Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Mayhem Film Club....  (Read 59398 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Mayhem Film club
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2017, 09:23:13 pm »

I have only seen the ads for the film on TV and that is enough for me, I won't be going to the theatre to see it. I may be old fashioned but, to me, Poirot is David Suchet or Peter Ustinov. I can't imagine Kenneth Branagh in the role, fine actor though he may be. Others will probably disagree.

Peter.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2017, 05:43:45 am »

Hi Bob, you mention Gravity.  I have only seen it on my son's 3D Tv (65 inch, in Oz) and the picture was stunning, it felt like looking through a hole in the wall.  I agree the sound was a bit muffled. 
As far as home TV goes we had to move into another room last week when the main room was re-decorated.  In this other room I had re-installed our old CRT TV.  Oh my the sound was so good!  I did not need my bionic ears at all.  There just is not enough room for a decent set of speakers in these flat screen TVs.
regards Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2017, 06:17:03 am »

A sound bar is the answer to muffled tv speakers. They come in all shapes and sizes (& prices!)

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2017, 06:29:13 am »

Hi Colin, I agree but the better ones are very expensive, unless you know better?  I would welcome a recommendation, my only condition is that it is controlled from the TV volume control. 
When things are really bad and I want to hear as well as see something on TV I have a 'bluetooth dongle' that goes in the headphones o/p and some noise cancelling headphones which work well as I can listen with the sound on mute.  But they do get hot around the ears after a while and I cannot hear anything else, like a phone ringing.  Both units need charging and the dongle only seems to last a couple of hours.
regards Roy

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2017, 08:52:28 am »

It is the transmission itself that can be muffled I never listen through the TV  and my amp/processor cost  a lot more than most soundbars not to mention the speakers and I can still get problems.Don't forget a  lot of material is in Dolby surround (bar ITV which never uses it even on films)and has to be mixed down/ compressed etc.,  for TV sets.Not saying anything against sound bars. Saves  it being like a telephone exchange at the back of the TV

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2018, 05:14:29 pm »

Hi all, just been to see "Darkest Hour".  I think it deserves all the attention it has had, Gary Oldman is first class as Churchill with Kristen Scott-Thomas as Clemmy.  A really excellent film bringing all the tension and expectation of what will happen even though you already know. The storyline covered May and into June 1940, there were some forgiveable but very moving artifices to move the plot along, I am thinking when he goes "underground", see it and you will know what I mean.
I reckon a score of 9 1/2 out of 10.  It rates alongside Dunkirk and maybe a tad better.  Highly recommended.
Regards Roy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2018, 08:03:16 am »

Hi all, I have just seen Kingsman Golden Circle.  I would score it 3/10.  I watched the first Kingsman film which was light and funny, then the second a bit OTT, but this one is pretty awful and gory as well.
Best left alone.
Roy

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2018, 10:18:05 am »

Hi all, I have just seen Kingsman Golden Circle.  I would score it 3/10.  I watched the first Kingsman film which was light and funny, then the second a bit OTT, but this one is pretty awful and gory as well.
Best left alone.
Roy

I loved the Golden Circle - way better than the first one - Elton John steals the film.

I've just watched The Shape Of Water - very nice little quirky film - Splash for grown-ups.
Downsized - sucked.
Beyond - brilliant sci-fi film - totally surprising twist - very well done.
You, Me & Him - very good - except the fake posh accent from Lucy Punch jars the film every time she opens her mouth.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2018, 12:26:13 am »

Hi Plastic I agree Elton John was an unexpected treat but that did keep the score up a notch for me.
As a general enquiry has anyone seen the series "The man in the High Castle".  It is an American series based on a book by Philip K Dick.  I have the book which I am reading now.
regards to all,
Roy

RST

« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2018, 09:51:00 am »

To be fair, KB wasn't a bad effort at Poirot in the end and the supporting cast were pretty good.  The CGI was pretty darn awful though and for me let a it down as a  "modern" film.  Nevertheless it was obvious at the end "Death on the Nile" is to follow and I'll go see that also to give KB a second shot.

