Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: looking to buy a bandsaw  (Read 4454 times)

spike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
looking to buy a bandsaw
« on: February 19, 2014, 08:42:45 pm »

has any one got this bandsaws and if yes which is bested charnwood w711 or scheppach hbs 20 or one about the same price

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
Re: looking to buy a bandsaw
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 12:41:46 am »

hey. Sorry don't know much about either bandsaw. Just noticed you are just down the road from me. I am in newmarket. Reguarly down littleport most weekends working with me dad.
If it ain't broke! Fix it anyway!

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 08:42:26 am »

I recently bought one of these:

...on advice from folks on a canoe building forum.  Mind you, I wanted it to cut "real" boat parts.  If you're only wanting model stuff then the smaller one you're looking at may be fine.

What I was told was that almost any saw will do okay; it's the blade that matters.  The Axminster ones come with one of their own blades which are considered good.  The general advice was to buy a saw AND a new, quality blade to go with it.

The one I chose has a few good features:  roller blade guides, a brush to clean the blade, a solid cabinet to stand on, more powerful that some motor.

Whatever, bandsaws are FANTASTIC!  :-))

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 09:39:34 am »

has any one got this bandsaws and if yes which is bested charnwood w711 or scheppach hbs 20 or one about the same price
I've watched both the videos for the 2 bandsaws and functionally they seem pretty much of a muchness.  Of the 2 I personally would go with the Charnwood for 2 reasons, firstly,  the Charnwood has a cast metal table as opposed to a pressed steel table on the Scheppach.  The stiffness of cast gives a feel of quality and allows a mitre gauge slot which the Scheppach doesn't have.  Secondly, the Charnwood has the roller back guide which is the only way to go on a bandsaw.
On the down side they both have induction motors, of which I'm not a big fan. 
Most of the reviews say the supplied blades are poor so get a quality blade (Record, Startrite or Starrett).  I usually get mine from this place.
http://www.technologysupplies.co.uk/
HTH
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 10:26:07 am »

Just as an aside, the Burgess bandsaws are made from "Cast metal" and waft about like the proverbial in a thunderstorm in heavy wood cuts. That has slots for fences as well  %) .

Scheppach is/was a well respected brand.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 12:12:01 pm »

If memory serves Burgess bandsaw tables were cast aluminium which wasn't terribly thick. They also were megre with the fixings too. The Charnwood saw table is cast iron. 
I'd never heard of Charnwood or Scheppech, but to be honest I've only ever worked with Startrites.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 01:04:37 pm »

Thoroughly endorse the views that a bandsaw is a great tool to have, and that a good blade makes all the difference. Get the largest saw you can afford and accommodate.  You can do small, fine work on a a large one, but you can't .... well, you know  O0

As well as a good blade take some time to tune your saw.  There's plenty of advice on this on the web.  You should be able to slice consistent 1mm veneers off a piece of wood with a properly set machine.  (Sorry, can't help with the Charnwood Sheppach choice as I don't have experience of either brand.)

Greg

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 04:13:54 pm »

hi I have a proxxon nice little saw

spike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 08:23:32 pm »

thanks all for help just got a secondhand one today a charnwood w711 with a cast iron table for £ 40 and a bench drill of a £5.00 so very happy just got to fit it all in my 8 x 6 shed :-) :-)

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 11:59:27 am »

thanks all for help just got a secondhand one today a charnwood w711 with a cast iron table for £ 40 and a bench drill of a £5.00 so very happy just got to fit it all in my 8 x 6 shed :-) :-)
Bargain buy there! Happy sawing!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.