Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: EMAIL ORIGIN CHECKER  (Read 3947 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
EMAIL ORIGIN CHECKER
« on: February 18, 2014, 09:04:05 pm »

Hi has anyone on here got a checker installed on their computer that I could pm an email address to to find where it comes from........don't want to download a free one as I usually forget and end up paying a wodge for months of doing sod all.....only want to use it once.......
if anyone has one could they check one for me please. cheers, neil.

furball

• Full Mayhemer
Re: EMAIL ORIGIN CHECKER
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 10:37:43 pm »

The actual email address is useless by itself, Neil, as long as it fits the right format, the sender can set it to anything they like. What you need to examine is the header on the email itself, sort of like the addressing on an envelope.

This gives more information:

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/workingwithipaddresses/qt/ipaddressemail.htm

Cheers

Lance

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 11:33:00 pm »

cheers lance......will have a look at that. neil.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 10:26:29 am »

If you use Thunderbird as an email viewer there is a built in facility.  Just above the top of the message, on the right hand side is a tab labelled "other actions".  This reveals a drop-down menu which includes "view source" which gives all sorts of info including the sender IP and email address.
Other email programs might do something similar.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 11:43:04 pm »

Malcolm,

Have you had any experience with Outlook Express and how it compares to Thunderbird.

Have a recommendation to switch to Thunderbird, as Outlook Express is no longer supported, as it is XP vintage.

A bit old like me.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 11:28:47 am »

I swapped over years ago, when OE stopped supporting my hotmail account.  Its pretty much what OE should have been, only simpler and easier to use.  As long as you can remember your account name and password, the present day version is breeze to set up.  I did it for a mate the other day on his new laptop.  After downloading it, he wandered off to find some refreshment.  By the time he got back it was installed and I was waiting for the password from him.
When I changed over, the MS replacement was Windows Live, which refused to work like I wanted it to, so I went the Thunderbird way, no regrets at all. 

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 12:00:54 pm »

Thank you, am steeling myself to bite the bullet, so better get cracking.
Thanks again :-)) :-))

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 02:04:36 pm »

Hi Arty

You might be interested in my experience. Last December, my desktop popped its clogs so I bought a new laptop - first problem, it came with Windows 8, which I hate with a passion! Second problem was the discovery that I could no longer use Outlook Express.

I opted for Thunderbird and, like Malcolm, found it very easy to set up and use. It looks as if you are still able to run OE, in which case you should have no difficulty transferring your messages across to Thunderbird. I could not and only had folders that had been transferred to the new laptop. This resulted in a long drawn out saga - if you have any difficulties in this area, let me know and I can tell you what Internet advice to ignore!  O0

Mike

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 05:31:12 pm »

Hi Arty

You might be interested in my experience. Last December, my desktop popped its clogs so I bought a new laptop - first problem, it came with Windows 8, which I hate with a passion! Second problem was the discovery that I could no longer use Outlook Express.

I opted for Thunderbird and, like Malcolm, found it very easy to set up and use. It looks as if you are still able to run OE, in which case you should have no difficulty transferring your messages across to Thunderbird. I could not and only had folders that had been transferred to the new laptop. This resulted in a long drawn out saga - if you have any difficulties in this area, let me know and I can tell you what Internet advice to ignore!  O0

Mike
Win 8 should have updated to Win 8.1, which was the case with my mates laptop.  We found a desktop program, and it now acts very much like a Win 7 machine, only faster.  We wound up downloading a desktop Skype to replace the one that could only be accessed via the toytown screen.  I think there were a few intrusive "apps" that had to be killed, but it currently runs like a good 'un.
Fortunately there is a strong and helpful community out there, ask a question on google and usually, assuming the right words have been used, good answers will pop up.

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 07:34:15 pm »

Thanks Malcolm. I, like you, have managed to make the laptop usable by deleting "apps" and much re-configuring. (Doesn't stop me hating Microsoft's assumptions about what I would find helpful in their software!) I have resisted the repeated offers to download Windows 8.1 on the basis that I do not want to spend more time kicking that into shape as well. The alternative desktop program looks like a good idea.