The first Kingsman I thought OK.  I found "Egsy" is a better James Bond than any attempt by Daniel Craig.  I saw SPECTRE a while back -how can anyone make a complete hash of a movie contining Christop Waltz!  Its like they ran out of enthusiasm so just gave up completely and loosely scripted loads of old 007 script lines together: badly.  I really like Daniel Craig as an actor but he's absolutely no 007 for me.

Don't get me started on Gravity.  What complete utter tripe and when I meet Auld Nick at the end I'll be asking for those 2hours back on my life.  How something like that could win anything other than a raspberry amazes me.

I'm not a (story) book reader the past 20 years but I like PK Dick stories and about to start Huxleys "Brave New World".  I hope I can stick through it.  I can read a technical manual cover to cover, but novels I normally can't get past the first 10 pages!  Looking forwards to the re-start of "Electric Dreams" series by PKD this Monday on Channel 4.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2018, 10:33:49 am »

I really like Daniel Craig as an actor but he's absolutely no 007 for me.

Don't get me started on Gravity.  What complete utter tripe and when I meet Auld Nick at the end I'll be asking for those 2hours back on my life.  How something like that could win anything other than a raspberry amazes me.

I'm with you on Daniel Craig as 007 - nothing but a charmless, witless thug. Brosnan was a better Bond and could have coughed out a few more.

Gravity. No. Just awful. CGI maketh not a movie. And that's not even getting into the science fail.

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2018, 02:14:00 pm »

MI5 / 6 operatives ARE charmless witless thugs . . . Craig fit's the part perfectly . . . .cant fault his acting . . . he's made an error by doing another 007 film tho' age is catching up with him very quickly . . .
Just seen BladeRunner 2049 , if the planets going to be like that then , thank god I wont see it . . . what a dark , dismal, poverty stricken place it'll be according to the current crop of writers/ directors . . .
Bill  :-X

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2018, 03:02:28 pm »

Just seen BladeRunner 2049 , if the planets going to be like that then , thank god I wont see it . . . what a dark , dismal, poverty stricken place it'll be according to the current crop of writers/ directors . . .
Bill  :-X

I was disappointed with the way they left everything open-ended - bad guy is elswhere, bad girl is probably drowned - but maybe not - and the good guy is badly injured - maybe fatal? Obvious set up for a follow-up movie.

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2018, 05:45:14 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2018, 08:00:12 pm »

The music on Blade Runner 2049 was too extreme in places. I felt it laboured too much in trying to be Van Gellis like. It had too many tropes that this type of film can be expected to have. I didn't feel it as I did with Fury Road two years before, but then my Uncle died the day after I watched Blade Runner 2049, so maybe I was sensing something that ruined my film watching consciousness?

I know a film isn't doing it for me when I get excited by the bits of scrap metal in the background, thinking of what I could make with them!

Pond weed is your enemy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2018, 11:10:36 pm »

Hi all I have hearing difficulties associated with age and find that some films where the dialogue is whispered I just do not hear.  I do enjoy the cinema though and love to see 3D films, but not seen one for a while now.  Just had my hearing aids adjusted at the local hospital so am hoping for some improvement.
regards Roy

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2018, 11:18:19 am »

Last film I went to watch was SO loud....

Does your hearing aids have the 'T' ( Loop) setting Roy?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2018, 06:26:28 pm »

Hi all, just seen Jurassic Park (Fallen Kingdom).  Not sure where to start but here goes, the big reptiles were believable, the cast a bit less so the story line when I could hear it, seemed to get itself into a mess several times and the answer was throw in another dinosaur.  The molten lava was treated more like hot treacle, you cannot get that near to it and survive.  There were lots of quite good cgi but no excitement. I saw the previous film and that was good, usual shocks etc. In this one maybe more of Jeff Goldblum would have helped it along?  And a few less dinosaurs.
My daughter thought 2/10 and I think that is about right.
Regards Roy

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2018, 08:47:34 pm »

Deadpool 2 - best film of the year so far! Hilarious, violent, brilliantly done.

