Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: esc cut out  (Read 2341 times)

leewest322

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
esc cut out
« on: February 20, 2014, 12:16:37 am »

Hi all. I was wondering if anybody could help me with my esc cut out problem?

Everything runs fine when just using the motor but when I use the steering servo as well the esc beeps and cuts out. I tried an older servo I have and it dose the same unless u steer very very gently.  Im using a 3 cell 60c  5000mah lipo, 100 amp Hawk brushless esc and a 600kv 5055 brushless motor.

Any help what so ever would be great  :-)    thanks

nick_75au

• Full Mayhemer
    • Logan City Marine Modellers
Re: esc cut out
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 05:30:15 am »

A quick search reveals the Hawk may be an OPTO unit which means it should not able to supply power to the receiver and servos, why it is is a mystery {:-{

Try using a separate receiver pack, 4.8 volt, and removing the red wire to the ESCs servo plug, It sounds like the ESC's BEC is too small or may have failed. the servo when it moves pulls the voltage low causing the brain of the ESC to shut down. If this works you can buy a Ubec or Sbec to power your servo off the main battery.
 :-)

Nick

leewest322

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 04:41:21 pm »

Hi nick thanks for your reply! I think I understand what u explained  O0    im guna get a separate battery for the receiver and go from there. I will let u know how I get on  :-))     thanks again     lee

nick_75au

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 04:49:35 am »

If the ESC does not work with the red wire removed then replace it, some of those opto ESC,s need receiver power, forgot to mention that :embarrassed:

inertia

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 08:55:38 am »

I think there may be more to this than meets the eye. If the speed controller works in the absence of a rudder servo and a separate Rx pack then clearly the thing does have BEC. I'm not familiar with the type of servo used - is it a digital type? That said, all ESC BEC regulators should be able to put out 1 amp, which ought to be more than enough for a standard servo. Are you happy that the mechanical link to the rudder is free-moving and that the rudder isn't putting a large strain on the servo? Try it without the servo output disc physically connected to anything.
You may need to have a separate power pack just for the rudder servo.
DM

leewest322

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 07:59:43 pm »

the rudder servo isn't connected to the rudder yet so shouldn't be any strain on it. just been reading through the spec of my esc and it appears that it has no BEC. will any BEC be suitable? also how would I need to wire that up?  thanks  :-))

inertia

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 08:54:14 pm »

This is an annoying unit with instructions which contradict themselves. The table on Page 3 clearly states that the unit has NONE under the BEC column heading, yet the photo on Page 4 of the set-up shows no separate receiver pack - which implies that it does have BEC, or something very similar in function. I did find reference to a cut-off voltage setting, though (Page 8/9). This involves using the "optional programmer". If the voltage is set too low for your drive battery then as soon as you put it under load the battery voltage will drop below the ESC drop-out setting and guess what?
The saving grace is that this is a British unit so I would advise contacting Fusion and asking them to explain to you how to sort it out. It must be galling to find out, having spent well in excess of a hundred quid for the thing, that you may need an "optional" programmer to get it to work.
DM

nick_75au

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 10:38:36 am »

You can either use a BEC or a seperate 4.8-6 volt receiver pack to power the receiver

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__767__766__SBEC_UBEC_Regulator-SBEC_UBEC.html

This is the sort of thing you need, allows you to eliminate the separate pack and power the receiver, ESC and servos from the main pack, ensure you get one that has an input voltage compatible with your battery, most will be fine with your 3 cell battery.

DM, i believe those instructions might be in Chinglish......... A lot of ESC's come with generic instructions that cover all the range, as you say
l  annoying unit with instructions which contradict themselves

annoying unit with instructions which contradict themselves

Edit
Martin can you please tell me why the forum adds extra size parameters to what was supposed to be a simple copy and paste quote

Nick
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 23 queries.