Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Tamiya Race Truck project  (Read 20967 times)

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
Tamiya Race Truck project
« on: February 28, 2014, 11:40:52 am »

Ken...or any of you model truckers...is it possible to convert one of the Tamiya truck into a race truck? Something like the one in the pic below.

Rich

( Topic spit from: Tamiya Trucks and Trailers - http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,38582.0.html  )
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Re: Tamiya Race Truck project
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 11:46:53 am »

Yes

The chassis are metal and can be modified so I see no reason it couldn't be done.  You won't be able to keep up with a normal one in top gear anyway.  I should imagine  a bigger motor would suffice.

Count me out however.  The though of all that loveliness tipping over would horrify me.   %)

Cheers

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 11:48:08 am »

I'm tempted...very tempted.

Rich
Rich

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 12:02:07 pm »

Rich

IanPal

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 12:03:50 pm »

Now that I would like to see, nice bit of drifting too but as ken points out you may have to add some weight to the chassis behind those skirts to keep it shiny side up. As the tamiya kits do tend to be a little top heavy as they are when going a full pelt. That's why a lot don't use the kit supplied motor and some lock the gearbox so it wont go into 3rd/top gear.

If you do go for it Rich give me a shout once it's done so I can come and watch, I can't be that far from you as I'm in sussex too.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 12:07:57 pm »

I am very tempted to have a try at one, I will admit...it's something I've never done. Way back when, I did used to race the Mardave 1/8th scale stock cars, but never followed it on. This appeals to me though...

Trying to resist...must resist...must...

Rich
Rich

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
Rich

IanPal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 12:47:53 pm »

cheaper here...

http://www.fusionhobbies.com/product/56305-tamiya-mercedes-benz-1838-ls

you will find the chassis and running gear are the same for that Volvo and Merc, only the body thats different.

Ian

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 12:52:53 pm »

This is all your fault, Ian (and Ken) you can see why I'm divorced  %)

The deed is about to be done...good thing it's pension day today. Ah well, it's only money...

Rich
Rich

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 02:51:38 pm »

Well, for good or bad, it's done...I ordered the FH12 Volvo from Wonderland Models, and now I'm busy researching race truck designs and paint schemes. Our local electric car racing club is only five minutes drive from here, so next job is to contact them and enquire if I can give it a run on their track when it's done.

Stand by for pages of questions, chaps...this is totally new ground for me. Oh, and I've also joined the Tamiya Truckin forum, so there's no escape. Ken...  %)

Best I go and make some room before the kit arrives...

Rich
Rich

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 03:57:50 pm »

Well done that man.    :}

That was a good price.  I would like to know the postage and delivery time for the records.

I'm in several Tamiya clubs so we might meet up again.  Look out for  TamiyaKen.  (original I know !!)  These places are very good with the back up to a member, as they started me out OK.  The first thing to do is to look into the motor selections, as you are going racing and the choices are around for different speed and torques.

Keep us informed.     :-))

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

IanPal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 04:02:57 pm »

Well done Rich, looking forward to seeing some pics.

One thing I would say is buy some Lock thread for the nuts and bolts, and there's lots of them. they do have a tendency to vibrate/work loose.
I think if I remember right you do get a small tub in the kit but I bought mine in local car accessory shop.

What motor are you thinking of putting in it or haven't you thought that far ahead yet?

One more question, which local car racing club?

Ian

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 04:30:46 pm »

Thanks guys...Ken, I did happen to see you on the TT forum. Wonderland are out of stock of the kit, but they have promised me it will be in within two days, so I'll keep you informed.

Ian, haven't got that far yet...that'll be one of the questions I'll be firing soon, along with radio/servo choices, etc. I do have a Planet 5 channel or a 2 channel pistol grip radio, seeing as how I'll not be fitting the bells and whistles to it, I'll not be needing anything multi function (will I?)

I've only just made a start on making room for it on the work desk, been tucking submarines on top of the wardrobes and under the bed out of harms way, next is to sort out the tools, etc.

Local club is...umm...I don't know. Hang on...oh yes, Eastbourne Electric Car Club ( http://www.eecc.co.uk/forum/ ) just five minutes up the A22 from me.

Rich
Rich

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 04:54:15 pm »

One thing I have noticed...race trucks seem to have cut down cabs, which I'm a bit apprehensive about doing...slicing into £300's+ worth of truck kit is a bit nerve wracking to say the least!

Rich
Rich

IanPal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 05:39:10 pm »

yes I agree, I wouldn't want to be cutting it either. once you start though there's no going back  :D
Another thing I've thought of is don't use the bearings that come in the kit, they are utter rubbish bushes,, buy some ball race bearings, you can get the whole set for the truck including gearbox for a few quid.

If they give you permission to give it a run on their track let me know ad I'll bring my Scaina down to give you something to race against. you would leave mine standing though as it has a carson motor in it. but I'm only 5 mins drive from eastbourne.

Ian

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 05:59:00 pm »

That's interesting to know Ian...where do I get the bearings from? (here comes the expense...  <:( )

You must be very close to me then, if you're only five minutes from Eastbourne...I'm in Polegate, again about five minutes from Eastbourne.

