Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SHB Triton  (Read 2042 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
SHB Triton
« on: June 29, 2007, 02:26:12 am »

Here are some photos of a model of the Southampton Harbour Board Triton I built, from plans in "Model Boats" December 2006. The plans were done by Richard Webb, and his boat was built from styrene sheet. I had the plans enlarged to give a hull length of 76cm, and used 1mm and 1.5mm ply. The deck planks are New Guinea rosewood cut to 1mm thickness on my Proxxon miniature table saw, and glued to a sub deck of 1.5mm ply. The stanchions and railings are soldered up from brass wire and spray painted, which makes them appear rather thick, but overall I am quite happy with the result, and it sails very well on our lake in sunny Ballina, NSW, Australia.
Peter.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: SHB Triton
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 09:20:41 am »

Looks great, better than in the magazine.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

big-geoff

• Full Mayhemer
  • Whats that button for?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 10:17:49 pm »

Great looking model.

When I built my version of TSMV Lochiel "MV Portsea" I had to make a jig for all the handrails, fortunatly I had discovered Bakers Soldering Fluid, great stuff etches the surfaces to be joined and makes the solder flow beautifully, does not stop you from burning your fingers or the kitchen table.

I work to the ethos "If it looks OK it is OK" any variation in scale is lost when the model is on the water veiwed at a distance, so dont worry about the handrails, you have made a good model there.

I like the free plans that are published in the magazines, they are a great opportunity to have a play by altering changing the size and scale, generally making something unique.

Best regards

Big-Geoff

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 01:28:29 am »

Hi Big-Geoff,
I used a jig for the handrails too, it makes a tedious job much easier. I have been using Bakers Fluid for many years now, and do not attempt to soft solder without it. You are absolutely right, it does not prevent burnt fingers though!! I generally silver solder (braze) any joints that may be under stress, and have found it to be quite easy to do, once I plucked up the courage to have a go. I make my own prop shaft assemblies and usually fit a grease tube to them, I use outboard motor grease, and silver solder them for added strength.
I like your model of the "Portsea", where did you get the plans for it, and how long is it?
Regards,
Peter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.