Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Mayhem Film Club....  (Read 59407 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mayhem Film Club....
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2012, 11:50:41 pm »

But the classic definition of science fiction is that you introduce a main inventive idea and then proceed to construct a logical framework around it which is consistent with that innovation buit does not otherwise breach natural laws of physics etc. In that way you enable your readers to suspend reality.

So introducing the Aliens may be OK but to expect a bunch of caretakers to reactivate a decommissioned WW2 battleship stretches the bounds of reality.

I read a book once which featured a terrorist attack on the QE2 using a hijacked submarine. So far, so good. But then the author went on to let the liner absorb no less than six hits from modern torpedoes and still keep going to make port safely! Oh Yeah?!

Colin

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2012, 04:05:37 am »

So introducing the Aliens may be OK but to expect a bunch of caretakers to reactivate a decommissioned WW2 battleship stretches the bounds of reality.

Trust me when I tell you that this is the least of the stretches of the bounds of reality - you get over this one quite easily. It's when they drop the anchor on the port side in order to pivot the Missouri around to quickly deliver a broadside that the bounds of reality not only were stretched but thoroughly broken, cast into disarray and left to sink into the Pacific Ocean, while the flights of the writers fancy flew to unimaginable heights, tethered by neither reason nor gravity, but only by the capability of the CGI team to create a realistic looking event...

Have I illustrated my point?  ;)
Alister

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2012, 09:54:23 am »

Have I illustrated my point?  ;)

So, you didn't think much of it then.....?
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2012, 01:33:21 pm »

the bounds of reality not only were stretched but thoroughly broken, cast into disarray and left to sink into the Pacific Ocean
Are we moving into the UK, and the reasons why Fracking can't hurt the environment? <*<

Sorry lads - back to the subject. It's entertainment and escapism and if it is done well enough then it has achieved it's goal.
Unlike Cloverfields 'reportage on a hand held camera type of approach' plain annoying to watch and with a really cruddy ending.
There are many much respected fims that are completely preposterous when examined.

Dave

ken224

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2012, 01:50:10 pm »

Went to see on its release, loving si fi, me and the wife thought it was a good film, especially when they brought  the mighty Missouri back to life, feasible (but not in that time frame) A good film pointing out be careful what you wish for. Well worth watching in my opinion

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2012, 01:53:28 pm »

Look, its got battleships and spaceships in it, it aint Shakespeare is it? Sometimes a bit of escapist entertainment is good for the soul. Mind you, some recent offerings have left me less than impressed first time round. It usually takes at least two to three viewings for me to realise I am watching a Turkey!
Transformers 3 on DVD=Cobblers, £5.00 I could have spent on superglue to glue my eyelids shut, more interesting to watch.
Alien 3, hated it at first, have now developed a new found respect for it.
U571, good effects work, best watched with the sound turned down! Imagine English accents...
Pear Harbor, wind on 65 minutes, enjoy the pyrotechnics and turn off before the fly past of the weird 'Japanese Fleet!'
Just recently watched 'The Cruel Sea' again, truly, they dont make em like they used to. Didn't see one spaceship!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2012, 02:35:32 pm »

Not my sort of film but I don't know whats the big deal about anchoring at speed - I know it was done in San Carlos water
when HMS Argonaut had been bombed and was heading for the rocks at full speed - it saved her from destruction
I think I would be a bit more dubious about these aliens. I suppose there could be some living in Milton Keynes

Geoff

Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2012, 02:57:43 pm »

I suppose there could be some living in Milton Keynes

They'll be the lads running The Open University's  Space Sciences Project

Dave

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2012, 03:45:18 pm »

Great Film, just switch off yer brain, and enjoy,..as for aliens in Milton Keynes, I don,t know,perhaps the writer is trying to mis-lead us,
Wullie,s place is an apology free zone

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2012, 06:43:15 pm »

Just recently watched 'The Cruel Sea' again, truly, they dont make em like they used to. Didn't see one spaceship!

obviously you may not have noticed a bit of science fiction in the Cruel Sea - the Seagulls flying backwards - after the Compass Rose does a depth charge attack on the men in the water.  

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2012, 06:51:34 pm »

obviously you may not have noticed a bit of science fiction in the Cruel Sea - the Seagulls flying backwards - after the Compass Rose does a depth charge attack on the men in the water.  

aye
john

They will do anything for a chip....

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2012, 07:15:25 pm »

the Seagulls flying backwards

Aw, now I'm going to have to watch it all over again  %) :}

Dave

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2012, 07:27:44 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKQAflZrXpU

:-)) :-))
Aw, now I'm going to have to watch it all over again  %) :}

Dave

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2012, 07:58:46 pm »

Thanks John

Probably the best scene/acting I've ever seen. I can't think of better - can anyone?

At about 4:10 on that clip, rather than looking down at the men in the water
the lads look upwards and grimace- I must have watched the film many times
before it dawned on me what they were actually seeing.