Rich
Rich

IanPal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 06:25:55 pm »

There are a few places that sell them but I bought mine from these guys and had no problems.

http://www.rcbearings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=742

They really do make a huge difference and one big benefit is they will give you a longer run time from the battery.

Yes I am close, I'm up the road in Hailsham   {-)

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 06:43:48 pm »

That's great, thanks for that link, Ian. I have discovered that I can get replacement cabs from eBay, so I think I may get one to try out the lowering cut, that way if  it works I'll have a spare one...if not, well I haven't ruined the kit.

I guess if you're in Hailsham, you'll have cursed me when in your car...I used to drive a sweeper for the council before retiring on ill health grounds. If there was a queue of traffic, I was at the head of it...

Rich
Rich

Stavros

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 07:50:18 pm »

I think those who have these WONDERFULL BEASTS must bring them to Mayhem this year SO I CAN DROOL

Dave

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 08:10:51 pm »

That counts me out, then...I haven't even got it yet, should be here early next week. I hope...then I have to build it.

Rich
Rich

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 08:47:44 pm »

youll probably find the supplied motor will be fine for racing , although its not recomended for the normal scale type driving most of us partake in !  ive built mine without having the tamiya all signing mfu , but have fitted an mtroniks rv esc plus a servo to change gear , the gear selection is via a three position switch on my tx . i would recomend putting some weight over the rear axle if you plan just runnig solo , without my trailer i can spin the wheels even in first gear ! as for a suitable track , my mate and i have used the fareham raceway during the daytime , nice large track and undercover !

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 08:16:10 am »

Thanks for that info, keep it coming..

Here we go then...questions:

Servos: what size servos do I need? Standard, mini or micro?
ESC: I'm guessing I won't be able to use a boat type esc, so what's the ideal one to get?
Aftermarket parts: I see on eBay there's replacement cabs available. Does any cab fit the Volvo chassis? I'm thinking of buying one for the initial body chop, see how it comes out before cutting the kit one.
Last one: Can I leave out the cab interior, I'd like to fit a race type interior in mine with a roll cage, switch panel to one side of the seat, etc.

Thanks chaps,

Rich
Rich

IanPal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 09:15:41 am »

I'll try and answer some of your questions Rich...

1/ Standard size servos fit fine.

2/ I cant help with the ESC as mine has the Tamiya MFU sound unit which has a built in ESC, but cant see why a standard one would not work. you could always try contacting Hunter systems, he has ESC's and is only around the corner from you?

3/most cabs will fit your chassis, they attach via a pair of hinges at the front so the cab can tilt forward, As I said most of the chassis are the same with just the cabs being different. the bonneted King hauler or Aeromax may well bit different but I dont think your after that type anyway are you?

4/ yep you can leave the interior out or make your own, in fact a race interior would look really good, but I'm not sure if the Volvo still comes with smoked/blacked out windows. I have a feeling they did, but my Scania has clear windows.

Heres another one for you to think about, google steering set up on tamiya truck, there are a few mods you can do to give you far better steering. I did mine and you get a better turning circle and a lot less slop in the linkage.

Hope that helps
Ian

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2014, 09:34:31 am »

I'll try and answer some of your questions Rich...

1/ Standard size servos fit fine.

Great, I have three brand new standard sized ones.

2/ I cant help with the ESC as mine has the Tamiya MFU sound unit which has a built in ESC, but cant see why a standard one would not work. you could always try contacting Hunter systems, he has ESC's and is only around the corner from you?

I know Graham very well, we were neighbours for over twenty years, I'll give him a call later.

3/most cabs will fit your chassis, they attach via a pair of hinges at the front so the cab can tilt forward, As I said most of the chassis are the same with just the cabs being different. the bonneted King hauler or Aeromax may well bit different but I dont think your after that type anyway are you?

That's good news, I think the MAN would be a suitable replacement, it seems to be a lower cab to start with.

4/ yep you can leave the interior out or make your own, in fact a race interior would look really good, but I'm not sure if the Volvo still comes with smoked/blacked out windows. I have a feeling they did, but my Scania has clear windows.

More good news...I don't mind what type of windows it comes with, as I'll be leaving the driver's side open and the passenger side half down anyway, I'll be fitting safety netting as well. Even better that I can scratch build the race interior, there's not that much to it anyway compared to the standard sleeper cabs.

Heres another one for you to think about, google steering set up on tamiya truck, there are a few mods you can do to give you far better steering. I did mine and you get a better turning circle and a lot less slop in the linkage.

I'll do that Ian, thanks for the tip...much appreciated.

Hope that helps
Ian

That's helped a lot, many thanks for being patient with me. As I've said, this is totally new ground to me, so the more information I can get, the better off I'll be when it comes to the building of the beast. I've cleared the slipway ready for the truck's arrival, the wardrobes are full of boats, there's boats on top of the wardrobes and under the bed as well (I have to build my models in my bedroom, I live in a small flat at the moment) I'm hoping it will be delivered early next week, so I've plenty of time to get stuck into researching these race trucks.

Thanks again, Ian...

Rich
Rich

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2014, 12:03:32 pm »

A slight deviation from plan...I've changed my order from the Volvo to the Merc 1838 LS, it has a much lower cab to start with, and will save me attacking the Volvo cab with a razor saw, something I wasn't looking forward to doing.

Apart from that...Plan A will continue.

Rich
Rich

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.