Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suitable varnish  (Read 2049 times)

Andy P

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Suitable varnish
« on: January 28, 2014, 02:40:29 pm »

Hi, can anyone suggest a suitable varnish for the deck and veneered cabin for a model yacht. The deck is obechi planks with black card caulking and I think the veneer for the cabin is teak. The varnish will need to be fully waterproof as I will be sailing the yacht. Also I would prefer something that will not discolour or flake with age as parts of the cabin would be difficult to redo after assembly. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Stavros

Re: Suitable varnish
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 07:44:35 pm »

tonkinois.............nice deep shine and fully waterproof

Dave

Ian K

• Full Mayhemer
  • In the workshop, going daft but happy!!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 10:16:39 pm »

Hi Andy,

I would use Epifanes U/V gloss varnish. We use it on all our full sized wooden racing yachts that we restore.
Not cheap by any means, but the most durable, deepest gloss single pack varnish there is on the market.

If you are going direct onto new untreated timber, it needs thinning down, approx 50 percent with epifanes brush thinners for the first coat. Following coats should be thinned slightly less, as a rule I normally add 20 percent, for the second and third ones, then 10 for the remaining coats.
To get the best results apply around 8 coats, lightly hand sanding with 320 grade abrasive between the final coats.
Apply it in a warm dust free area, it is slow drying, apply 1 coat by quality brush, allow 1 day to dry, lightly sand, remove dust, apply following coat and repeat sequence, allowing 1 drying day between each coat

Regards

Ian

wee speug

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 11:06:06 pm »

Danish  Oil...i used it to treat my American Cedar worktops...in my kitchen...that was 14 months ago..and they are still impervious to water, and a reasonable amount of heat....and they still have that nice satin finish,it also works well on elm, sycamore and beech....
Come, and I will show you,where the Iron Crosses grow
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.