Dave

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2012, 02:59:56 pm »

Great Film, just switch off yer brain, and enjoy,..as for aliens in Milton Keynes, I don,t know,perhaps the writer is trying to mis-lead us,

O0 O0 O0

I went to see Battleship last night: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battleship_(film)

6 /10 because it's quite spectacular in a teenage film genre!

Lots of American flag waving.
Plot is silly, really quite stupid, but at least it did have a plot... sort off!

If you know anything or are particular about, ships, ship manoeuvring, proper naval chain-of-command, the strength of a ship’s anchor or chain,  ship engineering or mechanics, Newton's Three Laws of Motion, Einstein theory of relativity, astro physics, gun dynamics and blast radiuses, ballistic missiles of any flavour, targeting systems, ship engineering, in fact physics of any kind! acting, plausibility, credibility, Miranda law or Chicken Burrito's  -  don't go and see this film!

Very predictable and plodding plot, very slow at the beginning, usual unnecessary characters… especially the girl!, A couple of scenes with the  radio astronomer character did make me chuckle and one scene was a clever wink against the usual plot  line. I didn’t understand the amputee war veteran character at all but it turns out he wasn't an actor!

I noticed a couple of ‘nods’ to the Batleship board game, see if you can spot them when you see it…..

I don’t like Rihanna, (the singer ) the girl lead in the film, and this film confirmed my beliefs! Tadanobu Asano  the Japanese Naval commander was probably the most plausible character in the film but that’s not really saying much.  Liam Neeson still looks good on screen and delivered his line according to contract but no more than that.

Great sound, as good special effects as I would expect these days and better on a big screen than the telly but I don’t think I’ll be first in the queue when the DVD comes out. Tuesday’s is cheap night at the Huntingdon cineworld £5.60 (and didn’t but popcorn etc…)  so I didn’t feel ripped off, the film was worth that much!

Next firm for the Mayhem film club: PROMETHEUS     
http://www.prometheus-movie.com/

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2012, 05:27:52 pm »

Amen to that, Mr Ridley of the Scott can do no wrong in my eyes....

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2012, 06:24:40 pm »

Wasn't there a flick a bit like this years ago, Midway or something similar? Hornets shooting down Zeros and the like?
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2012, 09:48:09 pm »

I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2012, 11:35:57 pm »

So, you didn't think much of it then.....?

Don't get me wrong, I was entertained, it just wasn't terribly wonderful.
Alister

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2012, 01:37:51 pm »

PROMETHEUS!!!!! drool, preview, looks very pre Alien,....now counting the days,and for those that liked Alien etc, why not vist the Giger museum in the Chateau St Germain in Gruyere,

Wullie,s place is an apology free zone

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2013, 12:04:10 am »

Just back from seeing Oblivion, with Tom Cruse..... 9-10!

http://youtu.be/A27xPYvqERw
http://www.oblivionmovie2013.com/

Very good take on several previous films that have been done before but well worth going to the flicks!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2013, 07:01:41 am »

>>:-( I didn't like it too noisy and poor acting,the script pushed credibility to the limit,girls liked it must be an age thing,I went to the bar even
a poor film looks better after a few pints,Ray >>:-( >>:-(
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Mayhem Film club
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2017, 01:31:17 pm »

Hi all just seen the new version of Murder on the orient Express.  I was disappointed generally.  The very large loco pulling just 4 coaches was a bit odd, but there were several scenes in the snow when the actors breath should have been apparent.  I have hearing aids so notice the sound quality and this was up and down apart from several actors speaking either very low pitch or away from the microphones which left me behind withing 20 minutes.
These days we seem to be informed ahead of time how the film was made so I knew there was a relatively short track laid and they went up and down on it. So it is mainly c.g.i.   How 10 guys on a push pull 4 wheeled waggon got the engine back on the rails defies imagination.
There was a tongue in cheek reference to a murder on the Nile which he receives a telegram to attend, I suspect we shall not be getting this film as a sequel.

Only 5/10, my daughter agreed with this too.
regards Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mayhem Film club
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2017, 01:59:36 pm »

Just back from Egypt myself and I wear hearing aids too so it was truly a case of Deaf on the Nile.  :}

Colin

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Mayhem Film club
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2017, 02:49:49 pm »

Thanks for the "heads up" Roy.  Quite a few productions have particularly bad sound quality, especially for those of us who wear hearing aids.  As you say, mumbled or even whispered dialogue, especially away from the camera so you can't even lip read, with loud overlaid sound effects that drown everything else out.  It is getting far too common.

BBC Dramas are especially bad, although the adverts up the sound volume and clarity.  The worst movie IMO in recent years was Gravity -  All the whispering and mumbling was drowned out by hissing and other electronic 'space' effects.  No idea what the ending meant.

Worst of all time?  The Godfather.  Marlon took cotton-wool-in mouth mumbling to new extremes.

I have turned off, or even walked out, if I can't hear enough of the dialogue to follow the plot.

Rant over.   <*<
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.