Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Graham - returning model boater  (Read 6271 times)

ids987

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Graham - returning model boater
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2014, 10:33:03 am »

Hi Graham, air cooled car engines are fairly common in riggers - where the fins can get direct, cold air, and also speeds (or expected speeds) are significantly higher.
I don't think you'd be able to get enough cold air across the fins - in the types of boat we run, but I don't know of anyone who's actually tried it.
Marine conversions of car engines are often pretty straightforward. For engines which have a marine equivalent, it's usually as simple as taking off the car type finned heat sink head (which more often than not sits on the head button itself, and replacing it with the marine water chamber / cooling ring. These often transfer from one engine to another, because many engines have the same head bolt patterns - especially those with four head bolts. It's also within the capabilities of a well equipped home workshop (large enough lathe, or a mill plus workpiece rotating fixture), to make one.
Be careful with your choice of bobbin type couplings. A lot of them have ali end pieces....

Ian

black magic racing

• Full Mayhemer
  • when winning is all . it stops being a hobby
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2014, 01:21:14 pm »

hi graham i run air cooled buggy engine in my small rigger but have also converted a few to run water cooled heads,got a mate who does the conversions and has done at least 6 for me so far which all work well :-)) wouldnt like to find out if one could be run in the boat with the standard fins on %%
all the best
kurt and sha
FAST is never FAST enough
Black Magic Racing with BMPRS    Telford Model Boat Club
Birkenhead Model Power Boat club Vice Commodore

Ultraslowflier

• Shipmate
  • Sail to relax... and win!
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2014, 01:36:38 am »

Thanks Gents

Looks like the safest thing is to stay with water cooled for my Cavalier.

Cheers

Graham
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.