Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thames Coastal Barge  (Read 7309 times)

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
Re: Thames Coastal Barge
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2014, 08:16:41 am »

Hi Jon
Will get you some pics as soon as a waterproof camera is not required ! I presume you sail at Southsea ? I have never been there yet as I joined the Gosport MBC, which is closer to me.
I have just checked PJSails online catalogue and it mentioned carbon tube for A boat fin at £15, but its probably more now as the list is 2011. It should do the trick, depending on what has been done on the hull before.
Cheers

Mike

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2014, 01:07:49 pm »

Hi John and jon (!)
Found these old pics and managed eventually to fit them here !
The fin is the original one with 3 piano wire attachments which proved far too finicky to line up when holding the weight of the fin, boat and wind thrown in ! As mentioned I took a saw to the whole thing and now have a normal fin design and the PJSails carbon fibre tube system.
If anyone wants pics on the PJ thing let me know. The rudder extension is a bit of perspex, held on by the home (poorly)made bracket and kept in line with a couple of brass pins glued into the perspex and pilot holes in the rudder bottom. The rudder itself is overscale already as I realised when building that the scaled down rudder would not be big enough, so I sketched a larger design on to the plan until I reached what I thought was still ok to the eye. In the first strong blow when she ploughed on straight towards the concrete with the rudder hard over and nothing happening - helped no doubt by that big fin- I decided an extension was the answer. I designed it to be removed so she could stand on her bottom, but as it is carried in the car on her side and lives on a folding cradle, it never gets removed.

Regards to all

Mike

PS do you still want the all up weight of the fin/lead jon ?

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2014, 06:32:31 pm »

hi mike , yes i sail at southsea with the portsmouth model yacht racing club on a saturday morning ( plus wednesday eves in the summer )  yes if you can give me a rough idea of the bulb weight and how far its hanging under the hull it would be useful please

georgo

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2014, 10:43:23 pm »

:-)) looks well a credit to you!!...., just purchaced annie  form Brightling sea model boat club member....hope to refurbuish her, starting with mast & replacing  plastic sails.....

regards George
Hi John and jon (!)
Found these old pics and managed eventually to fit them here !
The fin is the original one with 3 piano wire attachments which proved far too finicky to line up when holding the weight of the fin, boat and wind thrown in ! As mentioned I took a saw to the whole thing and now have a normal fin design and the PJSails carbon fibre tube system.
If anyone wants pics on the PJ thing let me know. The rudder extension is a bit of perspex, held on by the home (poorly)made bracket and kept in line with a couple of brass pins glued into the perspex and pilot holes in the rudder bottom. The rudder itself is overscale already as I realised when building that the scaled down rudder would not be big enough, so I sketched a larger design on to the plan until I reached what I thought was still ok to the eye. In the first strong blow when she ploughed on straight towards the concrete with the rudder hard over and nothing happening - helped no doubt by that big fin- I decided an extension was the answer. I designed it to be removed so she could stand on her bottom, but as it is carried in the car on her side and lives on a folding cradle, it never gets removed.

Regards to all

Mike

PS do you still want the all up weight of the fin/lead jon ?

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2014, 07:34:56 am »

hi mike , progress this end has been a little slow again , although ive managed to seal the inner hull , paint the outer hull and glue the deck to the frames , next task is the comings around the hatches and the sheet guides . how far out do the sails move from the centre line ?

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2014, 09:13:09 am »

Hi Jon, glad to hear that you have managed to make some use of the wet weather anyway. Sitting here in my dressing gown with a mug of tea I cannot really give you an accurate measurement of the sail travel ! Suffice it to say that they don't travel out as far as, say a racing yacht on a run. On the loose footed main it doesn't get beyond a broad reach. I only have the main and mizzen sails on the winch and found that having the main sheet travel through the multi block system and the mizzen on a single purchase ie the sheeting line comes up through the deck, travels up to the mizzen boom single block and back to secure to the deck - gives a workable ratio between the two. If anything the mizzen travels a little farther for the same winch rotation but this is an advantage when running as it sets the mizzen out at a better angle. In practice you will probably find that she will quite happily trundle around with only occasional tweaks on the winch. The fore and jib sails are on fixed sheets and look after themselves with the outer jib giving a fine signal when you are pinching the wind too far !
As far as the sheeting leads, I have the main sheeting coming up on the centreline just below the main horse and the mizzen also on the centreline inside the stern. Also the two tackles to the boom head (A bit early in the morning for memory - is it the vangs ?)are also led to the winch with a similar single purchase set up so that both either are heaving or paying ot simultaneously. This gives the upper part of the mainsail a better shape on different sail angles. Sounds more complicated than it is !

Mike

PS To georgo, thanks for the compliment but I think you will find far better models than mine if you search around ! Have you found the website for the Model sailing barge association yet ? There will be more help on your restoration there, possibly. Looking forward to some pics of your progress

Damn now the bloomin' tea has gone cold !
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.