Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: U-Boat news  (Read 2678 times)

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: U-Boat news
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 03:25:58 pm »

Now that is good news, I'm so glad someone realised that this significant part of our history should be preserved for the public to see.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

PSSHIPS

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 07:57:04 pm »

What about the Plymouth?
 From what we can see, the Bronny has had it!

Robert Davies

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 11:41:15 pm »

From the original article, copyrights acknowledged:

The boat will be cut into three sections for transportation to its new site by water, using a floating crane. When it arrives at Woodside, huge, high-quality glazed panels installed over the end of each section will allow visitors to see inside the submarine from specially-built viewing platforms.

Not entirely sure I like the sound of that.....

-Rob

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 12:00:18 am »

The problem is that to walk through her is actually quite hazardous and therefore limited to relatively fit and agile people.  This will obviously open her up for everyone to see.

I consider myself lucky to have been through her and seen the conditions in a more realistic environment but we are back to the old "Cutting holes in ships sides" argument that we went through a couple of weeks ago.  Our wheelchair bound coleagues want a look as well.

They need to generate some income to support this project and if this is the way to do it then I guess we have to accept that it is better than cutting her up completely for scrap.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Admhawk

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 02:41:16 am »

The Science museum had a nice display in Chicago of U-505. They cut holes in the side, and opened some of the hatches to allow easy access through part of the boat and out the side further down. The sub was partially inside the building. Access was easy and the sub still had enough original interior that visitors could enjoy the experience. Not perfect from a purists point of view, but the display always had long line ups.

I believe some changes have been made since I was there last, so I don't know what it is like now.

On the other hand, when I visited the museum at liverpool, I had to prearrange a tour, pay extra and squeeze through the sub. (I'm a pretty big boy) I enjoyed it, but access wasn't anywhere near as convenient as the sub in Chicago.

Glad it's going to be preserved.

Darren

sinjon

• Sinjon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 07:52:41 am »

A few years ago I had a look around the U Boat pens at St Nazaire, vast concrete structures, but even better, in one of the pens in the water was a submarine, not a U boat, but open to the public.
A bit special, going around a sub, in a U boat pen. Worth a visit if its still there.

Colin
Colin

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 06:33:23 pm »

be interesting what they find inside the hull when they cut into her
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 09:17:55 pm »

The hull has always been accessible to able bodied people so there won't be anything new revealed.  One of the initial reasons for salvaging this vessel was that it was thought quite likely that her keel contained a substantial amount of Hitlers gold that he was trying to get out of Germany in the latter stages of the war.

Consequently every nook and cranny was investigated before it was realised that it was nothing more than a normal type IX.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 05:55:01 pm »

bunker when i toured the sub when the new brighton nbmbc had a display on the plymmy, I did a das-boot style swing through the hatch as i moved aft!
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.