try that.

Just the other night I was watching a t.v. programme about building a brass model locomotive OO scale and they seem to use something like  a little hand saw with a rough stringy blade about 3-4 long   

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 08:07:41 pm »

tin snips or aviation snips come in three cuts , left , right and straight , depending on which one you use will curl the metal cut in different ways , you can also buy a razor saw which is capable of cutting metal as well as a variety of other materials , so it may be a useful tool for your collection ? 

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 08:20:50 pm »

Use a dremel or similar with a cutting disc in it Alternativly put it in a vice and use  a hacksaw

Dave

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 08:30:13 pm »

Yes....must agree with Stavros here  O0 ....this is a 20 mm diameter diamond powder coated disk.......

Absolutely brilliant for brass :-))......do not attempt to use on copper sections......  >>:-( ..... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 09:24:02 pm »

Think the saw you've seen is called a Piercing saw Seaspray, normally used in clock making for piercing out the wheels, also in jewellery. If you have a scriber, by using a steel straight edge and initially fine strokes and then a couple of heavier ones on both faces of the metal, the piece can be "broken" off. The rough edge then needs filing or rubbing on Silicon Carbide (Wet and Dry) paper. Holes can be either punched in the metal or by using a drill with the cutting face rake reduced, otherwise the drill grabs.

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 10:18:00 pm »

Thanks again lads  :-))

Circlip

A Piercing Saw I think thats the answer and a look at thinner brass.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 04:43:08 pm »

A little late but if you have a bandsaw with a fine blade this will cut it, there is a technique though.

You need to have the brass sheet supported on a pice of sacrificial plywood or mdf, it doesn't have to be thick it's just there to stop the brass being pulled downwards when it touches the blade.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 06:15:19 pm »

Hi Brian56
I wish I had a lath but never have any  much work for it. Same with a band saw but if I had one I would find plenty for it. I've a scroll saw and thinks it is to fast and shaky for brass cutting and my old Dermal

I got a Piercing saw and 72 blades from John at Scale Models so that seems to solve the problem. Also got new brass sheets @ 0.25 mm they'll be easier  to cut.

I know about the support your speaking of  as I have done marquetry pictures and still have my old fret saw and the support somewhere in the shed

Cheers all

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 07:52:26 pm »

That's 10 Thou in old measurements and for long straight pieces, the scribe and break technique will be better.

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 09:27:23 pm »

they seem to use something like  a little hand saw with a rough stringy blade about 3-4 long

they are called piercing ( or jewellery ) saws..........  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JEWELLERS-FIXED-MODEL-FRET-PIERCING-SAW-BAG-OF-NEW-BLADES-/331124354187?pt=UK_Crafts_JewelleryMaking_GL&hash=item4d188cac8b

worth their weight in gold for brass and silver work............don't use mine often but when I need it......it gives great results.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 10:38:26 pm »

Circlip

I'll try the scribe and break way as I think it will be faster but its only two pieces to do for the mast Practise and speed for the future is what I am wanting.

Neil

Cheers, that is what I got its German so its of good quality and adjustable. Nice build your doing and fast. You'll soon have caught up with me. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.