Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LANCASTRIA  (Read 4579 times)

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
LANCASTRIA
« on: February 24, 2014, 11:22:50 am »

Hello somebody can tell me where to find the plan of the LANCASTRIA?
Liner of CUNARD LINES of 168 meters builds in 1922 in construction sites(works) W .BREADMORE in GLASGOW.
The liner in summer attacked by the Germans and poured le
17 in JUNE, 1940 into the estuary from the LOIRE to FRANCE.

In FRANCE documents are "Top secret" until 2040   %) %) %)

Thank you

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: LANCASTRIA
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 12:31:08 pm »

Don't forget she wasn't called the Lancastria when she was built.  Her original name was Tyrrhenia but Cunard decided that it was too difficult to pronounce so they changed the name to Lancastria.  Also, in searches remember she was a Royal Mail Ship (RMS) and not Steam Ship (SS)  When she was sunk she had been commandeered so she was His Majesty's Transport  (HMT).
Try contacting the "Clydebuilt Database"  http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=4599 They may have Breadmore's original records or at least know where to look.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 12:59:14 pm »

Thank you very much TailUK for this information.
It would be top secret from both directions ............

best regards

Jean-Pierre

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 01:54:23 pm »

Have a look at http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20L/slides/ for a few pics of Lancastria.  Pics are alphabetical order.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

bill jardine

• Full Mayhemer
  • More steam, MacPhail!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 04:41:15 pm »

Just to clarify, the builder was Beardmore, not Breadmore.

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 05:38:13 pm »

:(( Just out of interest my father was on the Lancastria when she went down bombed by planes,he spent 8 hours in the water quite badly wounded but survived hence I am here today, a lot men were not so lucky as it was a bad time of the war it was hushed up I think about 6,000 men died that day,my father never quite got over his wounds and died while still a young man I always say a prayer on June 17th each year for all on that ship that day,Ray. :((   
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 05:58:34 pm »

The perceived wisdom is that Churchill ordered the sinking "hushed up" as it was so soon after Dunkirk. (2 Weeks).  No explanation is has been given as to why the wreck site has not been designated as a war grave or documents have not been released even in the face of the Freedom of Information Act.  To it's credit the French Government has established an exclusion zone around the wreck to prevent divers approaching.  While not kept "top secret" there is a lot that could still be explained about this tragedy.
Lancastria had a sister ship HMT Cameronia which survived the war despite being torpedoed in the Med. The largest troop ship to take part in Overlord

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 08:10:25 pm »

Before this enquiry goes off at to much of a tangent and disappears into irrelevance.  The records of Wm Beardmore are held at the University of Glasgow archives though there is no mention of any drawings.
 http://cheshire.cent.gla.ac.uk/ead/search?operation=search&fieldidx1=bath.corporateName&fieldrel1=exact&fieldcont1=william%20beardmore%20%26%20co
 http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archon/searches/locresult_details.asp?LR=248

That would be my first stop in a search, if any do exist they will probably point you in the right direction. In addition I have a feeling that I have seen some at Liverpool Maritime Museum though I'm far from certain. http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/maritime/index.aspx

LB

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 10:44:19 pm »

Up until very recently (2008), ships that were considered UK or Commonwealth war graves under the Protection of Military Remains Act 1986 were all warships.

wingaard

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 07:01:30 pm »

Unfortunately there are no known surviving architects plans or drawings of the RMS Lancastria (ex Tyrrhenia) held in the Cunard archives. There are some photos available from Glasgow University, who are custodian for the William Beardmore Yard records, but not very many.
If you are making a model of the vessel then the best representation in existence is the excellent scale model held at Southhamptopn Maritime Museum. There are other models about and I have seen some, but this looks to be the original ship-builders model.

What plans are you after? I have an original White Star passenger deck layout ,but it is really on a 'tourists' map of the ship.
I myself am making a 1:200 model of the vessel in it's RMS livery and have built up a large collection of photographs for reference and deck scale, so let me know if I can help you here.

Alex.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 07:21:20 pm »

Southampton Maritime Museum possess a cutaway model of Lancastria. It used to be on general display but it is presumably now in storage since the Museum was moved a few years back. I took some photos before the move.

Colin

wingaard

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 11:44:54 am »

Thanks Colin,
Yes, this is probably the best model that I know in existence. One other at St. Katherine's church, Leadenhall (see pics) and one in Golden Jubilee Hospital, Clydebank. I believe there's another one in France somewhere. The viewing bridge on the stern looks to be a later addition, possibly for cruising duties. I am building up the best visual records that is now possible of her, so if anyone is interested please get in touch.
Thanks
Alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.