You must be much cleverer than me - because usually when I have used all the "right words" (not necessarily in the right order), the search engine displays a very different mind set from mine! Why does it always automatically assume I want to buy something?  {:-{ I agree "good answers will pop up" but so will a lot of bad ones!  %%

We seem to have gone "off topic" - but Neil appears pleased with the advice he's been given.

Mike

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 08:20:31 pm »

You really need  Windows 8.1 to resurrect the desktop alternative.

Colin

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 08:23:49 pm »

You really need  Windows 8.1 to resurrect the desktop alternative.

Colin

8.1   :-)) :-))

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 08:29:40 pm »

Mike,

Likewise I had a change of PC, newer refurbished model, with  dual core chip and windows 7.

After a week I gave up and had XP professional re installed and have been running OE and XP office satisfactorily.

Life has been a little simpler since.

My Son with a similar powered PC, is having XP professional reinstalled after contracting a bad virus that couldn't be removed, had to replace the hard drive.

Not to mention SWMBO "shares" my PC and is PC intolerant.

So XP and XP programs, (IE8, Office Pro etc), it is until absolutely necessary to change.

Neil is very tolerant and understanding :-)) :-)) :-))

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 08:46:26 pm »

All you Win 8 haters may be interested in this quote from Gizmag

Whether you love it or hate it, Windows 8 keeps moving forward. Windows 8.1 added a lot of features and interface improvements to the first iteration. Now another improvement is coming, which Microsoft is calling Windows 8.1 Update 1. It's like a service pack that improves security and stability under the hood. But what's most notable is how it makes the Start screen and modern interface easier to use with keyboard and mouse on traditional computers.   

Barrie

..... and another very happy user of Thunderbird. I've been using it for several years now.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 09:17:57 pm »

Eventually they might come up with something that will satisfactorily replace XP.

My son in law and other "industry" users, such as mining, automotive,tomention a couple, must have XP computers, laptops or desk tops to run diagnostic software which wont' run with other than XP operating system.

Some of these users are very enlightened PC operators not like me all fists.

No need to tear the rest of my hair out changing for changes sake. It aint broke.............

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 01:27:15 am »

Eventually they might come up with something that will satisfactorily replace XP.

My son in law and other "industry" users, such as mining, automotive,tomention a couple, must have XP computers, laptops or desk tops to run diagnostic software which wont' run with other than XP operating system.

Some of these users are very enlightened PC operators not like me all fists.

No need to tear the rest of my hair out changing for changes sake. It aint broke.............
Win 7 is a perfectly good replacement for XP. Even my wife uses it, and I've not even been able to persuade her to use more than on finger on a mouse in nearly 20 years of computering.

The problem is that XP is gradually breaking security-wise. PCs used for industrial diagnostics, etc, are not usually used for general web-surfing (and if the users care about their jobs they'll try and keep them away from open connections) or are only used behind the company firewalls. It's not good but it's a bit safer than domestic machines which get exposed to all sorts of internet thuggery.

[Oh yes. I use Thunderbird too, though I'm not hugely fond of it. Unfortunately I haven't found another better free offering ... yet.]

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 12:07:06 pm »

I prefer XP, but as i do a lot of internet work and cad work the risk is getting worse, so am about to convert to win7 ultimate on a fresh hard drive, hopefully all the old software will be compatible and usable, most of my work with outlook type messaging is internet based, the company uses outlook for all its emails on vista so no problem there, when I change over this pc - outlook will not be available as part of the package unless office has it. home emails are usually on bt's site or orange or msn outlook (additional work email). 
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 08:57:40 pm »

I prefer XP, but as i do a lot of internet work and cad work the risk is getting worse, so am about to convert to win7 ultimate on a fresh hard drive, hopefully all the old software will be compatible and usable, most of my work with outlook type messaging is internet based, the company uses outlook for all its emails on vista so no problem there, when I change over this pc - outlook will not be available as part of the package unless office has it. home emails are usually on bt's site or orange or msn outlook (additional work email).

