Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: whats everyone been doing?????  (Read 11536 times)

black magic racing

• Full Mayhemer
  • when winning is all . it stops being a hobby
whats everyone been doing?????
« on: February 22, 2014, 07:22:50 pm »

Well,with race season about to start next month,and the cold winter nights have slowly gone by,what has every one been doing to keep themselves warm in the shed/workshop/back bedroom %% clean replies only....everybody seems to be abit hush hush on their builds this year ;) STRATOS seems to be the in word for this season.should be interesting to see how many turn up along with tiger king engines O0
me? im still thinking out of the box as always still not sure what to race but will figure it out %% %% {-) {-)
Happy racing
kurt and sha
FAST is never FAST enough
Black Magic Racing with BMPRS    Telford Model Boat Club
Birkenhead Model Power Boat club Vice Commodore

bigtee

• Shipmate
  • BTR PACER
    • http://www.bigteeracing.com/
Re: whats everyone been doing?????
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 08:37:42 am »

morning kurt

too much working for me this winter :(( :(( :(( not on boats  >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( , kepted warm driving arround the M25 at silly o clock  <:( <:( <:(

cheers tony
race it like you stole it ................
Big Tee E 58   D 46
www.bigteeracing.com

Den W

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 09:57:42 am »

Hi Kurt - Tony  I will be using the John Smith Stealth this year with probably a Zen 29+a bit!!!  done by the WIZARD ,hope to see you at Reading,cheers for now
1 Small Part of  "OMRA,s" Great Team

tmbc

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.tmbc.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 10:20:09 am »

ha ha ha kurts hidden all his in his back bedroom !  :}

well thinking of

A class challenger with asp46
B class challenger with 67 hydro !
C class   lol no thank you
d class   hmmm   a sigma or the other sigma  %) stratos  or apache or the other apache or the phantom or scud or riptide or a battleship ! :-)) :-)) :-))   
cat 1     my little sprint cat with 67 if it would do 10 mins !  {-)
cat 2     looking like the trusty avenger might treat it to a new engine !

but no plans as yet ! 

BMPRS  Health and Safety Co-Ordinator

black magic racing

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 10:28:22 am »

hi tony,den, well at least one of us has been busy then, {-) tony you need to take some time out mate and chill in the garage  O0
hope it all goes well this year for you both.everything seems abit hush hush  :-X :-X :-X maybe peeps dont want to let the cat out of the bag too soon O0
happy days ahead
kurt and sha
ps tmbc only time will tell lol.but judging by what youve put youve got some building to do  {-) {-) {-) {-) that poor sigma will have to be taken apart again for you to build another boat %% %%  im surprised you have time to be on here,,,,,,,,,GET BUILDING >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( one good thing at least you can find some of it now {-) {-) {-) %% %% %% %%

bigtee

• Shipmate
  • BTR PACER
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 11:57:43 am »

hi kurt

will be running the trusty PPB cat with you bouys this year  :-)) :-)) :-)) , have nothing to let out of the bag  :(( :(( :(( :((

will have to see what  i can get sorted for the other racing , maybe just watch some this year   <:( <:( <:( <:( <:(

cheers tony
Big Tee E 58   D 46
www.bigteeracing.com

tmbc

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.tmbc.org.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 12:01:09 pm »

be good to see you ! you just doing nottingham or trying one of the others ? :-)) :-))

hi kurt

will be running the trusty PPB cat with you bouys this year  :-)) :-)) :-)) , have nothing to let out of the bag  :(( :(( :(( :((

will have to see what  i can get sorted for the other racing , maybe just watch some this year   <:( <:( <:( <:( <:(

cheers tony

bigtee

• Shipmate
  • BTR PACER
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 12:15:32 pm »

morning mark

taking it one by one , will do nottingham , camping booked  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

really wanted to do telford for a while now , love that place  :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: , good times in both the pre split OMRA and with MPBA but clashes with southampton

will have to see  ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2

other than that will have to see what gets done boat wise for me and work wise

cheers tony
Big Tee E 58   D 46
www.bigteeracing.com

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 06:19:44 pm »

Hi folks

Kurt, you've opened a good topic. You mentioned the Stratos and I saw one running with a CMB90 today and it looked impressive and a capable handler in windy conditions. Although I don't think you have yet mentioned what you will be running this season, I always like your turn outs as they are always fast and exciting :-))

Mark, I reckon you need to be moving your bed into your garage with all of those boats to sort out O0

Tony, any chance of uploading a photo in this thread of your PPB Cat?

