Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brushless advice needed  (Read 1735 times)

pete-c

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Brushless advice needed
« on: February 20, 2014, 08:56:40 pm »

Hi

I have just started building a small cabin cruiser 15ins long from plans, they recommend the Mabuchi RE-280 motor. I would like to replace it with a brushless motor. Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement. I have experience in model aircraft but this is my first boat.

Regards
Pete

Stavros

Re: Brushless advice needed
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 10:20:10 pm »

Welcome ot the madhouse Pete !!!!!

Regarding your brushless request right then I will stand corrected on this but my way of thinking is as follows.A 280 motor on 12v will rev to around 9000 rpm so I would have said any brushless motor of a similar dimentions.in other words what you need is a brshless motor that will give you 9000rpm.Now I see you have experience of planes so I presume you know about rpm/volt......so something possibly like this would do the job

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__5143__Turnigy_28_22_CQ_1400Kv_Brushless_Outrunner.html

ok far comment if it was run on 12v it would rev at around 16800 wich is far to much BUT if it was run at 7.2v it would be 10080 ok a 1000 rpm to much but of course you have a throttle stick to control your speed.

Other far more knowlagable will come on and advise you far better than I but it is a start

Dave

nick_75au

• Full Mayhemer
    • Logan City Marine Modellers
Re: Brushless advice needed
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 04:48:01 am »

As long as the motor is rated at around 30 watts then for the size prop you would normally put on a 280, (25-30 mm I guess) this will be a surprisingly small motor, Anything with a higher watt rating is fine, it will only draw as much as the prop demands.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8622

I've got a couple of these in a current build, an old Sea Star motor yacht with 10 amp ESCs has still too many RPM on 6 volt, but the props are high pitch racing props that needs to be replaced. for a 15 inch cruiser on a 2 cell Li-po would be a nice motor.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.