Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Mayhem Film Club....  (Read 59410 times)

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Mayhem Film club
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2018, 06:30:40 pm »

Well, they have refurbed a full size U-Boat prop, seen in various other excellent through to U-571, films and television productions, so I don't think they are skimping. Also, the Germans do decent TV these days. I have faith :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2018, 07:04:52 pm »

Yep, there seems to be a Lot of Cash floating around these days for 'non-network' TV.
Netflix, Amazon, Sky, Channel 4, Hulu, HBO, iTunes and now YouTube  all seem to have pots of gold they can tap in to for new series'!    :o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2018, 07:21:51 pm »

This is sacrilege!

Das Boot is perfect in every way - really claustrophobic.

Das ReBoot will be yet another cheaply done flick with tons of cheap CGI to keep the costs down. WHY?

And should only ever be watched in German with Subtitles, the English dubbing is awful.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #103 on: July 04, 2018, 10:11:08 pm »

And should only ever be watched in German with Subtitles, the English dubbing is awful.

Agreed!

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #104 on: July 04, 2018, 10:12:57 pm »

Yep!  .... and a slightly different script!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2018, 12:30:34 am »

Deadpool 2 - best film of the year so far! Hilarious, violent, brilliantly done.

Solo - dreadful - contrived garbage - every thing we could ever piece together about Solo, the Falcon, Chewy, Kessel, Lando etc. all crammed into one big mess. I gave up on it after an hour of trying to watch it. Hoped they would all die in a blaster malfunction incident.

Oh I don't know. We knew the film in what ever form it would take would have to have the
plot that it did. The film didn't need silly squids in space and I was not sold on the train given that the world (theirs not ours!) has antigrav, but that fitted the wild west feel of the Solo character.
A Star Wars fanatic friend of mine was ready to be really really disappointed mainly due to the actor who plays Han, and so I went expecting to be disappointed, but I was satisfied that it put a narrative to the legend that is Han Solo. There are supposed to be sequels to the Solo film and that worries me more as it goes into the world the writers create for his character, but I expect that they will be directly or indirectly relevant to the [reparation for what happens in 'A New Hope'.
Pond weed is your enemy

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2018, 02:09:42 am »

Das Boot is perfect in every way - really claustrophobic.

True, and best watched in a dark quiet room.

Some of the reboots work very well, others don't. The German TV I have watched so far don't Hollywood/glam up what they are doing, and so I have hope for show.

As someone else said, watching in the original language (with subtitles) is always going to be better at capturing the mood.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2018, 12:27:59 pm »

We were watching a bit of Tora, Tora, Tora. last night, the girls were asking why the Americans weren't ready / prepared for an air raid,
what is the term for a Navy vessel, that in all aspects is ready for war but at rest / in a standby state, i.e. not at battle stations?

( Tora, Tora, Tora. what a great film!  Good Historical / Critical review: https://youtu.be/9PfdQod8HTw )

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2018, 04:21:30 pm »

what is the term for a Navy vessel, that in all aspects is ready for war but at rest / in a standby state, i.e. not at battle stations?

A sitting target
Don't Assume Check

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2018, 05:44:18 pm »

laid up
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2018, 05:46:27 pm »

Did they not make another film from the footage not used in Tora Tora?Roy

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2018, 05:55:01 pm »

films watched recently
above us the waves, the way ahead, fortess, dunkirk 2 versions, misfit brigade, last of the dogmen, hell boats, submarine command, the navy way, target for tonight, conflict of wings, the four feathers, forever england, the lost battalion, they raid by night, run silent, run deep, they were not divided, the password id courage, in which we serve......to name a few. most are on you tube, and make a night shift tolerable
full time penguin

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2018, 06:02:42 pm »

hi roy. footage was used in several productions, midway, all this and wwii, pearl (tv series) the final countdown, magnum p i, and from here to eternity (tv series)
full time penguin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2018, 03:35:35 am »

Hi all, just seen Mama Mia 2

I like ABBA music and spent 25 years going to ballroom and Latin dances so I was a sucker for a film with all those reminders of the 70's and 80's.  The film is very good except for the opening sequence, it looked lifted from Legally Blonde and somehow a little forced.  But maybe that is just a personal opinion only.

As soon as 'the oldies' appear Kristina Baranski, Julie Walters Piers Brosnan, Colin Firth and the other father it takes off.  I was not sure what to expect at first and there is no attempt at explanation but the film follows Donna the original Meryl Streep character and her daughter in a parallel plot 20 odd years apart, when you get used to it, it works fine.  There were some new songs by Benny I particularly liked Andante, and he is seen in a very short cameo playing the piano. I enjoyed it and there was a tear in my eye at the end.

