Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Informing Insurance Companies  (Read 2955 times)

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
Informing Insurance Companies
« on: March 06, 2014, 07:36:16 pm »

Hi  well having just escaped from Hospital now had a stent fitted (AngioPlasty)  appararently having had a  heart attack some 2 weeks back . I know one does not have to inform the DVLA but obviously must your  Ins co. Anyone had any deallings in this field Hospital doctor says ok to drive in one weeks time. I will be talking to the Ins Co tomorrow  and forewarned is forearmed Re any Ploys they might pull to squeeze even more out the client
Jay

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Informing Insurance Companies
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 07:54:32 pm »

surely now you have a stent fitted you will be less likely to collapse and have an accident?? so they should be bringing your premiums down. (wheres the tongue in cheek smiley when you want it?)
I was lucky - when I had my heart problem, after 2 months they finally determined (by sticking a camera up my arteries) that it had indeed been myocarditus (an infection in the muscle round the heart) and not a true heart problem (my arteries were pronounced clear as a bell), so as such it was a non informable problem, it was only then they said I could drive again - well after the week long not being able to drive due to the artery checkup.

Grendel

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 08:56:32 pm »

Hi Jay

If your medical practitioner deems you fit to drive in a weeks time, can I ask why it is necessary to tell your insurance company that you have had medical treatment?

Craig
Forget all insults, always remember compliments.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 09:18:50 pm »

If your medical practitioner deems you fit to drive in a weeks time, can I ask why it is necessary to tell your insurance company that you have had medical treatment?

Rather depends upon the small print of the policy I think.

Colin

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 10:19:10 pm »

once you tell they , you can not go back. Be very carfull what you tell them. your call

john

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 10:55:12 pm »

Craig because the hospital says you must

John whilst I agree could you live with the Insurance not paying out on a serious injury to  a third party. I just spoke to a neighbour who had by bypass a couple of years ago mainly to find out if he had any problems or inceases with it. From his vague cant remembers I d guess he Kept it to himself. I'll post whatever comes up inmy case
Jay

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 12:31:29 am »

Even though far afield my "guess" would be that all policies, for whatever coverage, accident, life, fire, Income protection, etc, contain a disclosure provision.

Simply put, this is the clause that allows them, Insurance Companies, not to pay a claim, because, You, failed to disclose some pertinent, (in their opinion) information.

So if your policy has a disclosure condition then tell them.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 02:08:27 am »

You could ask Citizens Advice
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

wee speug

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 02:52:05 am »

like RG..says..better tell them,..you never know whats round the corner,...you could be driving down the road and someone runs into the back of you..their fault,..but if it comes out in the wash that you,ve recently had surgery, and they don,t know about it...then you,d better believe that..."Oh!! you did,nt tell us about that....Insurance companies ...will use any trick in the book..not to pay out...it would,nt matter if you,ve never had a claim...the minute you do...then they go over everything with a fine toothed comb...how do i know...well a similar thing happened to me last April,....but lucky for me, i,d told my insurance company.and DVLA that i,d been diagnozed with Sleep Apnoea,...it never pushed my premium up,...but...when i was involved in a Non fault collision..the other insurers, tried to aportion blame to me, once they,d seen my medical records,..but because i,d notified my insurers the year before...the other insurers did,nt have a leg to stand on
Come, and I will show you,where the Iron Crosses grow

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 03:22:54 am »

BTW, you are not allowed to drive for 12 weeks (I think) after heart surgery, not sure if there are any rules for stent procedures. This is a DVLA rule.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

inertia

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 09:05:34 am »

This from DVLA website (www.gov.uk/angioplasty-and-driving):

Car or motorcycle licence
You don’t need to tell DVLA that you’ve had any type of angioplasty.
However, you should stop driving for at least 1 week after this procedure and only start driving again when your doctor says that you are safe to do so.
Read ‘Car or motorcycle drivers with heart conditions’ for more information about heart conditions and driving.

DM

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 10:23:26 am »

Guys not looking for  a whether to disclose or not I fully intend to  just wondered what problems etc., any of you might have come across in so doing
 DM Oh I've already read that all right :}

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 10:49:20 am »

When I was diagnosed with Diabetes type 2 the surgery advised me to inform DVLA and the insurance, and again when I was put on Statins.  Both required me to say whether my Doctor had advised me not to drive. It does not seem to have affected subsequent premiums though.

Later when moving to another insurer I was specifically asked about medical conditions, then whether my Doctor had advised me not to drive.  So, there is a 'need to know' disclosure basis, but may only affect your insurable status depending on the medical condition and its severity.

If in doubt ask your Doctor.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 03:30:48 pm »

Well informed them today seems ok just added to my details no mention of any increase trouble is  the client has no proof they have disclosed.

Bob Diabetes is a different can of worms someone I know  though not which type he has  is on a if he has an ambulance called out twice in a year bang goes his Licence not to mention if he has a turn whilst in the car he has to get in the passengers seat and remove the keys  // You only need to inform the DVLA if you are on insulin
Jay

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 06:35:32 pm »

Jay.  Whilst your scenario is indeed different, type 2 diabetes is informable dependant on medications being prescribed, not just for type 1 or more extreme forms of 2 (also requiring injections). It is the actual medication, rather than just the general condition. 
Your G.P. will advise you when you need to contact them, as he did with me.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 07:35:08 pm »

Bob yes i said that its mainly insulin that seems to  be the key as per  the dvla site shows  Heart conditions  very few are  reportable anyway. Doctors work more on a belt and braces  formula to protect themselves when I had my first knee op I kept getting  passed on the line as I would not accept a blanket figure of weeks A left knee op  affecting driving an Auto? they started off with the possible drugs remaining in the system but no residency times to  back up. I requested a blood test  to prove either way ah! but! and so on, the eventual answer  Oh but if you have an accident and they find drugs  wow seems the Police have better testing equipment than the hospitals :}  yes I can be an awkward sod  but not with insurance companies ;)
Jay

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 08:04:47 pm »

Jay:  It is not just insulin.  I seriously advise you to consult your G.P. if you are unsure, as I have said here more than once.  I tend to take my Doctors advice, and informing both the DVLA and insurance people was required, and noted by them.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 10:21:39 pm »

Bob methinks we are at X purposes here  lets leave Diabetes out of it as I am not .My condition is  the Heart and absolutely not notifiable to the DVLA only to the insurance  co which I have done . My OP was  purely about if anyone had  been in the same situation/condition  and any problems they may or may not have had on informing their Ins co which as said I have now done
Jay

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 10:36:17 am »

Only problem you may have Jay is travel insurance in which you HAVE to inform them when taking out a policy. Insurance covers you for everything EXCEPT heart conditions, they also charge more for their courtesy.   O0

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 05:21:46 pm »

Cheers Iain thats no problem in my case seen enough at the taxpayers expense no desire to sally forth again :}
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.