For my part I will be sticking with my A-Class SC46 crusader which I realise is a bit boring compared to the boats we are talking about :((

Cheers
Craig :-))

Forget all insults, always remember compliments.

black magic racing

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 06:30:44 pm »

Sha will be running her cavalier again with a smaller engine which has proved to be reliable but not as fast,i will do A class again with the cougar running a new thunder tiger 46 as for the other races  :-X :-X {-) {-) {-)

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 07:40:17 pm »

Hi Kurt

I reckon Sha will do well with her cavalier. And as we know that reliability factor counts for so much.

I will be fascinated to see your thunder tiger 46. I have been looking/considering using one of those for ages. However can you buy the marine version with a supplied flywheel as opposed to the clutch system that they seem to be advertised with?

Craig

black magic racing

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 12:27:58 am »

hi graig
my thunder tiger 46 was a ebay bargain,£12 bench run only but it was a plane engine,which i had converted.ran it for the first time last week and it went ok,
im sure sha will just plod on as always but shes now got a challenger 32 with a go 28 that we tested today that went really well,abit to well  %% {-) plus later this year im builder her another cavalier for A class maybe
not sure how many races we are doing this year,not all of them as we have other commitments but we are looking forward to seeing the new boats that are going to be racing.
all the best
kurt and sha

tmbc

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.tmbc.org.uk
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 05:01:20 pm »

Sha will be running her cavalier again with a smaller engine which has proved to be reliable but not as fast,i will do A class again with the cougar running a new thunder tiger 46 as for the other races  :-X :-X {-) {-) {-)

skipping round his answer as usual !  O0 O0 like to know what everyone else is doing but keeping  :-X :-X :-X on himself come on what you been upto  ;D ;D

black magic racing

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 05:10:24 pm »

same as you really tmbc,not alot {-) {-) got a few things in the pipe line but not nothing for deffo yet :} not sure how the season will pan out with certain people and certain boats,could be a very interesting start to this seasons racing %% %% {-) {-) {-)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 05:27:59 pm »

The clutch on my cavalier gave up the ghost
half way across the Humber.
Just made it past the halfway point
so I coasted down to the toll booths
 :D :D :D :D :D

Ned

Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

bj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 04:13:17 am »

my thunder tiger 46 was a ebay bargain,£12 bench run only but it was a plane engine,which i had converted

LEO 46 marine head from Just Engines will fit Thunder Tiger 46 aircraft along with the Leo 46 flywheel and split collet. Just Engines still have (or had recently) Leo spares.

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 07:53:07 pm »

Hi folks

It has been said that some people have been a little quiet in respect of revealing their potential new boats for this season :} We know they are out there don't we? :-) So I think it is time for me to reveal at least one new boat currently being tested for this season. I think we need photos and a vid clip so I have included both below:

>
>
>
>

The new boat here is my brother Garry's new Mercury Cat. For the first time in a long time he took some time fitting this out instead of his usual rush job. I think it will pay him dividends.