Mine didn't and when I read up on it, it couldn't, which is one of the reasons I switched back to XP Pro.
It was like you are being forced to change all your software to suit 7, not like in the past when the operating system was compatible with and still ran older software versions.
Also, it continuously checked for updates on start up and shutdown and downloaded them, I couldn't do it later or defer the downloads, like at present, I select (on gurus advice) when and if to accept "updates", some have been known to cause issues.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 12:31:50 am »

Also, it continuously checked for updates on start up and shutdown and downloaded them, I couldn't do it later or defer the downloads,
That is the default (MS recommended) behaviour, but it can be changed in the Control Panel, because as you say it can be a royal pain. I generally use the 'Download but let me choose whether to load' option.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 04:17:15 am »

That is the default (MS recommended) behaviour, but it can be changed in the Control Panel, because as you say it can be a royal pain. I generally use the 'Download but let me choose whether to load' option.

XP allows me to download if and when I choose and then to also load if and when I so choose.

Not to mention that home edition version was not recommended

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 11:39:41 am »

Well going to be off line for a while (what do ya mean yipee  :D ), doing the switch to win7, apparently its like vista and that has the download updates facility - which allows you to select which to download and hide some (though from experience this hiding bit does not always work - the little b****rs still keep popping up every so often as "its what Microtheft wants" - oh was that a dig.

In my opinion software is now becoming - not what you bought and therefore it is yours, to now you have bought it, its still ours and we require you to do this and that to keep it, like adobe, if it was a superb set of programs, why do they need to keep updating it as with MS software and any others now out there, now they want to move to cloud based software, ie pay as you go, anything to get more money off the masses, its like antivirus software, constantly checking, constantly updating, I mean if it was alright when you shut it off the night before, why is it not alright now, I mean it been checking what you have been downloading and opening and running in the last session, if it is that important to protect the OS, why is it that a new form of easy to connect hardware, solid state, impossible to write to (like locked USB chips), OS on a stick, ie you fit this in any pc and the OS cannot be corrupted, added to, updated, messed with etc, therefore any chance they would of being able to sell it means that it had to be perfect in the first place - meaning everything would have to work behind a firewall of some description that allows you to communicate but does not allow hackers / viruses to get in.

Too much?  %)  sorry for the rant.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2014, 12:16:26 pm »

I have found that any new install of any version of windows has always wanted to do several sets of updates, but the option is always there to control its behaviour.  It does calm down after a while.  Probably something to do with MS ensuring that you have a "legal" copy.
For a home user, the "pro" versions don't really offer anything worthwhile for the extra cost, apart from needing a professional to set up the networking.  It probably gives the seller an easier (if they don't have to remember the differences) and more profitable ride as well.
Most of my programs transferred OK in the move away from XP, the annoying casualties were my elderly Visioneer desktop (which was brilliant), but that was win3.1 vintage, and my scanner, that didn't have drivers for newer systems.  Some older programs did need an update anyway, and there are programs out there that either don't recognize newer windows versions, or windows looks at them and decides that it can't load them, compatibility mode or not.
As for adobe updates, I read my .pdfs using Foxit.  And as for the "cloud" - anybody who uses that as their main data store deserves everything thats coming when they forget to pay a bill.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2014, 04:07:19 pm »

XP allows me to download if and when I choose and then to also load if and when I so choose.

This is the Control Panel window for Update settings in Win7, with the 'main' choice selection dropped down:

There are options to cover most people's personal levels of paranoia  ok2

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2014, 09:17:13 pm »

Guys....I found the OS migration on a replacement machine from winXP to win7 a very pleasant & painless journey

Granted the were a few drivers that were not available eg., for my 15 year old HP4L mono laser printer........

These days you can get a 2MB external drive for $100.00.......& with some simple software perform a file back up on any scheduled frequency

I tend to agree with Malcolm.......just stay away from the clouds  >>:-(......... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

NoNuFink

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 12:04:19 am »

and buy a new printer??  >>:-(
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 23 queries.