I shall be happy to see it again when released on TV, I would give it 8 / 10.

Regards,
 Roy

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2018, 05:46:55 am »

I have recently watched The Saboteurs a Norwegian/BBC collaboration. A different take, and showed some of the realities of the SOE war operations, life in Nazi Norway. Some nice wartime vehicles, and model airplanes.

I have just started watching Generation War, which was made by a German TV company. It is good to see that Germany can now start telling its own narrative of wartime Germany, and the life of soldiers on the Eastern Front. It seems to be a realistic take on things. Reasonable show of vehicles and military hardware. No Hollywood jingoism, romanticism, or sentimentality either.

I don't know why, but I seem to be watching a lot of Scandinavian and N. European TV series at the moment.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: August 10, 2018, 06:36:55 am »

We watched an interesting film the other night, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, 'crikey that's a mouthful' quote from the film....well done and interesting location shoot with a story line we enjoyed. I would recommend it.

As well,  a new release coming out with Gary Oldham and Gerard Butler, Hunter Killer looks rather good, computer technology woorah maybe worth a watch.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2018, 09:40:51 am »

Hi rem2007, I enjoyed that film as well, we saw it at the cinema, enjoyed it.Roy

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #117 on: October 09, 2018, 05:21:47 pm »

Saw The Happytime Murders.
It's live action along with with muppet characters in a crime thriller comedy.
you will NEVER FORGET you saw this movie - it burns itself into your retinas and brain - 10/10 excellent film.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1308728/

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: October 09, 2018, 08:52:32 pm »

The 'Heart of the Sea ' is on Netflix I really enjoyed this despite it's not brilliant reviews but it's better than bake off and has less cannibalism.
badly raised and ill mannered.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2018, 08:19:24 am »

Just seen First Man.
I'm undecided. Technically superb - the special effects will get the conspiracy nuts going.

It concentrates a lot on the personal side - all of his comrades dying around him.

One huge gripe - what is it with always working in the dark? Turn the ------- lights on!!!  >:-o

I can't imagine every US government facility is that strapped for cash that 'mood lighting' is all they can afford.

It's a cheap trick film effect for creating suspense.
It was annoying in the X-Files, it was confusing in Atomic Blonde - and in this it's plain stupid.  %)

It's obviously totally natural to do complex scientific research and testing with just a 20W bulb as your only source of illumination. Grrr.
One recommendation - take earplugs - they overdo the sounds effects massively. It's painful.

g4yvm

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2018, 05:13:29 pm »

Thanks for that. Im looking forward to seeing First Man.

I can second the GLandPPPS...great film and Lily James is both very good at acting and astonishingly beautiful .In fact at one point Tom Courteny tells her so and I did wonder whether that was ad lib.

D

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: October 16, 2018, 05:37:22 pm »

Hi all, just got back from seeing "The Wife".  An excellent film I would score it 8 / 10.
Having thought about the film it will not suit some people, if you enjoy theatre plays and like the action in a small cast, this would be fine in a theatre, then this is for you.  It would not do any harm that you may have been marrried for a long time as well.

The story unfolds as you watch and you are seeing the way the marriage has worked and survived.

Glenn Close is excellent in the roll and I think will receive an accolade for her part.  Johnathon Pryce is very good as her husband.  The pair really do seem married.

The opening of the plot starts with the phone call announcing the award of a Nobel Prize and the timing is set in 1992 plus some flashbacks and Concorde gets in on the act as well. 
But the rest you will want to see for yourself.
Regards Roy

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #122 on: October 22, 2018, 01:33:14 pm »

Just watched Venom.
WoW - this is rubbish! Truly dreadful script, really terrible acting and a few dodgy cgi effects. How did this pos get made?  :o

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: October 22, 2018, 06:42:32 pm »

Hi all just seen First Man, I enjoyed the film on several levels, the light was a little low but they did not dwell on all the stuff everybody has seen dozens of times over.

If Ryan' portrayal of Neil Armstrong is true, then what a guy!
I would say 9 minus out of 10, excellent film lasting 2 hours 20 mins so you get your moneys worth.
Regards Roy

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: October 22, 2018, 10:35:19 pm »

watched Hurricane and First flight, both really good movies. enjoyed both.
But yesterday a Bridge Too Far was on, nothig else to say really!
full time penguin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.