Unlike his 2013 Cat, this even without trim adjustments has lift that was much lacking previously:

Here is a short you tube clip from today (a very murky foggy day) with the engine set very rich for the run in period. I suspect that once this engine is run in and leaned out, he might have to work hard to fine tune the hull settings for stability. What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy4nLjlF5KE

Okay so this is one new boat revealed. If you have a new boat for 2014, please don't be hesitant in sharing a few photos within this thread O0

Cheers
Craig :-))

black magic racing

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 08:19:37 pm »

Very nice indeed  :-)) :-)) :-)) now having seen that i better get something sorted  %% %% that is really going to be a fast cat once run in and it looks stable,have you tried it full throttle cornering yet?i will be running my conquest from last year but havent decided on engine choice yet,not sure we will make first race as havent really tested anything and as always im leaving everything till the last minute %% %%
all the best
kurt and sha

Brigadair

• Full Mayhemer
  • Race to enjoy; winning is a bonus!
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 11:12:01 pm »

Hi Kurt

Hope you and your good lady are well and a belated happy new year to you Sha, and the lovely dog, and boats!

Enough of that!

Mercury cat should be a nice boat. Not run it at full speed into the turns, I scared to!!!!!

Just run it through 700cc's of fuel today, to run it in a bit on very rich needle settings and a 470 prop. Will up the prop load next run, and experiment a lot more on trim, strut angle rudder throw, and fuel location, need to think about dual bags etc.

Boat handles much better than I had expected. Am used to running the Navicraft cat which ran very wet and veered unexpectedly in all sorts of directions.

Much more testing soon!

Best regards

Garry and Carol

Best regards
Garry Dickson (BMPRS Committee member and Webmaster)

ids987

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 08:35:17 am »

Looking good Garry. Just make sure it balances in the same place after you add the armour plating !!

Ian

black magic racing

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2014, 04:10:23 pm »

hi gary,
where are you running the tank? in the right hand side?be carefull not to go to big on the prop causing toque roll.the beauty with cats is they dont need big props mate,
you need to throw it into a corner and see what she does,it should go around at full speed,do be scared  {-) {-) iv just finished my d boat im going to be racing a scud ,not bad for a boat thats almost 40 years old {-)
keep us all up to date with how you get on mate,any question just ask
all the best
kurt and sha

F1 madness

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2014, 06:20:17 pm »

{-) {-) iv just finished my d boat im going to be racing a scud ,not bad for a boat thats almost 40 years old {-)
keep us all up to date with how you get on mate,any question just ask
all the best
kurt and sha

Posting these for Mr Cave  :-))

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 11:34:55 am »

Tell Kurt his hatch isnt big enough  %% .
Craig Garry needs to ditch that wrap to centre header and swap it for a 105,it will achieve the same exit on the cowl but he may or may not need to mod his cowl,that header will never allow propper tuning as theyre tuned length is too long.
Mart
ps the Mercury is a fast cat in a straight line but likes to hook in the turns it might take some setting up to get right but its a decent cat.try a 6717/3 prop,is he using a skegged strut ?.

black magic racing

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 04:45:52 pm »

hi mart,yh its abit tight in there {-) {-) but seriously it sure makes things easy,no trouble working on it,i love these old boats they corner like nothing else out there :-))  talking about hatches i had to have the loft hatch made bigger so i could get my boats up there :embarrassed: :embarrassed:
kurt and sha

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2014, 06:22:46 pm »

Tell Kurt his hatch isnt big enough  %% .
Craig Garry needs to ditch that wrap to centre header and swap it for a 105,it will achieve the same exit on the cowl but he may or may not need to mod his cowl,that header will never allow propper tuning as theyre tuned length is too long.
Mart
ps the Mercury is a fast cat in a straight line but likes to hook in the turns it might take some setting up to get right but its a decent cat.try a 6717/3 prop,is he using a skegged strut ?.

Hi Mart

I must admit I love boats with decent access to all the fittings. As Kurt said it makes things so much easier.

In respect of the Mercury Garry did originally intend to not have to use the WTC header. However he found that the cowl would require massive amounts removing in effect ruining it and the look of the boat. I agree it is a shame though as the true potential of that tuned engine can never be fulfilled with the pipe length being too long.

His strut did was the plain type with no lower skeg. Does a skegged strut give handling advantages on a cat such as this? Or does it make it too sensitive in turns?

Craig
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 22 queries.