Solo - dreadful - contrived garbage - every thing we could ever piece together about Solo, the Falcon, Chewy, Kessel, Lando etc. all crammed into one big mess. I gave up on it after an hour of trying to watch it. Hoped they would all die in a blaster malfunction incident.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2018, 07:54:01 pm »

Saw  Ocean's 8 a couple of days ago - couldn't sit through it - awful.

In the 'male' versions of these heist-flicks, the characters present themselves with their look, voice and acting.In this half-assed version, all the women are dressed up and made up (heavily, to cover the cracks in the 'more mature' ladies) so they clash with their supposed characters.To overcome this glaring problem, they have to grossly over-act each part - so when there is more than one on the screen at any time, they act all over each other, badly, until you just can't take it any more. 45 minutes - done.

Incredibles 2 - AWESOME - yes, it's a kids film, but after a sluggish, predictable start, it gets really good - very enjoyable - actually made me laugh out loud.  :-)) 

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2018, 09:27:11 am »

Looks like a new Das Boot is on the books!!  :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Viasat World boards Das Boot   -   http://www.c21media.net/viasat-world-boards-das-boot/

European pay TV operator Viasat World has acquired the rights to event series Das Boot (8×60’) for its scripted channel Epic Drama.

The company has also picked up season two of an adaptation of Stephen King’s novel Mr Mercedes for its ViP Premiere channel and ViP SVoD service.

Das Boot is a coproduction between US-based Sonar Entertainment, Sky in Germany and Bavaria Fiction.

It was inspired by Wolfgang Petersen’s 1981 movie adaptation of Lothar-Günther Buchheim’s novel, published in 1973, about the voyage of a German U-boat in the Second World War.

The series is directed by Andreas Prochaska (The Dark Valley) and Tony Saint (Margaret Thatcher: The Long Walk to Finchley) and Johannes W Betz (Der Tunnel) are the writers.

Executive producers on the project are Moritz Polter, Oliver Vogel and Jan Kaiser for Bavaria; Marcus Ammon and Frank Jastfelder for Sky; and Jenna Santoianni for Sonar.

The show was filmed in Munich, La Rochelle, Prague and Malta with two original storylines running in parallel, on land and sea.

The second season of Mr Mercedes has also been picked up by Viasat exclusively. Season one aired on its TV1000 Premium channel, before its recent rebrand to ViP Premiere.

Set to launch in August, the Sonar series will have a second season of 10 episodes.

The show is written by David E Kelley (Big Little Lies, Ally McBeal) and Dennis Lehane (Mystic River, The Drop, Live by Night) and directed by Jack Bender (Game of Thrones, Lost, Under the Dome).

The second season is based on Stephen King’s bestselling Bill Hodges trilogy, which includes Mr Mercedes, Finders Keepers and End of Watch.

King, Kelley, Bender, Lehane, Marty Bowen and Wyck Godfrey of Temple Hill Entertainment, and Tom Lesinski and Jenna Santoianni of Sonar are the executive producers.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2018, 12:04:53 pm »

Looks like a new Das Boot is on the books!!  :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Viasat World boards Das Boot   -   http://www.c21media.net/viasat-world-boards-das-boot/

European pay TV operator Viasat World has acquired the rights to event series Das Boot (8×60’) for its scripted channel Epic Drama.

So, kind of a "Das Boote re-boot!"
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2018, 12:13:13 pm »

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2018, 12:25:32 pm »

That reminds me that the Germans have produced some very good TV dramas set during the WW2 (Babylon Berlin, Generation War), and the Cold War (Deutschland '83). I am looking forward to the new Das Boot. Or the Das Boot reboot (can I say that?).
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2018, 05:48:13 pm »

This is sacrilege!

Das Boot is perfect in every way - really claustrophobic.

Das ReBoot will be yet another cheaply done flick with tons of cheap CGI to keep the costs down. WHY?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.